Why become a member? ×

Adding LED Strips to pedal board...HELP

mrn1989

I fancied sticking some strips on the base of my small board, but would I be able to power the 12V DC strips of 9V , would they just be dimmer?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5M-300-LED-Under-Kitchen-Cupboard-Unit-IP65-Self-Adhesive-Strip-Lights-Tape-12V-/251445849639?var=550360590629&hash=item3a8b572e27:m:m6uRAi1jPtTtWBtVAjwJl9g

Any help from somebody better educated than me would be appreciated :)

I shall start by saying that I'm no electronics expert, more of an interested amateur.

LEDs are very sensitive to current. To operate, LEDs must be supplied with a voltage above their threshold voltage and a current below their rating. Current draw and lifespan are affected with even a small change in applied voltage. Because of that, LEDs require a current-regulated supply - usually just a series resistor, which I'm assuming is already in the fitting for each LED on that roll of lights.

So, getting to the point - it might work, but the current draw might be unstable, and they might not last long. They won't appear dimmer on 9v though, I don't think - I would expect them possibly to flicker, but it does depend on the threshold voltage for the LED. Have you tried it out away from the board? As it's only £5.99 per 5m roll, I'd have thought it was worth a test anyway.

Out of interest, would you be planning on using a separate 9v supply, or a daisy chain? I ask as the advertised power supply is a 2A unit - which suggests those LEDs must have quite a draw - although the ad says[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=3] [/size]W[color="#000000"]orking Current/meter: 0.4A[/color][/font] - that's likely per diode, or for the 300! Likely a single diode, though. As a rough reference point, most effect pedals draw around 50-100mA, which is why things like daisy chains are possible - the combined current draw on the power supply is still likely to be less than 1A. If you have a beefy power supply though, I'm sure it'd be fine.

My, this has probably bored you to tears. Sorry about that...

Not bored me at all as I said any help is appreciated :)

I did purchase them as they are cheap so no big deal if if doesn't work out, I was planning on running less than 1m worth in length as it is a tiny nano board with 3 maybe 4 pedals. I was hoping to use a spare socket from the daisy chain from the 1spot which puts out 1700ma so there's is probably still 1500ma or grunt left, after pedals, that I hoped would power them?

The only other thing I read about was audio interference especially as I would be running off the same power supply for both pedals and lights?

[quote name='bertbass' timestamp='1454674689' post='2971895']
9volts, no problem. might be a bit bright though on a dark stage.
[/quote]

Ok cool, bright is good lol

[quote name='Tonteee' timestamp='1454713530' post='2972438']
Like the man Bert says, should be fine. I don't think LEDs themselves give off RF interference, but controllers sometimes can. I would say the only way to know is to give it a bash. :)

Best of luck!
[/quote]

Ok, cheers!

i will stick a pic up when its done and let you know the results