Why become a member? ×

Status Quo hanging up their electric guitars

KingPrawn

I know there a band that have come in for a lot of ridicule at times and possibly should of hung their guitars many years ago. I have to admit an underlying respect for the band. Their consistency for making a living out of a good shuffle and pretending they use only three chords. The first big gig I went to aged 11 at the NEC in 1980, Prince Charles was there. I think any fledgling bass play would do well to listen to Alan Lancasters driving bass lines. Himself and John Coghlan were an engine room to be reckoned with. End of a very drawn out era

I have a soft spot for Quo. I think they are responsible for my hearing loss later in life :) I saw them for the first time in 1972 when they were touring to promote the album Piledriver. The single 'Paper Plane' had just been released. 'There is a space at the front next to those big speakers' I said, so that is where we stood. Rob Young's harmonica in 'Railroad' went straight through my head - very painful - and I couldn't hear properly for 3 days afterwards. Back then they were young, fresh and powerful - no-one else was playing blues rock quite like it IMO and I saw them half a dozen times in the early to mid 70s.

Trouble is, again IMO, if you saw them back then you realise what a pastiche of themselves they have become in recent [s]years[/s] decades.

http://youtu.be/IBlLfuGKmOU

Respect to Quo, although as someone has already said I'm sure they'll be back out rocking the Teles one day.

I met Rick Parfitt once years ago, briefly, at a pub in Gloucestershire; he seemed like a decent guy. (Bizarrely he was at the bar with Wayne Hussey from The Mission...) As rhythm guitarists go he's damn near invincible I reckon.

They were the perfect antidote to all those po-faced, humourless tossers who don't realise that Brian Pern is as much them as he is PG. No pretension, just straight-ahead boogie. If they really have stopped, it's a loss...

one of my favourite lines, is "Before Punk all we had was Status Quo" when talking to younger mates who are slagging them off because all they know about is there god awful covers albums and that bloody awful record, (the start of their decline) 'rocking all over the world', not quiet true but you should know what I mean, their albums up to Rocking all over the world just rocked.
Saw their original line up tour a couple of years ago, brilliant, shame they fell out with Alan Lancaster (one of the bassist who made me want to play bass) but I suspect he could see the way it was going

Edited by PaulWarning

Legends. I think their own success is exactly why they are their own Tribute Band. They've stuck to the same formula, once they stumbled upon it, and it works. It fills arenas and shifts records.

They are to UK music what ZZ Top are to the US. Been around forever, stuck to the same method, your Dad has one of their albums and the band are not remotely serious about themselves.

Was lucky enough to see them last February at a private 70th birthday party as a surprise for a friend of my Dad's. Apparently the birthday boy's wife paid just short of £300k for 45 mins. Worth every penny though. Bloody brilliant

MMM we'll see but maybe this is just about it for the Mighty Quo. I've had the pleasure of meeting both Rhino Edwards (finger player, therefore poncy) , the new bassist who joined 30 years ago, and also Alan Lancaster ( pick player, therefore proper) the original bassist - who is very short btw & I'm not coming from a position of strength height wise. Both of them supported our Bass Relay very generously and without any nonsense.

I First saw the original Quo in 1979 and again in the recent Frantic Four reunion tours & also a few times in - between. It's a bit like missing a soap on TV for ages and tuning back in - there may be some changes here & there but you pretty much know what to expect , although there may be a shocker now and then , like a change in the set list.
AS a friend said to me many years ago - once the Quo have played Bye Bye Johnny, get your coat because they're not coming back.

[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1454519051' post='2970457']
Was lucky enough to see them last February at a private 70th birthday party as a surprise for a friend of my Dad's. Apparently the birthday boy's wife paid just short of £300k for 45 mins. Worth every penny though. Bloody brilliant
[/quote]£300,000 for a 45 minute set, no wonder they can afford to retire :)

[quote name='Donnyboy' timestamp='1454522529' post='2970514']
MMM we'll see but maybe this is just about it for the Mighty Quo. I've had the pleasure of meeting both Rhino Edwards (finger player, therefore poncy) , the new bassist who joined 30 years ago, and also Alan Lancaster ( pick player, therefore proper) the original bassist
[/quote]head nail hit, they were never the same with Rhino on bass, a fine player I believe, but just not right for Quo, although Quid Pro Quo and Heavy Traffic were good albums