Why become a member? ×

amp and cabs

stef030

[size=4]g[/size][b]ood evening one and all[/b]

[b]yet again I throw myself at the combined expertise known as basschat,[/b]

[b]the dilemma that I have is at present I use a gallien kruger backline 2x10 combo [/b]
[b]with a matching 2x10 cab, [/b]

[b]I want to go down the 1x12 or 1x10 cab route with a amp,oh that would be two cabs, [/b]
[b]it is a case of given that I play a five string ect and what I use now handles that,[/b]

[b]but I am unsure about only having two by one ten cabs which is just down to my own inexperience with them [/b]
[b]so my question is what are your recomendations given that I play blues,covers ect,pubs and the like [/b]

[b]budgets well [/b]
about 700 to 800 plus trading my gallien kruger kit

thanks in advance for the advice,

cheers
stef

I have a nice little David Eden 1x10 which I use as an extension to my Markbass 2x10 on small stages where i want the amp running at full power, it is a cracking little cab and, from memory, they were not especially expensive in the first place, I reckon you could pick up a pair brand new for less than £400, it handles my 5 string perfectly well

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Eden-USM-EX110-4-U-EX110-4-U-Bass-Cabinet/dp/B003IPCG1U

I had the BERG AE112's and found they lacked something that i couldn't quite put my finger on. Crystal clear and could take the low B easily but not sure if it was depth but just not for me. They also pick up every little string noise because they are so clear HI-Fi sounding. I also have the BERG HT322 but its a heavyweight and its great. For lightweight work i went for the Markbass and couldn't believe how goos they were compared to BERG cabs for just cutting thru a mix.
I would suggest trying the BERG's before buying especially if you don't really need or want that clarity in your sound. Too clean a sound doesn't always fit the player.
Not sure the diff between AE & HD cabs tho.
Def try first and if you can borrow one for a rehearsal or gig to see how it fits with the band mix.

Dave

I'm currently using a Barefaced One10 cab. The sound is truly stunning : Loads of bottom end and great at the top too. If you've not tried them I suggest you get along the coast to Brighton and try some out. I'm sure Alex will be happy to accommodate you.