Why become a member? ×

New, short and minimal.

ambient

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1454638408' post='2971631']
Some people never learn, do they..? ;) I even turned the volume up to 100%..! One day, perhaps, I will understand; one day... :unsure:
[/quote]

Headphones ?

I really appreciate you listening though, thanks !

:)

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1454638484' post='2971632']
Headphones ?

I really appreciate you listening though, thanks !

[/quote]

At this time of night (morning..?), headphones are [i]de rigour.[/i].! It's rare that I use the monitors, and never at volume. I'm still intrigued, and will continue to strive towards enlightenment. Not that I'm overly enamoured of Chopin et al, either; I really [i]do [/i]follow a fairly eclectic gamut of compositional styles. Never mind me, you just keep on keeping on; I'll maybe catch up one day (or night..! ;) )

I agree with Dad about the volume, really, really low.
I have read before your view on it, and agree mostly, but I think there has to be a compromise somewhere.

But saying that....... I like the piece very much, works very well (although more as underscore).
The Spitfire strings sound lovely, other Spitfire sounds there as well? Possibly Edna or Enigma?
Although a bit pricey, Spitfire Audio really do deliver superb libraries. I have a few myself.

Have you been over to their budget page? £2.00 an Instrument (Spitfire Labs Range).
The 'Scary Strings' Patch is very nice indeed, works very well on Ambient material,
so does 'Henson's Frozen Strings'.
[url="http://www.spitfireaudio.com/shop/ranges/spitfire-labs/"]http://www.spitfirea.../spitfire-labs/[/url]

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1454668005' post='2971789']
I agree with Dad about the volume, really, really low.
I have read before your view on it, and agree mostly, but I think there has to be a compromise somewhere.

But saying that....... I like the piece very much, works very well (although more as underscore).
The Spitfire strings sound lovely, other Spitfire sounds there as well? Possibly Edna or Enigma?
Although a bit pricey, Spitfire Audio really do deliver superb libraries. I have a few myself.

Have you been over to their budget page? £2.00 an Instrument (Spitfire Labs Range).
The 'Scary Strings' Patch is very nice indeed, works very well on Ambient material,
so does 'Henson's Frozen Strings'.
[url="http://www.spitfireaudio.com/shop/ranges/spitfire-labs/"]http://www.spitfirea.../spitfire-labs/[/url]
[/quote]

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback. It is indeed a very fine line between being too quiet, and how I want it. I maybe need to play things back on my phone, or just through my Macbook speakers to gauge the volume more accurately.

I'm using the Albion strings that you put me onto a few years ago, there's also the Leo Abraham Enigma library. The piano is off Logic and the synth is Logic's Alchemy. I hadn't seen those budget ones, there's a few there that I'm going to get, thanks for the link.

I fancy the Olafur Arnalds libraries that they've got too.

They're pretty good with student discounts, which is really useful.

Edited by ambient

As I hear it I would not change anything. Good use of layers. More of that.

To those who don't get ambient think of it this way. Ambient is not about drums or beats or tunes generally. Steve Lawson describes it as film music without the film. Try closing your eyes and putting your own images to it. See what happens.

[quote name='BassBus' timestamp='1454923873' post='2974109']
As I hear it I would not change anything. Good use of layers. More of that.

To those who don't get ambient think of it this way. Ambient is not about drums or beats or tunes generally. Steve Lawson describes it as film music without the film. Try closing your eyes and putting your own images to it. See what happens.
[/quote]

Thanks for listening, and for the kind comment.

I like what Eno said, which is something my tutor at uni mentioned in my final project feedback, he called it music designed not to be listened to.
There's a very fine line though, between it being how I like it, and it really being too quiet. I know that I do sometimes fall on the wrong side of that line. I've started listening back to stuff on my phone, through headphones.

I sent some stuff to someone over the weekend. She was interested in doing something with me. She was complaining that she couldn't hear it all. Turns out she was trying to listen back to it through the speaker on her iPhone.

Edited by ambient

In a talk about ambient I heard a comment on a review of Eno's 'Music For Hotels'. That critic said "why don't you just write music for hospitals and then we can all die there. Well Eno is still a highly regarded musician and producer 40 years on. Where is that critic now? Does anyone know who he is? Think that says it all.

Edited by BassBus