Why become a member? ×

Inevitable silly newbie question

Jebo1

I've just picked up a lovely new (very old, well 1964) double bass.

It plays wonderfully well and is set up fantastically, however it's currently being played by an awful novice (me). I want to get some technique lessons, so thought I'd see if anyone had any recommendations for a teacher in Bristol please. Feel free to DM me (there are some links on the forum, but they're a bit out of date).

I was also going to see if people had any recommendations for beginners books as well? I want something that can help me get the right fingering, positions and so on. I'm good with the theory and the practical stuff, I just want to start to tame the massive wooden beast.

You're right to get some lessons!

It may depend on which genre you wish to study and maybe even which area of Bristol. There is Greg Cordez for jazz (I've not met him, but he is an occasional poster on Bass Chat - top player). I have met Ben Groenevelt (BS3) - a nice guy who really knows his stuff, both classical and jazz.

There are many others, you're lucky in Bristol - I have to travel over 20 miles for my lessons!