Why become a member? ×

Fuzz, Overdrive or Distortion? (Thread has mutated into one about bi-amping... sorry about that.)

CamdenRob

Hi Guys,

I know virtually nothing about effects and have need of some advice.

I've started a new project that is essentially just big simple riffs with bass, drums and a vocalist. I am looking for something to sound enormous and heavy as a contrast to my clean sound. When I play guitar I'm a huge fan of the mesa high gain tube distortion type tone, but having had a flick through the sounds on my B1on to see what sort of thing I'm after, I'm finding the distortions a bit thin and metallic on bass. The fuzz seems to work best, but I'm a bit worried about it loosing so much definition the notes disappear behind a wall of noise, I also have it set to a 50/50 blend with clean otherwise I seem to lose all the bottom end.

So I was going to buy a big muff and see how that went but I'm open to any other suggestions?

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1454660345' post='2971690']
Blatant plug: The [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/278279-tecamp-dream-buzz-deluxe/"]Tecamp Dream Buzz Deluxe[/url] I'm selling has all sorts of gritty flavours to it, and doesn't lose bottom end at all.
[/quote]

Plugs are OK, I do actually need to buy something... :)

I suspect I'll have a go at some cheaper bits first and foremost, just to get a feel for what I want.

... I've noticed a deluxe big muff in the marketplace in london so might give that a go initially.

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1454660724' post='2971701']
I suspect I'll have a go at some cheaper bits first and foremost, just to get a feel for what I want.
[/quote]

There's so much choice. Empress do a nice 3 in 1 pedal, the EHX Soul Food sounds good to me too, EBS Valvedrive and Billy Sheehan pedals....Good luck!

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1454661154' post='2971705']
There's so much choice. Empress do a nice 3 in 1 pedal, the EHX Soul Food sounds good to me too, EBS Valvedrive and Billy Sheehan pedals....Good luck!
[/quote]

There does seem to be a lot out there... it would appear I have much to learn :blink:

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1454661281' post='2971707']
you OP implies you already have a decent guitar rig, is that right? If so, you really can't beat running a bass rig clean at the same time as a dirty guitar rig
[/quote]

Yes I've got a Mesa Rectifier guitar rig but I'm thinking practically I'm not going to be carting a bass rig and a guitar rig along to gigs / rehearsals etc...

Would I have to send the signal to the guitar rig an octave up?

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1454661769' post='2971709']
Yes I've got a Mesa Rectifier guitar rig but I'm thinking practically I'm not going to be carting a bass rig and a guitar rig along to gigs / rehearsals etc...

Would I have to send the signal to the guitar rig an octave up?
[/quote]

Yeh, it's not very practical. I used to do it! You wouldn't need an octave up, just cut out most of the bass from the signal going to the guitar amp (could use the guitar amps' EQ)

Anyway, now I CBA to carry around two rigs, I use a combination of dirt pedals in a blended loop, which is almost as good. I wouldn't recommend any dirt pedals as it's impossible to predict what will work with your bass, your rig, and your brain!!

...however, if you're just have a huge sound, any old fuzz blended with your clean signal would do. I like the clean to provide the bottom and top, with the fuzz covering the middle (in terms of EQ) which helps with definition. Maybe something like that is possible with your zoom multi?

[quote name='0175westwood29' timestamp='1454663519' post='2971719']
I think a fuzz for me what you want for huge fat sounds, have a look at the cog effects tarkin or maybe a sovtek based fuzz.

A light drive into a fuzz sounds massive imo, I use ATM a pike Vulcan xl into a fuzzrocious grey stache or rat tail

Andy
[/quote]
[quote name='clauster' timestamp='1454666650' post='2971765']
It's such a personal thing. Fuzzes are very popular but I much prefer distortions. The Fuzzrocious Cat Tail sounds huge. COG and Idiotbox also do Rat clones that work great for bass.
[/quote]

Thanks chaps... it's a very daunting world I know nothing about :blink:

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1454666716' post='2971768']
...however, if you're just have a huge sound, any old fuzz blended with your clean signal would do. I like the clean to provide the bottom and top, with the fuzz covering the middle (in terms of EQ) which helps with definition. Maybe something like that is possible with your zoom multi?
[/quote]

Yes I'm thinking this is the rotue to go down for now. I've enquired about a locally available big muff in the marketplace that appears to have a blend so I can mix it with my clean signal. I do like the zoom, it's a good piece of kit to use as a front end for recording when you have limited skills for that sort of thing like myself. I find it a little... well digital I guess, a little clinical and compressed, for my live needs.

The idea with this project is that I will need to be very dynamic as there is no guitar and I'm filling all the spectrum. I'm looking for something which responds to dynamics in my playing so if I'm playing softly as a build up that'll produce a different subtle tone to full on thumping out riffs. The zoom just does one tone regardless of playing dynamics.

Edited by CamdenRob

The 'which pedal should I try' question is so subjective. So much depends on your combination of rig, strings, fingers/pick, playing intensity etc. It's sometimes the case that when you see a You Tube demo a pedal sounds perfect, you buy one and it just doesn't do it for you. Also, I've got pedals that I tried that I was sure wouldn't work for me, but they turned out to be keepers. There are some good suggestions here but you'll have to find out for yourself what does the job for you. Something with a blend might be worth considering. Also, be aware that active and passive basses react differently to pedals due to impedance differences. It's a journey of discovery. Welcome aboard, and bring your wallet!

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1454667709' post='2971784']
...The zoom just does one tone regardless of playing dynamics.
[/quote]

I think that depends on the model you're using. I'm not sure what that particular model has, but I know the tube screamer on my b2.1u is pretty responsive

I could be miles off but I think I have a similar sound to the one in your head. This is using an ibanez SS10 which is chorus and tube screamer in one pedal. I have them on parallel so they're blended about 50/50. I have the gain quite low, but my bass is very loud so I can go from clean to very dirty. Then, I put this in another loop blending about 50/50 again. This all goes into a limiter, and then into an amp sim. I turn up loud, and when I play soft, it's loud but clean, when I play hard, it's loud but dirty. Something about the tube screamer enhances the mids in a very pleasing way, and with a bass boost on the amp sim, I have a huge sound. I still like to kick in some fuzz of extra dirt occasionally though. I really think that to fill out the whole spectrum you'll probably need more than one pedal. Octavers, chorus, delay, can all thicken up the sound

I advise you to snap up the Source Audio OFD currently going in the classifieds. It does overdrive, distortion and fuzz in one unit, has a clean blend and EQ and can sound massive. There's a lot of good and bad sounds in it, but it can do a really good tubey overdrive and Big Muff sound.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1454670867' post='2971828']
I advise you to snap up the Source Audio OFD currently going in the classifieds. It does overdrive, distortion and fuzz in one unit, has a clean blend and EQ and can sound massive. There's a lot of good and bad sounds in it, but it can do a really good tubey overdrive and Big Muff sound.
[/quote]

That looks like a versatile solution but I notice it doesn't run on batteries which is a bit of a deal breaker for me.

There is so much out there, I'm thinking I should just buy something and see how it works out... maybe I can work out what I want by virtue of what I don't want if you see what I mean.

I'm awaiting a response on the availability of a local big muff, so I'll see how that pans out.

I've got a Digitech Bad Monkey sitting around. Quite happy to send it to you if you want to try it out. Then, you can buy it if you like it or send it back. PM me if you're interested. It's a good sounding pedal for a cheapie and can be modified to sound even better for bass.

[quote name='Japhet' timestamp='1454677583' post='2971959']
I've got a Digitech Bad Monkey sitting around. Quite happy to send it to you if you want to try it out. Then, you can buy it if you like it or send it back. PM me if you're interested. It's a good sounding pedal for a cheapie and can be modified to sound even better for bass.
[/quote]

That's very kind of you... I'm going to see how the big muff works out but I'll drop you a line if I need something different :)

Out of interest, why is the lack of battery power a deal breaker, especially if the pedal comes with a power supply? If you really need to be free of power cables, there are rechargeable power supplies like the Pedaltrain Volto (although that seems overkill for just one pedal).

If you're just bass and drums, you may find you want more and more effects such as octavers until you end up needing a board to put them on! Look up the various threads discussing Royal Blood for some ideas on pitch shifting and creating fake guitar sounds too.

Some more great advice here from the BC breathern... I've watched so many YouTube demos of dirt pedals now that I can't see the wood for the trees at the moment 😕 Hopefully heading down to Denmark street today to try a few out :)

The battery power thing is just a personal preference at the moment. I'm trying to avoid having to carry a board around with me at this stage. Although that does seem to be inevitable in the end....

Another thing to bear in mind, is how much you want to spend on a specific pedal.

Cheap, mass produced pedals sound good, but "boutique" pedals do sound a lot better, but cost a lot more.

Is it worthwhile looking at getting a Fuzz AND a Distortion? That way you can have different flavours of grit for different songs?

OK... So I've made a bit of an error... I've tried splitting my signal through an LS-2 to my bass rig with my normal eq etc and also to my Mesa guitar rig, on the red channel with most of the bass taken out on the amp eq.

Unfortunately this is exactly the tone I want and now I'm trying to justify taking two amps with me everywhere 😕 Because the Mesa is all valve it responds to dynamics just the way I want. It is only a mini rectifier, so fairly easy to add on the trolley I usually use for getting my bass rig around on the tube. I will just have to rely on using studio / venue cabs.

Trouble is... Now I have opened the Pandora's box of effects can I get the lid back on before I end up looking at filters, octavers etc 😕 ... Oh dear.

Also... Can I damage my guitar amp / cabs running a bass through them?

Edited by CamdenRob