Why become a member? ×

NBD: Cort Rithimic V Jeff Berlin Signature

Skol303

So I’ve just acquired one of these:

[i][size=2](stock photo)[/size][/i]

And wow! I’m gob-smackingly surprised by just how damned good it is :blink:

Back-peddling a little bit… I’d noticed the Cort Rithimic Jeff Berlin basses a while ago. I’m not usually drawn to the whole ’signature’ instrument thing and to be honest, neither am I a huge fan of Jeff Berlin [i](that’s not to say I don’t like the guy or his playing; more that his name has zero sway with me).[/i] But I noticed they were getting great reviews and I’m aware that Cort has a solid, albeit somewhat overlooked, reputation for making good quality instruments - what with them producing a lot of the Indonesian-made output for Ibanez, Fender, Lakland (I think) and others. So I was interested, but then forgot about them.

Cut to a few weeks ago and I noticed a Cort Rithimic V ‘Jeff Berlin’ Signature for sale at the [url="http://greatbritishbasslounge.com"]Great British Bass Lounge[/url]. Intrigued, I proposed a part-exchange with a Warwick Corvette Standard 5-string (very nice bass, but the string spacing was proving just a wee bit too narrow for my taste). Popped in to meet with Drew, the shop owner - a thoroughly nice chap - and walked out with the Rithimic V.

And I’ve hardly put it down since. [i]Very[/i] impressed with this bass in every way!

On paper it’s not especially awe-inspiring. Here’s the spec:
[list]
[*]Alder body with burl walnut top
[*]3 piece maple neck, bolt-on with satin finish
[*]34” scale, 21 frets
[*]45mm nut with 19mm spacing at the bridge
[*]2x Bartolini ‘Jeff Berlin Custom’ soapbar pickups
[*]Volume, blend and tone controls
[*]Babicz FC bridge [i](very much like a Badass)[/i]; Hipshot Ultralight tuners
[*]Weight: 4kg or thereabouts
[/list]

…so not too shabby at all; but not exactly head-spinning ‘boutique-spec’ either. Just a nice, simple, solidly-made instrument.

What’s really slapped me around the chops is the playability and tone of this bass. It was bought new and the factory set-up by Cort is just outstanding - or at least it suits my playing style to a tee. The neck is virtually straight, very low action and fitted with light gauge strings (DR DDT 40-120). It really is a joy to play - largely, I think, because the neck profile is quite thin/shallow and tapers nicely from a wide spacing at the bridge to a narrow-ish nut width. I suppose the term to use here is “fast”! At least I feel very nimble when playing it.

The tone is also surprisingly varied for what is simply a passive instrument with only basic controls (blend and tone, plus volume). Cranked towards the bridge it’s bright and “burpy”, lots of zing when slapped, but a touch warmer than a traditional jazz bass. Dialled fully towards the nut and the tone gets quite wooly (too much for me), but with a touch of bridge p’up blend it finds a character all of its own. Hard to describe - I need to post up some clips! - but the spaced-out pickup position probably has a lot to do with it. And the pickups are nicely hot too; lots of outputs for a passive.

So yeah. It’s definitely a keeper and for the time being at least, has cured my GAS! :)

Job done.

[i]PS: I’ll post up some audio clips and photos when I finally get round to putting it down long enough to do so…[/i]

[quote name='No lust in Jazz' timestamp='1454610075' post='2971345']
When did he say this?
[/quote]
He has actually said it consistently in most of his interviews to anyone who would listen. He also has a severe downer on active basses.

Superb player...outspoken though!

....oh, and that is a beautiful bass btw :-)

Edited by White Cloud

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1454614686' post='2971409']
He has actually said it consistently in most of his interviews to anyone who would listen. He also has a severe downer on active basses.
[/quote]

Ok When? - I ask, as over the years I've been a fan of JB's playing (well, before he found a chorus pedal) and I can't recall this - what I've read is that a five isn't his instrument and that he prefers passive pickups - but I'd like your source as its an interview that I'd be interested in reading or watching.

[quote name='neilp' timestamp='1454607260' post='2971318']
Slightly bizarre when Mr Berlin has spent years telling everyone who'd listen how unnecessary 5-string basses are!

Does look nice though, and I am tempted by the 4
[/quote]

I've heard him say this too but he saw fit to bring a fiver on the ABWH tour to cover Tony Levin's parts. (A Pedulla by recollection.)

Fact is he says an awful lot and proceeds to bash out a sour chorused toned barrage of seventh chord tones over standards that were popular 50 years ago.

I don't doubt his capability, I just think he's stuck in a time warp (at least as a leader - loved his stuff with Bruford, Holdsworth and McLaughlin)

Congrats on a top bass.
I was lucky enough to have a quick go on your bass, a couple of days before you got it.
It does have a tone of it's own.
Kind of smooth yet vibrant.
I owned the 4-string version, a while back.
It had the same, lovely tone but i much prefer the top, on the fiver.
I own a Cort GB4 Custom and am super impressed with it

Congrats again, on a very cool bass.

Edited by grayn

[quote name='No lust in Jazz' timestamp='1454615540' post='2971419']
Ok When? - I ask, as over the years I've been a fan of JB's playing (well, before he found a chorus pedal) and I can't recall this - what I've read is that a five isn't his instrument and that he prefers passive pickups - but I'd like your source as its an interview that I'd be interested in reading or watching.
[/quote]
Bass guitar magazine, issue 38 - Sept/Oct 2008 (it's in my hand as I type this)

Empirical evidence my'lord!

^ Cheers guys!

It's certainly made me see Cort in a new light; I'd always overlooked them in the past. The Bass Lounge had a [i]very[/i] nice Cort Artisan in stock when I visited - [url="http://greatbritishbasslounge.com/product/cort-artisan-a5-custom-sp/"]this one[/url] - which had the quality of an instrument at least twice its price. Really good basses for the money, it seems.

PS: I think Jeff Berlin is happy to change his tune about 5-strings when it comes to promoting product... :D

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1454665712' post='2971742']
^ Cheers guys!

It's certainly made me see Cort in a new light; I'd always overlooked them in the past. The Bass Lounge had a [i]very[/i] nice Cort Artisan in stock when I visited - [url="http://greatbritishbasslounge.com/product/cort-artisan-a5-custom-sp/"]this one[/url] - which had the quality of an instrument at least twice its price. Really good basses for the money, it seems.

PS: I think Jeff Berlin is happy to change his tune about 5-strings when it comes to promoting product... :D

[/quote]
.....money talks!!!

I have a lot of love for Jeff and Cort, he's a legend and they are great basses...I must have a try on one. I used to own the Dean JB signature model and it was ridiculously playable.

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1454669028' post='2971802']I have a lot of love for Jeff and Cort, he's a legend and they are great basses...[/quote]

He’s honestly not someone who’s been on my radar until purchasing this bass. I’d heard of him, of course, but had never taken the time to check out his playing. Seems very '[i]Jaco-ish'[/i]. I have a bunch of his tracks earmarked for listening to…

^ Cheers Rob! Aye, it’s surprisingly tasty for what is on paper quite a standard passive fiver.

And yes, I may be wielding it for the noodle challenge. I’m currently switching between this and an acoustic fretless, so it’ll be one of those. Or both, if I’m feeling especially ambidextrous ;)

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1454671808' post='2971841']
He’s honestly not someone who’s been on my radar until purchasing this bass. I’d heard of him, of course, but had never taken the time to check out his playing. Seems very '[i]Jaco-ish'[/i]. I have a bunch of his tracks earmarked for listening to…
[/quote]

He likes to tell everyone who will listen that Jaco called him the best bass soloist in the world.

I don't agree (I mean, where is the distortion? :D ), but he is very good and worth a listen.