Why become a member? ×

Feb 66 Fender Jazz Bass

So, I have a big birthday looming this month and have been looking around, as I have been for some time, for a month and year correct Fender Jazz.

Leaving aside the fact that I could spend my money better elsewhere, has anyone ever seen a 66 Jazz with a Feb neck stamp?

I was chatting another BC'er regarding this and he suggested that it's possible that no necks were stamped during that particular month. 66 was a strange old year in the history of Fender, so are there any Fender experts that know for sure?

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1454568130' post='2970831']
Not sure about that. Just been checking my pics, the one I have now has a Sep stamp and one that I sold last year, had a January stamp. Sorry not much help. :)
[/quote]
Aha! So you've owned a Jan 66 and I've seen a Mar 66.

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1454581671' post='2970938']
Aha! So you've owned a Jan 66 and I've seen a Mar 66.
[/quote]

My 66 P has no stamp. So is it a Feb or just Fender being haphazard?

Doesn't worry me, it's all original and is mighty fine instrument :)

Maybe you should widen your search to the whole of 66. You could miss out on so many good ones being that specific. Plus the neck might be dated Feb but the bass might well have been put together a month or so later :lol:

I've had a fair few J's over the years but always ended up moving them on as I just preferred P basses. Have to say though that the 66 J is just brilliant, it has the flattest neck in terms of relief and the lowest buzz free action that I have experienced.

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1454583741' post='2970977']
Maybe you should widen your search to the whole of 66. You could miss out on so many good ones being that specific. Plus the neck might be dated Feb but the bass might well have been put together a month or so later :lol:

I've had a fair few J's over the years but always ended up moving them on as I just preferred P basses. Have to say though that the 66 J is just brilliant, it has the flattest neck in terms of relief and the lowest buzz free action that I have experienced.
[/quote]
Again, spot on. For the sake of a few months, or a year even (earlier obviously LOL), if I happened across "the one", that's job done.
It was just out of curiosity more than anything as I haven't seen one myself.
I would love to say I get on with Precisions, but sadly they don't do it for me :-(

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1454585776' post='2971012']
I'm most definitely not an expert, but don't the body and neck have date stamps ? If so you could have a December neck and a January the following year body. What year would that bass then be ?
[/quote]

My guess would be that it would be the year of the newest component.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1454585776' post='2971012']
I'm most definitely not an expert, but don't the body and neck have date stamps ? If so you could have a December neck and a January the following year body. What year would that bass then be ?
[/quote]
Didn't some of the really early ones have a body date written in pencil in the pocket? I don't think I've heard of body date stamps though.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1454586741' post='2971035']
Just found this.
http://fenderbassplayer.com/properly-dating-a-fender-bass
[/quote]
Quote "One exception is that most Fender pots from 1966 to 1969 are dated to 1966. Pickups were only date stamped from 1964 to about 1979 but can be really useful in helping pin down the year."

Translation = everything went wonky as soon as CBS got hold of it!

[quote name='such' timestamp='1454586895' post='2971040']
I know both Wunjo and Bass Gallery have early (dot&bound) 66 Jazzes (one each afaik) right now, might be worth it to ask.
[/quote]
Yes, I had seen the one that Wunjo has up at the moment, but it has a few non-original parts. CAR with MH though. Does look nice.
Hadn't seen the BG one. Thanks for the heads up.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1454586741' post='2971035']
Just found this.

[url="http://fenderbassplayer.com/properly-dating-a-fender-bass"]http://fenderbasspla...g-a-fender-bass[/url]
[/quote]

Hmmm, interesting. The neckplate on my P dates to '72 but the pots are early '71 and neck is Feb '71. Couldn't find a clear dates on the PU's.
Surely they wouldn't just have a neck floating around for nearly a year would they? or are neckplate dates fairly inaccurate? :huh:

Edited by Sammers

[quote name='Sammers' timestamp='1454590534' post='2971099']
Hmmm, interesting. The neckplate on my P dates to '72 but the pots are early '71 and neck is Feb '71. Couldn't find a clear dates on the PU's.
Surely they wouldn't just have a neck floating around for nearly a year would they? or are neckplate dates fairly inaccurate? :huh:
[/quote]

I don't know, maybe ?

Have you read the Fender bass book ? It's interesting.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1454591273' post='2971109']
I don't know, maybe ?

Have you read the Fender bass book ? It's interesting.
[/quote]

Coupled with the fact that it's a lefty as well, I doubt i'll ever know but i'll check out that book anyway - Thanks! :happy: