Why become a member? ×

Bowie - Jean Genie

Hobbayne

I could be wrong but I think for live a top of the pops a re-recorded live version had to be submitted, normally recorded at a BBC studio and then mimed to ;).
Not sure what year that might of changed but I know it still went on in the 80's.
Think the Whistle test was the same in the 70's.

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1454709566' post='2972391']
I could be wrong but I think for live a top of the pops a re-recorded live version had to be submitted, normally recorded at a BBC studio and then mimed to ;).
Not sure what year that might of changed but I know it still went on in the 80's.
Think the Whistle test was the same in the 70's.
[/quote]

This was all a bit of smoke & mirrors to get past the Musician's Union, who insisted that the musicians got paid to re-record the track, so as soon as TOTP had booked the acts the record companies rushed to recording studios, would set up, the MU rep would turn up, see everything being done as per their agreement, at which point the plugger would take the MU guy to the pub, and when they returned a nice freshly copied tape would be handed presented to the rep and used on the BBC.

I had a big run in with the BBC, Sony Music and a very well known manager over a set of tapes that were supposedly "live at the BBC" but which Sony paid a musicologist who proved the tracks were the original masters. The BBC were furious, and denied this could have possibly happened, and yet it was a well known practice throughout the industry.

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1454710349' post='2972394']
This was all a bit of smoke & mirrors to get past the Musician's Union, who insisted that the musicians got paid to re-record the track, so as soon as TOTP had booked the acts the record companies rushed to recording studios, would set up, the MU rep would turn up, see everything being done as per their agreement, at which point the plugger would take the MU guy to the pub, and when they returned a nice freshly copied tape would be handed presented to the rep and used on the BBC.

I had a big run in with the BBC, Sony Music and a very well known manager over a set of tapes that were supposedly "live at the BBC" but which Sony paid a musicologist who proved the tracks were the original masters. The BBC were furious, and denied this could have possibly happened, and yet it was a well known practice throughout the industry.
[/quote]
I can well believe that.
I worked for many years with one of the guys that Directed TOTPS during the 70's 80's and 90's and to say he made sure he covered his own ass would be an understatement. We all know now the BBC wasn't as clean cut as it made out at the time.

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1454711007' post='2972398']
I can well believe that.
I worked for many years with one of the guys that Directed TOTPS during the 70's 80's and 90's and to say he made sure he covered his own ass would be an understatement. We all know now the BBC wasn't as clean cut as it made out at the time.
[/quote]

He'd have probably laughed , saying we should have known (especially as the manager in question was a very dodgy character)! It was some po-faced business affairs executive that had obviously never seen the inside of a TV studio!

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1454710349' post='2972394']

[/quote]
Ah, the old 'tape swap' days..

Honestly, they should have just got the 'tape swap' band in... it always took a fraction of the time and sounded exactly the same.

Ahem..