Why become a member? ×

Selling on eBay, first time in a while - lesson learnt!

Wow the fees are off the scale these days. It's been a while for me.

I knew about the 10% final price fee, but to pay 10% of the postage cost as well is outrageous! Shipped something to Sweden for £35 and had to pay eBay for the privilege.

And also got stung by paypal as well!

Lesson learned for sure - add about 20% to what I really want for the item...

I prefer to use Gumtree.

I sold a pair of Genelec monitors on there last weekend. Couldn't have been easier, the guy drove 130 miles to collect them. It may take slightly longer sometimes, though usually things sell within a couple of days. Just be sure to state cash on collection only.

Best of all it's free.

Musical stuff I advertise on here, but that's sometimes a bit hit and miss. It's also rather expensive. My annual selling subscription ran out, I couldn't afford £20 so had to pay £7 for one item. The £20 is reasonable, £7 for a one-off advert is expensive though.

Facebook is a good place to sell too. I sold my Modulus Q6 via Facebook.

I like ebay due to the number of people it reaches, ive never failed to sell an item at a good price on there (before fees).

I don't like the fees and I'm always worried about scams and so forth or the lack of seller protection.
I'm sure the fees are turning sellers away.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1454592023' post='2971120']
There are plenty of offers that cut eBay fees down to almost nothing, you just have to be able to be flexible about when you want to sell stuff.
[/quote]

Absolutely, last bass I bought on ebay had an offer that meant they took £100 off the price and the last one I sold there was an offer that meant I paid £20 in total fees. They do
have so great regular offers.

Cool, I guess I'll look out for offers.

Gumtree is fine, but there's just not the same reach (just shipped 1 item to Sweden and 1 to LA - struggled to sell either on gumtree). Plus the weirdo/d*ckhead/tim waster issue is just getting a bit much for me.

But I guess with eBay you do have resolution and paypal also gives you some cover for some things.

Just something I'll factor in next time I guess.

But still, 10% of postage - come on.

Unfortunately the cost of doing business. The cost of paypal isnt' much different from the cost of accepting credit cards as a business, and ebay fees are pretty well up front. Ultimately it is your option to sell it there, and you are most of the time going to get much more money selling it there than anywhere else, and have more luck selling it too, so you are getting what you pay for.

Shops have costs, as have businesses; these are factored in when determining a selling price. Any private seller has only to do the same. What counts is how much ends up in the seller's account. If the sales costs are justified (in the eyes of the seller...) by the service proposed, what's the problem..? It's the buyer that pays the costs, isn't it..?