Why become a member? ×

Indoctrinating the nation's 5 year olds in funk and disco...

TrevorR

Having a 5 year old you end up watching some funny old stuff on the telly. Latest from CBeebies is a show called Go Jetters. Designed to teach kids a bit about world geography it features four cutesie manga style adventurers who travel the world in a spaceship. But here's where it gets a bit interesting... They are led by UberCorn, a disco unicorn with the voice of Huggy Bear and the sparkly disco jump suit of Travolta!

And boy, does this show rock! Or rather it funks and discos with all its might! The sound track is the perfect cheesy pastiche of 70s funk and disco. The theme tune channels the theme of the Linda Gray version of Wonder Woman, all big Philly strings and horns, wah wah guitar and funky bass... Plus it features the vocals of the wonderful Sharleen Linton. Goodness knows what they were on when they thought up this show but, it must have been some good stuff.

And when you get to UberCorn's Funky Facts there's some pretty cool slap bass going on! The music is by Banks & Wag. Worth a listen.

Anyway, git your funk on to this...

http://youtu.be/REBUEe3mtXo

http://youtu.be/WDvVRH6bq3Q

Edited by TrevorR

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1454540825' post='2970742']
Stuart Zender on zingzillas was my favourite.

Now one 6 year old is convinced she's the next Tal, and my lad has a customised Harley Benton shortie lefty...and matching mini Ashdown

Great stuff, mine love Chic.
[/quote]Andrew you can't post that without showing how fantastic this is.I love the monkeys London accent. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJrHWmCjfx0

Yeah, ZingZillas is a top show and another fave. I recall a while back a "how low has Stu fallen?" thread about that. However, when you look at their roster of muso guests it's quite an exalted group. From Nicola Benedetti and Julian Lloyd Webber to The Gossip to BJ Cole, Cleo Laine and Johnny Dankworth, Sharon Shannon and Evelyn Glennie (if my memory serves)... Oh, and the Hawkins Brothers! Each show focuses on an instrument or a genre or an aspect of music. Plus, forget Glastonbury, Live 8, the Albert Hall, I'll bet that if you're a muso with preschool kids, ZingZillas Island is simply the coolest gig you've ever done! Period!

Edited by TrevorR

I'm trying hard to raise my two on a diet of funk & soul. Craig Charles on a Saturday night is mandatory listening, and their current favourite for in the car is Wilson Pickett, with some Otis thrown in as well.

The eldest has stated showing an interest in my basses as well, so I'll have to work on that too!

[quote name='Simon.' timestamp='1454585863' post='2971016']
I'm trying hard to raise my two on a diet of funk & soul. Craig Charles on a Saturday night is mandatory listening, and their current favourite for in the car is Wilson Pickett, with some Otis thrown in as well.

The eldest has stated showing an interest in my basses as well, so I'll have to work on that too!
[/quote]Good lad, thats a good musical diet. I hope your well Simon. :D

[quote name='Zenitram' timestamp='1454588261' post='2971068']
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOaZbaPzdsk[/media]
[/quote]Fantastic is that. If that was the BBC when i was younger, it would have been epic.!! but i wasn't aware back then. !! subliminal funk…

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='Simon.' timestamp='1454585863' post='2971016']

[/quote]
[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1454540825' post='2970742']
Stuart Zender on zingzillas was my favourite.

Now one 6 year old is convinced she's the next Tal, and my lad has a customised Harley Benton shortie lefty...and matching mini Ashdown

Great stuff, mine love Chic.
[/quote]

Maybe you should get something like an Ashbory or Kala and give them the opportunity to play - neither are toys - I'd have loved to have access to something like these when I was a kid.

• 3 months later...