Why become a member? ×

Lightweight combo

Rumblebass

Hi all,

please excuse me, I've been out of the loop bass wise for a few years,but I'm dipping my toe back in the water. In 2008 when I retired from playing, my main stage rig was GB Rumour4 bass, through an EBS TD650 with 1 x 15 & 4 x 10 EBS Proline cabs.We had road crew so size/weight was never an issue. I'm now inflicting myself on the general public again, and wanted a powerful yet lightweight combo since I'll be hauling it around myself. Min. output of 300 watts preferred. Could I ask your assistance to advise whats out there currently please, that would be suitable?
Many thanks

R.

Lots of variables there, cost, tone etc..?

If you're looking for something like your old EBS rig, maybe start with having a look at the Gallien Kruegar lightweight stuff (MB heads and neo cabs), or EBS lightweight gear of course :) A lot of the other options tend towards the old school, SVT type vibe... Orange, Ashdown, Fender Rumble etc.

Edited by CamdenRob

It really depends on your budget, and what sort of music you'd be playing...you don't want to be struggling to be heard obviously.

If you've got a good budget then I'd be looking at one of the lightweight 212 cabs from say Bergantino, TKS, Barefaced etc combined with a lightweight head.

If however you're a bit more money conscious (like me :) ), then for a lightweight combo that doesn't cost a lot either it's hard to beat the Fender Rumble 500 v3. Lovely tone, holds its own volume wise in all but the loudest bands, even then you can add another cab and blow your bandmates through buildings. Great little combos...

I'm also a Rumour owner - sounds great through my Mesa Walkabout/ Vanderkley MNT112. I can also recommend the Genz Benz range - I have the 3.0 which is book sized, fits in a gig bag, weighs about 3KGs and does just about everything you'll need it to. If you need more power think about the 6.0/9.0 versions. With the addition of a good compressor you'll be in heaven.

Well I didn't like to mention AER Dan due to the cost...

But I have an AER amp two and it's an amazing combo. It's hard to describe but the sound - it's clear, massive and LOUD.

I absolutely love my amp two. The only drawback is the weight. At 50bs it's a little heavy to carry over any distance.

But the tone is as good as it gets. Highly recommended.

Frank.