Why become a member? ×

Calling all MM players...

spiltmilk_2000

So I've always been a staunch jazz and p bass enthusiast. I have too many and really don't need any more instruments but lately keep looking at music man basses and thinking I might like to try one. (Never have!)

So, how can you convince I need one? Why do you love them? Which models should I check out and why? I'd probably be more interested in higher end rather than cheaper lines simply as I wouldn't want to end up upgrading later if I do buy one.

Thanks for any advice!

Edited by spiltmilk_2000

I specifically love the Stingray Classic. I used a three band standard 1994 Stingray in the second half of the nineties and struggled a bit with the clicky sounding EQ and the neck profile; yet it had a lot of presence and power and drove the band (a loud four piece) in a way that my Fenders didn't. I sold it and eventually recently picked up a Stingray Classic a while back to record my present band's second album - they are superb basses and I can't fault them. The 2 band EQ is darker and thumpier than the old 3 band ever was and the neck profile is wonderful. The fretboard is a 7.25 radius and fits the hand in a way the standard Ray never did (it's flatter at 11 inches radius or so).

For anyone in your position who wants a Musicman, I would recommend trying a Classic and then picking one up second hand. Personally I would go for a maple fretboard as well. If you kick the treble up you get all the glassy twang you would ever need, roll it off and it's thumpy Bernard Edwards all the way. Amazing basses! I would also recommend DR Sunbeams on these basses. The nickel tames the high end a bit and warms the overall tone up.

Edited by Cairobill

I think the best way to dip a toe in the water is pick up a second hand one from this site, theres usually a few kicking about.

Between 650 and 800 quid seems to be the going rate for a non mint one - you can always flip it for about the same after running it for a few months if you dont get on with it or if you fall in love and go on to choose the perfect colour and spec new.

I have had 4 versions so far and love them all in their own way -

Started with a USA Sub which kicked off the obsession. Its a great cheap way to get pretty much a full fat Classic for 400/500 quid. Upside is awesome gritty proper 2 band eq Ray sound and build quality. Downside is some dont get on with the slab body or painted neck.

Then tried a USA Sterling, lovely bass but found the neck a bit too skinny for my taste - swapped it for a 2 band proper Stingray. Still have it and love it.

At the same time, fell over a mad coloured 3 band eq Stingray. Had to have it.
Its the easiest to play out of all of them, the neck is a touch skinnier and its a bit lighter than the 2 band. The sound was a bit thinner, slightly less fat bass and a glassier treble than the 2 eq. Still great though and you dont notice it so much when recording, it just didnt quite have the trouser shake that the 2 band has.
So i popped a John East 3 band preamp in it and now its much more to my taste. Rounder fatter bass (althought still not quite the same as the 2 band) and a nicer smoother top end. It works better in boomy rooms.

I reckon the USA Sub is the way to go for a taster.......

I'm In Essex/Herts and youre welcome to pop round for a go on any if you like.

It's funny with me that I just can't be without a Stingray, I hardly ever use it live with the band I'm with atm, but love it for recording and noodeling.
I've had 3 and each time I have sold one, I just had to get another. Lesson learned and one will always be close.

Try one if you can first, especially with a band and see if it fits your sound. They are by nature fairly in your face soundwise imo.

Edited by Highfox

I have a very well worn USA SUB 4 string. It sounds so good, and the nice thing is its very easy to get a recognisable sound out of it.

My only gripe is I don't get on with active eqs and It just doesn't get the use it deserves.

The other problem is have you seen the original scratchplates for the SUB? Yuck!

Stingray - 2 or 3 band, H, HS or HH, they are all fantastic. The Classic is like a premium model with (usually) a very figured neck, 2 band EQ, slab body, chrome battery compartment, mute bridge, classic 'serial on bridge', etc. If you want something super versatile, go for a HH or a HS, if you purely want a classic 2 eq tone, the Classic is VERY hard to beat despite its high price. I've played a lot of Musicman basses and my Classic 5 is the best bass guitar I've played/owned.

Sterling - Like a slicker faster Stingray. More aggressive ceramic pickups, same 3 band EQ (although they used to make an unusual 2 EQ Sterling Classic), thinner jazz style neck on the 4 string (VERY fast to play). Nice basses.

Bongo - super modern, super fast 24 fret neck, very modern and cool EQ. Looks 'odd' at first but in the flesh the design is a work of art. I was sold as soon as I played one. They make a 3 EQ H Bongo, but the usual Bongos are HH or HS 4 EQ. The pickups are neodymium, so the sound is ultra precise and quick. However it will mot definitely 'warm up' with the EQ. I have heard some extremely good back pickup playing making it sound like a bridge jazz pickup and the S or H at the neck provides good P bass foundations.

Those are the main models. The 5 string variants are superb. They are NOT cheap, and personally I bought all of mine before price hikes. They also have new passive basses (not over here yet), the Gamechanger, 40th Anniversary Ray, etc etc.

My Big Al is a great passive/active bass and I am gutted they stopped making them.

I have lots of Musicman basses - I would suggest you go for a single pick up 3 band 4 string Stingray with a maple board - for the simple reason that whichever one you get you'll be lusting after one of those. Does all the Musicman sounds, but the mid range control on the EQ helps a lot in rooms with dodgy acoustics or if the guitarist or keyboard player suddenly start playing in your sonic space. The high pass filter also cuts some of the nasty boomy bass sounds.

A rosewood board makes a Musicman Stingray sound slightly different - darker and sometimes more refined - believe me, if you buy one you'll want a maple boarded one simply because that is the archetypal Musicman.

Remember, these basses react massively to nuances of plucking position and style - watch Ed Friedland's video to see this.

An HH Stingray gives the standard sound but 4 others by coil tap switch - these basses are hugely versatile, but once again, if you buy one you'll probably lust after the original H version.

The Classic gives you the 2 band EQ and highly figured maple neck and but a slab body - beautiful basses though and great for everything you want from a bass - even if you just sit and admire it!! I already have one but am lusting after a natural finish one (and a 40th Anniversary one). For me, this is an addiction that started in around 1979!!

I have a 79 stingray which i have had from new!....i suppose it is a bit of a one trick pony, but a very good one
which i would not part with.
why not dip your toe in the water, and look for a sterling ray 34 used!...85% of the real thing if you ask me!

I have a 2013 Stingray 5HH which is my current no 2 goto bass (after my Roscoe). I find it easy to play and whilst not all the sound suits me, there are some tunes where it is just perfect (mainly rock). I was tempted to get rid of last year but each time I pick it up, I remember why I bought it.

Lots of good advice here already.

If you want the pure mm experience, then the closest you can get to it in the current line up is a maple board stingray classic.

My personal favourite is the stingray HH as a do-it-all bass, though if already have a P and a Jazz then you may not need the versatility.

The bongo is fantastic, sheer bloody dynamite with a massive sound and great playability.

I also tried a a Reflex HH a few years back and was very impressed. A bit fuller and less zingy than a stingray and an absolute tone monster due to the pickup switching.

Would concur that 2EQ maple is the way to go for the quintessential Ray experience. Needn't be a Classic though, if you don't need flamed maple, strung through back or a 4 figure price tag..there's some good ones on SC just now for around the 800ish mark. They can be had lower than this, just a question of waiting. USA Subs are also a good entry into the 2EQ Ray, 400ish but with textured body finish, rosewood and painted neck and headstock. If these features ain't a showstopper, then Subs are a great shout.

Years agio a new colleague at work asked if I wanted to buy a bass off him. I said it wasn't really looking for one but out of curiosity what was it. When he said it was a Stingray I was quite tempted. He let me borrow it and very soon i had handed over some cash. It's been my number one bass since. It's an early 90's 2 band eq honey burst with a rosewood fretboard. I have never looked back on this. Years later my friend had to get another Ray as he missed this one. He now has a 3 band eq with maple neck and honey burst body.

The Ray s also our drummers favourite bass too. In our 3 piece it really cuts through and has a fantastic thump.

Edited by mep

I'd echo a lot of this and specifically what Cairobill says - I joined a three-piece (bass, drums, guitar) and used a Fender Jazz Bass at the time. I bought a MM Stingray and it really transformed the overall sound of the band. I can't sum it up all that well in words but it was just more powerful and seemed to fill in gaps.

Edited by thebassist

Sterling 4H owner here (vintage sunburst, rosewood fb, tort guard). After years of lusting after a MM (it's that tone), I bought a new one last year. The Sterling has a smaller body combined with a J-like neck width. Compared with a full sized Jazz bass body it's almost tiny. MM purists say there's only one MM tone, the 2 band StingRay, but this puppy barks and growls like there's no tomorrow. I love how you can use the entire 3 band EQ, even with maxed out controls it sounds great. I run mine in parallel pickup mode. It's an other take on the MM tone in a smaller and thus lighter package. I love it!

I had a stingray, then bought a P, sold the stingray kept the P, just couldn't get the sound I wanted out of a Ray, that's just my experience anyway.
Saw a rock covers band in the local pub the other week, he was playing a Ray, it sound absolutely awful, God knows what his settings were but all I could hear was clang clang clang with a bit of rumble thrown in, I felt like telling him, but just left he'd probably just think I was an interfering twat and ignore me, maybe it's what he wanted to sound like, takes all sorts, completely ruined Radar Love for me

Edited by PaulWarning

I love Musicman basses, and I particularly long to own a Stingray Classic, but unfortunately my ageing back and shoulder mean that I would need to find an exceptionally lightweight example. I know there are some out there, but they are few and far between. As it is, my HH Bongo is light, sounds amazingly punchy and has enough of the Musicman DNA to satisfy my needs. I know some people are not keen on the looks, but I personally think that the Bongo looks great with it's angular and futuristic 3-d champfering.

For me, MusicMan basses and guitars are the best.
Made for players.
Many of their models are very pretty and even exotic but essentially they are made to be played and if possible, gigged.

I've owned 3, USA Stingrays and a USA Sterling.
All superb, although I wasn't so keen on the Sterling's pickup.
At the moment I have a Stingray 4 HS, 2007, which is as good as any bass I've owned, if not better.

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1454670431' post='2971825']
I would suggest you go for a single pick up 3 band 4 string Stingray with a maple board - for the simple reason that whichever one you get you'll be lusting after one of those. Does all the Musicman sounds, but the mid range control on the EQ helps a lot in rooms with dodgy acoustics or if the guitarist or keyboard player suddenly start playing in your sonic space. The high pass filter also cuts some of the nasty boomy bass sounds.
[/quote]

^^^This.^^^

If it's a Stingray you are after, I've been lucky enough to own two quite different Stingray fours, one a 2-band pre-EB( last I heard it was currently owned by steve-soar, a fellow basschat user ) and the other is quite a recent acquisition, a 2015 EB 3-band. The first was a slab body like the new classic stingrays and had a rosewood board and was smothered in lacquer. My current one has the 'comfort' curves found in most EB Stingray's since the 90's, and has the very smooth waxed maple neck and board. Sound wise, the 2-band eq bass had a bit more clang than the current EB 3-band eq has. The waxed neck on my EB Stingray feels very fast compared to how the lacquered neck on the old bass felt but both were equally comfortable to play. It's difficult to say which is best, If i wanted an MM to hang on the wall and play occasionally, one of the new classics with a roasted maple neck and smothered with lacquer would be on my GAS list. For a solid gigging Stingray, any EB 3-band would do from the 90's onwards.