Why become a member? ×

Aerodrums

Bigjas

Has anyone seen or used these? [url="http://aerodrums.com/aerodrums-product-page/"]http://aerodrums.com...s-product-page/[/url]

I saw them on an episode Dragons Den on TV a few weeks ago and was really impressed. I am not a drummer so was wondering if they would be any good for a complete novice to learn with. They seem ideal to me as they are quiet and do not take up any room. I was gutted when I missed out on a second hand set for sale on here earlier this week. Being quite a new product I guess it will take a while for them to become more available second hand. I can't even buy them new at the moment as they have been so popular since they were on the telly. I have looked at an electric drum kit, but decent ones are more expensive than the Aerodrums and there will still be the striking noise on the pads to annoy Mrs Bigjas......

Jas

[quote name='Bigjas' timestamp='1454601379' post='2971252']...I can't even buy them new at the moment...
[/quote]

I ordered a set from here last week; have you tried ordering from there..? I've not tried 'em out yet, of course (not yet delivered...), but they should be fine for playing with a DAW and virtual drums. On their own, they are useless; one needs a PC at least in order to get sound. That said, this opens the door to any number of 'virtual' drum kits, They won't substitute for learning 'real' drums, as the rebound technique, although transferable, is very different. For seeing if one has an aptitude for percussion without the outlay, though, I'd say they're almost unbeatable (subject to them living up to the videos [i]et al[/i] on t'web...).
I'll report back once I get my hands on 'em. I use Superior Drums 2 with Reaper, on a pretty modest PC; we'll see how they perform with that.
Hope this helps.

Thanks Dad, be good to hear your thoughts on them. The website states that orders will be guaranteed on 22nd February. There is no option to purchase a set online, but it seems I can reserve a set via email. Looks like they are quite popular and the coverage they got on tv has been very successful. I wonder if the Dragons have missed out on this one?

Jas

[quote name='Bigjas' timestamp='1454610742' post='2971354']...The website states that orders will be guaranteed on 22nd February. There is no option to purchase a set online...
[/quote]

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:167485]

I ordered mine, directly on line, through the site I linked. I looked there again, just before posting, and they are still, it seems, accepting orders for the UK, but have a delivery date of 'before 29th February.' I had to cheat to get my order accepted, in giving the address of a family member in the UK, to be forwarded, as I'm in France, but if you're in the UK, I don't see why you can't order.
Yes, it could be that the 'dragons' missed out on an opportunity there, but I won't be shedding many tears on [i]their [/i]account..! :lol:

You can order from Amazon, a colleague of mine ordered his from Amazon.

Regarding a novice to learn, they don't recommend this as they don't produce bounce and this can create problems when you go from Aerodrums to real drums.

For what I can see they're better used in these situations:

- You are constantly on the road and need to practice or learn new material in a hotel room or small space.
- You have a recording studio but don't have space for a full drum kit (acoustic or electronic), you can connect this to your daw and trigger any drum package with it.
- You use Jamhub for rehearsals and don't have an electronic drum kit, you can connect this to the jamhub and rehearse with no problems.

• 1 month later...

Our drummer has used these for a number of rehearsal's and uses them for silent home practice even using his electric kit was proving to be too loud "he does hit quite hard and wakes his young kids .

He is now looking at getting rid of them , not because he was unhappy with the sound but because he just misses the physical feedback from actually hitting a surface ... I think he was also VERY mad when his budget laptop blue screened mid rehearsal it was a £299 Argos laptop that was strugglign running the OS ... let alone aero drums.

My advice as both a I.T. professional and musician who's seen it up and running , If you install it on a Crap laptop its going to perform poorly .....
I'd suggest Intel I5 or AMD equivalent .... the other annoying thing is the light sensor ... Its rather BRIGHT ... buy good sunglasses.

Edited by synthaside