Why become a member? ×

Markbass 106hf cab question

danbanbass

Hi guys, I've got a Aguilar Th500 and have been offered a Markbass 106hf (6x10) bass cab but the bass cab runs at 6 ohm.

The couple of questions are:

1.Would I have an issue running this cab with the head?
2.What sort of power would the head produce?
3.What are they like in use?

I will be using a Fender Nate Mendel P Bass through for Foo Fighter Songs

There won`t be any problems running that cab - you won`t get full power from the amp, 500 is at 4ohms, 250 at 8ohms, so assuming things are level throughout, 350 at 6ohms.

I`ve not used one of these, but have used other Markbass cabs, an 8ohm 410 with a Markbass 500 watt head, and a 4ohm 212 with a Markbass 500 watt head. In both cases the cabs were more than enough on their own, so a 610 should be plenty.

Only possible thing to consider, if you`re going to be playing through FOH systems regularly, Markbass cabs seem to have a high-frequency roll-off, so whatever sound you get from the cab, FOH will get a treblier sound. Not a problem as long as you`re aware, simply ask the sound-person to drop highs a bit.

Think it depends on both portability, and cost really. Both the 6x10 and the 8x8 should be plenty enough on their own, no problems, just depends on transport really with those, and if someone is around at both ends to load in and aout of vehicles. Likewise with the 410HEs and 410ABMs, carting two around may prove tiresome, though for rehearsals one should be plenty, and moving a single 4x10 on your own is easier than a 6x10 or 8x8. Plus, with the Ashdowns, well being in a Foos band, they`ll look the part.

Tbh I love the sound of an 810 but don't like the hassle of it, which bought me to the conclusion of a pair of 410 especially as I can buy a pair of ABM new for £680 all in.

Then there's the make, I've always been an ampeg fan with their cabs and have always been on the fence with ashdown on their mag series cabs but I haven't tried the ABM ones.

Then toyed with thought of maybe a 610 which is in between and I can get either the 8x8 or markbass for around £500.