Why become a member? ×

RIP Maurice White

Rich

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1454627675' post='2971561']
Ok. This year is REALLY starting to piss me off.

[url="http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-35499149"]http://www.bbc.co.uk...t-arts-35499149[/url]
[/quote]

Yep. I think we're in for a few more shocks this year, a lot of musos are reaching a certain age. C'mon Reaper, take a break.

And a tribute - Verdine White inspired the bass player in my first band (me on guitar), who turned me on to EWF and, eventually bass.

Remember sending off a coupon from the music press for a 4-song EP when they were barely known in the UK. Best freebie ever!

RIP Maurice.

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1454660853' post='2971702']
Truly a grim time for musicians that were the soundtrack to my youth (sorry for the overused cliché) and opened my eyes to music in all its variety.
[/quote]

Well said. Cliche fully appropriate.

RIP to an amazing visionary, singer, writer, and producer.

As well as EWF, he also worked to massive success with a huge number of artists, and even played drums on one of my favourite albums, Minnie Ripperton's debut (Come To My Garden).

EWF singles get lots of attention - justifiably so - but their albums are mostly brilliant as well, especially their original '71-'83 incarnation.

Sad day.