Why become a member? ×

'False Paypal email' alert...

Dad3353

Just a heads up; this has just popped into my 'Spam' folder...

It's not from Paypal, of course (note the '.ru' email address..!), and it will be deleted with no further ado. Just thought I'd bring attention to it; unwitting innocents could fall for it.
As far as I know, Paypal never ask for personal or bank details in this way, nor any other respectable financial organisation...

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1454605600' post='2971302']
I had a few from tescos bank around Christmas. Just deleted them straight away.

I'm amazed that people do fall for these scams though.
[/quote]

Ooops, that'll be me then...bastards turned me over for £1300 which I did get back from the bank but I did feel like a plonker and it could, otherwise, have been an expensive life lesson...

As they say.."no fool like an old fool"..

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1454607701' post='2971327']
Ooops, that'll be me then...bastards turned me over for £1300 which I did get back from the bank but I did feel like a plonker and it could, otherwise, have been an expensive life lesson...

As they say.."no fool like an old fool"..
[/quote]

Lots of people do. They can be very convincing. I think the main thing to look out for is how the email is addressed, a real email will address you by name. They will also never, ever ask for passwords.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1454604881' post='2971291']
Just a heads up; this has just popped into my 'Spam' folder...

It's not from Paypal, of course (note the '.ru' email address..!), and it will be deleted with no further ado. Just thought I'd bring attention to it; unwitting innocents could fall for it.
As far as I know, Paypal never ask for personal or bank details in this way, nor any other respectable financial organisation...
[/quote]
it can be forwarded to Paypal as they like to monitor all this stuff....I think Paypal have a link somewhere for this.

[quote name='mybass' timestamp='1454608765' post='2971333']
it can be forwarded to Paypal as they like to monitor all this stuff....I think Paypal have a link somewhere for this.
[/quote]

Too late, I'm afraid..! :blush:

Worth bearing in mind for another time, though; thanks for the tip. B)

They sometimes also spell the from email address wrong. I had one recently that was from [i]npaypal.co.uk[/i]

You had to look closely to see the email address spelling. I was alerted by the fact it was address to dear customer or something, they didn't use my name.