Why become a member? ×

How long does it take you to learn a song?

Naetharu

Hi folks,

I've been working away on learning a couple of more complicated songs this week ('Limelight' by RUSH and 'Time is Running Out' by Muse). It's taking me a long time to get them nailed down - I find some sections stick in my mind but others I just cannot seem to remember properly and so I find myself going over and over them.

With this in mind I thought I would pop in and ask you how long it takes you to learn songs. I'm thinking of things like the above here, where its reasonably complicated and riff based rather than just root-notes and chords. I'm curious to know how you go about the process too if you would care to share. Partially just out of interest and also in the hope of getting a few tips and ideas along the way :)

All the best

James

I usually break the track down into manageable chunks and then put said chunks together. For example, let's take a pop song. Some tracks I can pick up after a first listen whereas something like a Latin track? Could be two weeks.

It's a bit of a subjective question, I guess. Could you throw in a song that we could gauge up against for others here, maybe? Something like 'Limelight' would probably take me a solid 30 minutes or so I reckon. :)

It really does depend on the song obviously but generally if I go for a tricky song it'll be about an hour or two. The last song I learned was Sequoia throne by Protest the Hero and I would say it took about 3 hours in total to learn (mostly spent on the tapping section) and about another hour or two to get reasonably decent sounding.

I find the easiest way to learn songs is to just break it down as much as possible and then just connect all the sections.

Edited by Cameronj279

Depends on song, it helps if you cut it into chunks and excercise it until your fingers 'do the thinking' and then move on.

Some songs I just need to listen to, it took me ages to pick up all the particulars of some Metallica or Mastodon songs. Average probably 20-30 minutes.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Naetharu' timestamp='1454629052' post='2971580']
Hi folks,

I've been working away on learning a couple of more complicated songs this week ('Limelight' by RUSH and 'Time is Running Out' by Muse). It's taking me a long time to get them nailed down - I find some sections stick in my mind but others I just cannot seem to remember properly and so I find myself going over and over them.

With this in mind I thought I would pop in and ask you how long it takes you to learn songs. I'm thinking of things like the above here, where its reasonably complicated and riff based rather than just root-notes and chords. I'm curious to know how you go about the process too if you would care to share. Partially just out of interest and also in the hope of getting a few tips and ideas along the way :)

All the best

James
[/quote]

Try learning to hum/sing the line as your brain is probably better at remembering a tune than a series of physical movements.

In my case it depends if I like the song or not. Our lot wanted to do Enter Sandman which I'm not keen on. Took me nearly a week that one.
Where as we wanted to cover The Jean Genie, only a couple of hours.

Edited by Hobbayne

When I come to learn a new song I have a couple of passes through to get the part, riffs, stops & changes figured out. I'm not worried about the arrangement at this stage, just the small chunks. Then I'll do another pass where I'll chart it out (lots of use of the pause button here). I used to get it down on paper but now it's straight to OnSong on my iPad. This is where the magic happens for me - it has always helped me to not just have a mental map of the song, once I've made a chart I have a visual map too and I find that this helps it to sink in really quick. My chord charts are simple too - basic key info, and all the arrangement info. I like to remember the specific bass lines for songs so on a gig I'm not buried in my charts like a sight reader, I'm just using them here and there if I need them, and I can carry on have a good time on stage. Once I've got the chart done, it's once or twice through and I'm pretty much done. I'll normally run the new songs every day for a few days just to make sure they've sunk in.
Some songs take a bit longer, for sure, but on the whole I don't find learning a big deal. When I was younger I took a gig where I had 7 days to learn 35 songs. We did the gig and I survived, a few dodgy moments of course, but I proved to myself that it's possible to cram a lot of information in a short space of time. Have faith in yourself that you can do it. As ever, practice is the key. It gets easier the more you do it.

I find busy songs easier to learn than root note stuff, probably because there is more to hold onto in my mind. That said, learning Muse's Hysteria took me weeks to get the timing right.
If a song is causing trouble, I will spend no more than an hour per day at it so that there is time for my brain digest it.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='dlloyd' timestamp='1454676199' post='2971932']
I usually find it quicker to transcribe the tune myself and learn it, rather than trying to learn it from written music or tab.
[/quote]

That ties in what I said about learning the tune vs physical movements as working it out yourself means your much more likely to have internalised the actual melody of the bassline. If I were teaching someone I would ban them from using tab or watching youtube vids to learn songs.

Edited by bassman7755

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1454636808' post='2971622']
I just tried to find the video I was referring to and it doesn't seem to be available now. It was a play along of Elvis Costello's Pump It Up by You Tube user TJH3113.
[/quote]

that guy is a great player - especially for bass players wanting to learn songs. You can hear his playing, and he sits nice and still. (I've seen plenty of terrible videos, no matter how good the player is.)

some songs take me as long as it takes to listen to em.These are the typical easy not a lot going on. If I was doing a dep gig and say something like Chaka Khan "Aint No Body " came up and I'd never played it before, and only a day or so to learn it amongst other things, I would come up with a "cheat" version. Not perfect but get awayable. However if I am keeping this tune then I will spend as long as it takes. As it happens this was a keeper tune and I have probably spent weeks and weeks,maybe months? analysing all the different permutations till I can honestly say "I own this tune". I could now play it with whom ever (typical covers band!) in E,Eb or D and fit in with what ever standard the band are at with it .ie:very bad,bad, good ,very good, f**k this band are awsum ect. I have already come up with various "get out of jail" plans depending on what the drummer does. To sum up : If it warrants it, in my personal opinion, a tune takes as long as I want to spend on it/ consider it worth it. Just because I can play off the cuff the notes in the right order doesnt mean I can play it. I can play it when I can convince all around me I can play it if that makes sence. Just my 2ps worth ! :) ..........

There's a website called Songster, which is quite good, although they want a subscription for the use of the full website. The basic free version is good enough. It's like tab, but the song plays and you hear the part as well as see it. If not, then I agree, break the song into parts, then join them

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1454636808' post='2971622']
I just tried to find the video I was referring to and it doesn't seem to be available now. It was a play along of Elvis Costello's Pump It Up by You Tube user TJH3113.
[/quote]

Yes I know the song. It's fairly typical in that there's a repeating riff but parts of it are different every time.

Rebel Rebel - David Bowie is similar. Each 4th bar is always ever so slightly different.

I doubt even the original bass player could replicate it. It's not important as long as they're different otherwise the bass line stagnates.

I normally have a song on repeat while doing something else. Usually commuting. Learn it in my head then it's only a matter of refining it when I pick up the bass. Sometimes an easy tune will be right on first play through with the bass and two more will confirm it.

Edited by TimR

I learn by ear only, I tend to start simple and work out the basics of the track, once I know roughly what it is doing I can start working on the technicality of the bass line, I can usually get a giggable version of a song ready within a week, getting it 100% right may never happen! It depends on what you hear I guess

I'm terrible at learning songs, takes me ages but I always feel that I should get it note perfect. At the same time I realize it is not necessary most of the time but can't shake a odd unsatisfied feeling if I just wing it. Strange but true.
'What's going on' is taking me awhile but I'm learning to read as I go too so I'm in no rush.