Why become a member? ×

The Bass Lesson

TheGreek

I've just started reading "The Music Lesson" by Victor Wootten for the third time - Re-rereading?? - I'd forgotten how elementary he makes learning to play and how easy it is to relate to what he's saying. Great book - I'd highly recommend it to anybody whether they're a fan of his style of playing or not. I think that there's much to be learned (still) from this book.

Anybody else read it?

• Like 5

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1454712445' post='2972413']
I've just started reading "The Music Lesson" by Victor Wootten for the third time - Re-rereading?? - I'd forgotten how elementary he makes learning to play and how easy it is to relate to what he's saying. Great book - I'd highly recommend it to anybody whether they're a fan of his style of playing or not. I think that there's much to be learned (still) from this book.

Anybody else read it?
[/quote]

I found it a good read and often go back to it.
However, I've loaned it to people who found the 'mysterious stranger' structure of the book twee and irritating.
As far as I'm aware I've never heard any Victor Wotton or seen his bass face, so you don't have to a fan to enjoy the book.

Some examples of the type of wisdom he uses....The quotes are actually spoken by the fictitious character, Michael.

"Now, we have ten different but equal parts of music, [i]notes, articulation, technique, feel, dynami[/i]cs,[i] rhythm, tone, phrasing, space and listening..." [/i]

Who would have thought that "playing" spaces was part of music??

He goes on to say:

"To play music, Good techniques is a must. You can know all the notes in the world. You can have the best ideas in the world but you need good technique to get them out. Your technique can be unorthodox, but if it is inadequate you will not be able to express yourself freely; you will frustrate yourself instead. Good technique allows you to use all the other elements at will..."

Struck a chord (no pun intended) with me...

[URL=http://s1167.photobucket.com/user/FairfaxAikman/media/victor%20wooten5_zpsyszdh22b.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/q639/FairfaxAikman/victor%20wooten5_zpsyszdh22b.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1454766977' post='2972783']
Some examples of the type of wisdom he uses....The quotes are actually spoken by the fictitious character, Michael.

"Now, we have ten different but equal parts of music, [i]notes, articulation, technique, feel, dynami[/i]cs,[i] rhythm, tone, phrasing, space and listening..." [/i]

Who would have thought that "playing" spaces was part of music??

He goes on to say:

"To play music, Good techniques is a must. You can know all the notes in the world. You can have the best ideas in the world but you need good technique to get them out. Your technique can be unorthodox, but if it is inadequate you will not be able to express yourself freely; you will frustrate yourself instead. Good technique allows you to use all the other elements at will..."

Struck a chord (no pun intended) with me...

[URL=http://s1167.photobucket.com/user/FairfaxAikman/media/victor%20wooten5_zpsyszdh22b.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/q639/FairfaxAikman/victor%20wooten5_zpsyszdh22b.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
[/quote]

I've seen people on here argue otherwise regarding good technique.

Just finished reading it for the first time today. Very different style of structuring the stories in an almost parable fashion to highlight the learning points. Enjoyable read with lots of focus on otherwise generally ignored aspects of playing music. Not entirely convinced of the style of the writing though for my tastes. But certainly don't regret reading it, thought provoking, and I will likely dip back into it.

[quote name='Musashimonkey' timestamp='1454793252' post='2973117']
Just finished reading it for the first time today. Very different style of structuring the stories in an almost parable fashion to highlight the learning points. Enjoyable read with lots of focus on otherwise generally ignored aspects of playing music. Not entirely convinced of the style of the writing though for my tastes. But certainly don't regret reading it, thought provoking, and I will likely dip back into it.
[/quote]

I know what you mean. I've read it a few times, and found the writing to be a bit, I don't know, not my thing I guess.

What he says is good though, it's a question of dipping into it, and taking something away to work on. It's quite a thought provoking book, which is good if you're serious about music.

His DVD kind of builds on what he says in the book. I highly recommend that.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1454712445' post='2972413']

Anybody else read it?
[/quote]

Wooten is way after my time, not from my generation of bass heroes.

However reading his book sounds like a good idea to me.I'm interested.

Blue

• 6 years later...

Just listening to this on Audible  - it's really quite interesting and I'm really enjoying it. I think having it narrated by VW himself brings it to life massively and I can see that if you are reading from a book it might be wierd. I'm loving the vibe and thinks it conceptually very clever and it already making me think about my playing in a different way.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CJPJ said:

Just listening to this on Audible  - it's really quite interesting and I'm really enjoying it. I think having it narrated by VW himself brings it to life massively and I can see that if you are reading from a book it might be wierd. I'm loving the vibe and thinks it conceptually very clever and it already making me think about my playing in a different way

Cheers. I have a credit needs using...

• Like 1

On 05/02/2016 at 22:47, TheGreek said:

Anybody else read it?

Not read it as I didn't know it existed. As for his interviews and demos of his style of play. Love it. Cant play it but still blown away by his skill 😀

• Like 1