Why become a member? ×

How to play with roundwounds?

Twincam

That whole zingyness is part and parcel of using roundwounds.

You can either go with the zing and make it part of the sound or you can get your fretting hand under tighter control than you may normally do.

Unless there's a bassist in the audience then its unlikely that anyone will even notice it. :)

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1454664794' post='2971731']
ah don't worry about it... my isolated bass tracks have more finger noise and strings slapping the fretboard etc than notes in some cases... As others have said it's unnoticeable in a band setting :) .
[/quote]
+1

I can see why people don't like the zing of fresh strings but I hate when strings don't have that zing to them.

As people have already said the little string noises will dissipate in a band setting but it doesn't hurt to get used to minimising it. Then you can decide if you want it or not. I like having it at times for making weird sounds with the envelope filter...

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1454618353' post='2971458']
Elixirs are less zingy than Rotosounds.
[/quote]

Elixirs are less zingy than just about any string I've ever used. They're great strings if you like the sound of knackered old roundwounds as they sound like that straight out of the packet.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1454672592' post='2971860']

Elixirs are less zingy than just about any string I've ever used. They're great strings if you like the sound of knackered old roundwounds as they sound like that straight out of the packet.
[/quote]

I find them not as zingy as brand new uncoated strings but they do sound fresh for a lot longer than any other ones I've used.

I feel with all other strings I've used I want to replace them within 2 weeks (or instantly in the case of Rotosounds) but Elixirs last me a good 8/9 months or so

Rotosounds are particularly zingy, as rounds go - one of the main reasons I've used them so faithfully, though I do prefer the slightly warmer sound of the nickel-plated ones. A lot of people have suggested so far that it's part of the roundwound sound (underground, where the hounds abound), and I might even go so far as to suggest embracing it. Add a bit of grit to your sound and all the finger and fret noises can actually go some way to enhancing a nice, dirty bassline!

As I have only ever used roundwounds, I'm probably not best equipped to provide advice (but when did that ever stop me?). Even though my main bass is very bright sounding, I like the roundwounds because, when listening to the whole band, my bass gets a full, fatter sound. When I practise with headphones, it sounds squeaky and clacks a lot.

Perhaps we need a thread called "How I learned to stop worrying and love my sound."

Edited by colgraff

I've got a "pointy, is it good for metal?) Dean bass which I bought cheap for a laugh. I'ts got very bright strings and a huge sound on it and when I play it I feel like John Entwistle.
Trouble is, I don't sound like J.E. :-)
EDIT: Or to be more precise, while the tone is vaguely reminiscent of J.E., the playing certainly isn't.

Edited by Phil Adams