Why become a member? ×

Erm, not getting on with Delano. Any thoughts on a more Super Jazz vibe.

bubinga5

This Maruszczyk is a fantastic bass, but can my ears get on with it. Yes, but its fantastically to bright and clear and transparent. So no. Its got Delano 5 string singles with a Delano Sonar 2 band preamp. Ive got to be honest this setup maybe great for girls/guys who want play chords, harmonic stuff. For that it is amazing. But it aint me. the voicing is way to transparent and clean for my ears.

Its the 60/70's Jazz bass tone with a lot of punch I'm after. Im not hugely knowledgeable about pickups, or preamps. I am aware of the Bartolini setup i had and i loved it on the Sei., i was actually thinking about putting some Fender single coils in it with a Bart or Sadowsky onboard. ? I want the Jazz bass tone with the oomph. I will start with DR's of course
If i could put it into 3 words. Fat/Warm/Clear i love the Marcus Miller tone. is he using Sadowsky preamp.? Not sure what pickups he's using.?

any thoughts

Edited by bubinga5

I put Haussel single coils in my Elwood to replace Delanos and the sound in my opinion really has a vintage vibe now.
I would also change the pre to a John East so you can have passive mode with true passive tone blend, again for that vintage vibe.
Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Generally I say Bartolini and a John East is good.

I'd be tempted to check out Aguilars OB3's...
They say it is agressive but can be no mor agressive than an East.

I tend to think +12db is pretty extreme on tap anyway.
I like the passive option as that is a reference for your sound
so if you run active pretty close to that...you just get the bass
pepped up a bit.

That is how I run it anyway.

I think MM defined his sound as 70's... but that isn't the way I hear/regard a 60's sound.
Chalk and cheese to me.

I wouldn't buy the regular Fender pickups, though the CS ones aren't bad.

That said, I'm a huge fan of Lindy Fralin, I've had them on J's and P's and they are great for a vintage vibe with some modern oomph. But then I've also had great experiences with Jason Lollar, SD Custom Shop or Antiquity and Nordstrand.

So many good pickups out there......

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1454615478' post='2971418']
Aren't the CS ones the same as the ones on the Am Deluxe?
[/quote]

The custom shop pickups are in the American standards. The American deluxe models have Noiseless N3 single coul pickups or the Delixe split coil, so slightly different. Personally, I think the custom shop '60s single coil that's in the Am Std Jazz is the nicest pickup in the Fender basses at the moment!

Edited by skej21

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1454607509' post='2971322']
Wouldn't a passive configuration get you closer to a vintage vibe?
[/quote]
[quote name='LayDownThaFunk' timestamp='1454676284' post='2971935']
Er, how will you get a 60s/70s Jazz sound from an active bass with modern pickups?

Buy a 60s/70s Jazz for that sound OR buy a Fender Jazz and fit Antiquity/CS pups.
[/quote]

This. If you're looking for a vintage 70s Jazz Bass sound why are you bothering with modern sounding pickups & active circuitry?

• Like 1

i would like the tone as near as, but obviously with an active punch. The Hausell's sound interesting. I had an East (a modern preamp) in a 75 Jazz a while back and it still sounded like a 75 Jazz bass but with more body to the tone. Im not sure if the pickups need changing or the preamp. I will probably start with the pre. its all a learning curve, but trying not to make it an expensive one.

Like i said in my op I want the Jazz Bass tone with the oomph.

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1454619019' post='2971468']
The custom shop pickups are in the American standards. The American deluxe models have Noiseless N3 single coul pickups or the Delixe split coil, so slightly different. Personally, I think the custom shop '60s single coil that's in the Am Std Jazz is the nicest pickup in the Fender basses at the moment!
[/quote]

I've seen Noiseless pickups in a CS... they aren't marked N3 though.

At the monent, I can't find a difference apart from a lot of money between CS and AM Deluxe and a few colours..? Must be very very good wood..:lol:

Aguilar do some nice pre amps as do Bartolini. I think that Sandbergs have Delano pick ups with Bartolini preamps and they are really nice.

I think that Marcus Miller's main bass for years was a seventies Jazz bass with a Sadowsky pre-amp. You could buy a Fender Jazz and buy the Sadowsky outboard pre-amp or have one fitted. The active jazz bass market is pretty saturated though. Just play a bunch of basses and get the one you like most.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1454695878' post='2972233']

I've seen Noiseless pickups in a CS... they aren't marked N3 though.

At the monent, I can't find a difference apart from a lot of money between CS and AM Deluxe and a few colours..? Must be very very good wood..:lol:
[/quote]

That may be why they have discontinued the AM Deluxe series and replaced it with the 'elite' models...

+1 for an East preamp for extra punch - I have a Lakland DJ5 that I fitted with with an East J-Retro and it transformed the bass. I also removed the stock pickups (Hansons I think) and fitted Delanos which I'm very happy with - they have the crisp detail that could qualify as a 'Marcus' type tone, but might not be to everyone's taste. They have plain covers, with no pole pieces showing though - not sure which model they are.

Edited by lowregisterhead

I would advise changing pups rather than pre in your situation. The [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Delano Sonar preamp has an active/passive push pull toggle (I think it will be on the volume pot on your bass) so you can run it totally passive - no need to swap it out. [/font][/color]

Would REALLY recommend the Aguilar AG-4J 70s pickups for a really Marcus Miller-esque tone!

I'm currently using them in my '75 Jazz with the Aguilar DB-924 preamp, and the tone is spot on! Had the Nordstrand "70s wind" NJ4s in before these, but they were a bit too warm and low-middy if anything! More Geddy than Marcus...