Cheap and free VSTs (mostly for the full version of Kontakt)

89 replies to this topic

#61 lowdown

ďAll music is folk music.I ainít never heard a horse sing a song

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,109 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 11:25 AM

A heads up from VI Control for an updated 14 gig Percussion library now with an Arp setting.
Not free, but a very modest donation fee for an excellent library.
I purchased this the first time around and well worth the fee.

Direct link.
http://www.modwheel....perc-plus-redux

VI Control post.
http://vi-control.ne...4/#post-4061319

"Never Look At The Trombones. It Only Encourages Them." - Richard Strauss

SoundCloud

#62 Mornats

Hyper elite member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,295 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 08:09 PM

Ok, back to my Albion musings! I got a 10% discount code from Time Space after entering a competition. That puts the Albions at £360 instead of £399 so I'm going to pull the trigger on one. Question is, which one?

Albion One is the obvious starting point but I love the ethereal sounds of Albion V. With the list of sample libraries that I already own (listed above) I'm wondering whether I can get my standard orchestral sounds from those and make some real use out of Albion V. But I still go back to thinking about Albion One as the obvious backbone of my orchestral sounds (with my other sample libraries to be used as added colour and layering).

Edit: I made the sensible choice of going for Albion One :D

Edited by Mornats, 08 March 2017 - 10:03 PM.

• Main bass: Fender Standard Precision (MIM)
  • Other basses: Yamaha TRBX 504, Squier modified VM Jazz: KiOgon wiring loom and Entwistle JBXN pickups
  • MarkBass CMD 121P
Soundcloud: www.soundcloud.com/mornats.

#63 Dad3353

Basschat Lifer

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,934 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 10:56 PM

View Postlowdown, on 03 March 2017 - 11:25 AM, said:

A heads up from VI Control for an updated 14 gig Percussion library now with an Arp setting.
Not free, but a very modest donation fee for an excellent library.
I purchased this the first time around and well worth the fee.

Direct link.
http://www.modwheel....perc-plus-redux

VI Control post.
http://vi-control.ne...4/#post-4061319

Good call here. Good Stuff for a modest sum, which goes to a Good Cause. Recommended; thanks for posting this.
Have a nice day
Dad3353 (Douglas...)

BassChat Terms & Conditions............... Forum Behaviour Guidelines............... Rules & Guidelines for The Marketplace

#64 lowdown

• Members
  • 6,109 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 09:07 AM

View PostMornats, on 08 March 2017 - 08:09 PM, said:

Edit: I made the sensible choice of going for Albion One :D

The thing is with Albion One, apart from it's lovely sounding sections, is all the extra sound design patches in the Edna (Engine) Synth.
They have taken the original Orchestral section recordings and mangled them up, including arp and sequence rhythms.
So there are many decent, and very usable ethereal sounds available.

Be sure to check out the videos on YouTube from various people, because there is plenty to get stuck into.

Enjoy... :)

View PostDad3353, on 08 March 2017 - 10:56 PM, said:

Good call here. Good Stuff for a modest sum, which goes to a Good Cause. Recommended; thanks for posting this.

:thank_you:

Yes, a nice Cause.

Edited by lowdown, 09 March 2017 - 09:10 AM.

SoundCloud

#65 Mornats

Hyper elite member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,295 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 08:12 PM

In an attempt to bring this back on topic, this is out now and is half price: http://auddict.com/c...es-calypso.html - the demos sounds like it has lots of potential. I can't really buy a) yet another female voice VST and B) anything else for that matter after grabbing Albion One.

Speaking of which, I've had a play and it sounds great, fantastically amazingly great. It'll take a bit of learning but I jumped right in and did a quick one minute mockup just to try out some instruments. (Nothing I'd post, just something that covered most instruments and a few articulations I wanted to try out.) A few thoughts on it:
  • Everything blends together amazingly well. I think it was well worth grabbing this rather than trying to blend instruments from various libraries.
  • Dynamics work really well once you get the hang of them (I found recording legatos using the modwheel "live" a good start but then went into midi overdub mode to focus on the dynamics more).
  • It has a sense of epic about it but can do calmness quite well.
  • The drums are blastingly loud if you hammer that keyboard!
  • As Lowdown mentioned, the Brunel Loops and Stephenson Steam Band contains a massive amount of first class material. I'm going to enjoy tweaking it.
  • I'm eager for the 1.3 update with NKS support. I believe it's a tad overdue?
  • I can guarantee this won't be my last Spitfire library. Albion V Tundra will be bought if it's ever on sale. But not for a while. Next year at least. I promise. (crosses fingers).
I'm off to watch every video there is on Albion now :D Oh, and I still need to do a track for this month's composition challenge but my idea doesn't actually involve Albion at all (I actually went to Time+Space to grab the Alt-rock midi pack from Toontrack with my 10% off voucher before realising it would also apply to Albion One...). But hey ho, Albion got me a 15% voucher so I'll use that!
  • Other basses: Yamaha TRBX 504, Squier modified VM Jazz: KiOgon wiring loom and Entwistle JBXN pickups
  • MarkBass CMD 121P

#66 Mornats

Hyper elite member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,295 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 03:47 PM

JRRShop have Miroslav Philharmonik CE for $49.99. Apply the code "GROUP" to get it down to $41.99 (if it doesn't auto-apply it) - quite the bargain!

https://www.jrrshop....philharmonik-ce
  • MarkBass CMD 121P

#67 Dad3353

Basschat Lifer

• Forum Moderators
  • 10,934 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 05:32 PM

View PostMornats, on 10 May 2017 - 03:47 PM, said:

JRRShop have Miroslav Philharmonik CE for $49.99. Apply the code "GROUP" to get it down to $41.99 (if it doesn't auto-apply it) - quite the bargain!

https://www.jrrshop....philharmonik-ce

Damn..! If you'd posted this 24 hours earlier, I'd have saved $8..! :rolleyes: The sound libraries are downloading as I type, so can't say, yet, how it sounds, but if it's any improvement at all on Philharmonik 1 (already splendid...), I'll be happy enough. B)
Have a nice day
Dad3353 (Douglas...)

BassChat Terms & Conditions............... Forum Behaviour Guidelines............... Rules & Guidelines for The Marketplace

#68 Dad3353

Basschat Lifer

• Forum Moderators
  • 10,934 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 11:28 AM

View PostMornats, on 10 May 2017 - 03:47 PM, said:

JRRShop have Miroslav Philharmonik CE for $49.99...

Follow-up, having acquired and installed this...

All the pain in the world to (finally...) understand how to actually trigger the download, after having to install an all-new Authorisation Manager for IK MultiMedia stuff. Once installed, this triggered a whole set of 'freebies' that I didn't ask for, such as AmpliTube, SampleTank 2.5 and more, plus a few 'Stores' (now what in the world could they be for, I wonder..? :happy: ), but still no actual sounds. These have to be downloaded separately. Finally, it all came together, and I was able to play some stuff. First thing to try was the old version 1 sounds. Deception. They are very incomplete (there are some, but not at all the variety, nor the same richness as the old version...). Hmm... How about the new sounds, then..? Deception, too; this is a 'lightweight' version, don't forget, and, although the sounds are very good (I liked the oboes, for instance...), there is, again, a much lesser choice compared to Phil. 1. Almost no percussion, for instance, a big blow for me, a drummer..!
Never mind, I still have Phil 1, don't I..? Well, no, it won't run any more..! Damn and blast..! Much perusal of t'web, much register cleaning and (light...) swearing at IK Multimedia (despite their having helped me get through the authorisation process...), I finally found the key. It would appear that these products need to run in Administrator mode, and oblige Reaper to do the same if calling up these Vst's. No big deal for me, once I'd found this out (not from IK, of course..!), and I have now recovered Phil 1 (Phew..!), but it was a scary ride. Yes, the quality of the new sound library is up to scratch, and worth the rather modest expense, but no kudos for making it so blinking difficult for an old duffer such as myself. It's limited (it's a 'CE', 'light' version, so no surprise there...), and would serve well enough for those without the mega-budget of the fuller versions, but I'm not enamoured of the IK way of doing things, and will not be 'upgrading' or adding any of the extras (such as a Percussion library..!), as they're quite too far above my modest, pension, budget.
Make what you will of the deal, then; to each their own. No regrets on my part for the purchase, but I would have liked a smoother ride. All is well, now; but I'll still be using Phil 1 for decades to come, though, as it has far more scope, for what I do. Phil 2 I'll ease myself into, gradually, for specific compositions.
Hope this helps.
Have a nice day
Dad3353 (Douglas...)

#69 Mcgiver69

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 10:48 AM

Here is my contribution to this thread:

- MT PowerDrumkit 2: This is a free drum kit and like EZ Drums it has free drum samples, it can be loaded into a bus too. It's free to use but you'll have to skip the nag page every time you load your daw but if you contribute with let's say £5 it'll remove the nag page.
http://www.powerdrumkit.com/

- Sennheiser Drumic'a: This is free drum kit that uses Kontakt, this won't stop after 15 mins like most free Kontakt libraries. It is a whopping 9gb but sounds great and you can select among 3 mics to tailor your sound. Can be bussed too.
Website is in German so you'll need Google Translate, just register to receive your activation code.
http://de-de.sennheiser.com/drummica

- Ample Guitar M Lite II: This is an Acoustic guitar plugin, this thing sounds like the real deal, just check the samples. It has picking option and strumming option. just download and use it for free no questions asked.
http://www.amplesoun...pro-pd.asp?id=7

Edited by Mcgiver69, 16 May 2017 - 10:49 AM.

Bases:
Aria GT5
ESP Surveyor LTD 5
Ibanez SoundGear 885 "Alfred"
Peavey Grind BXP 5
Amps:
Peavey Tour 450
Carvin BX500
Cabs:
Bill Fitzmaurice Omni 10
Warwick WC210

"Me, I'm strictly an equal-opportunities misanthropist - I try to hate everybody equally." (EarBrass)

#70 lowdown

• Members
  • 6,109 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 11:35 AM

View PostMcgiver69, on 16 May 2017 - 10:48 AM, said:

- Sennheiser Drumic'a: This is free drum kit that uses Kontakt, this won't stop after 15 mins like most free Kontakt libraries. It is a whopping 9gb but sounds great and you can select among 3 mics to tailor your sound. Can be bussed too.
Website is in German so you'll need Google Translate, just register to receive your activation code.
http://de-de.sennheiser.com/drummica

Ok cheers. Might check this one out.

Regarding free Kontakt libraries timing out after 15 minutes.
That only happens in the free Kontakt player, not the full version of Kontakt.
Something to do with the vendor not supplying a license, and the reason I think,
is that it will cost them a fee to Native Instruments for a license for the player version, but not the full version.

EDIT:
The reason this VST has a license/activation code is, it was given away with a magazine or maybe a small fee originally .....But anyway, free now for both the NI samplers.
Thanks for the link.
:)

Edited by lowdown, 16 May 2017 - 11:41 AM.

SoundCloud

#71 Bigwan

Hyper elite member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 01:54 PM

View Postlowdown, on 25 May 2016 - 07:54 PM, said:

I know this thread is a two man show with the odd groupie hanging on,
But, another $20.00 gem has landed.
Very unique sounds and you can do some very clever tricks with it.
A real Diamond.
http://impactsoundwo...c/sonic-forest/

Can anyone suggest something like this that DOESN'T need the full version of Kontakt (HOW MUCH?!)? Have a few songs that could benefit from these sort of sounds. Total newb at this sort of stuff though...
ACG Finn 4 Standard - ACG Recurve 5 Custom - Fender US Precision - Yamaha Pulser 400

Barefaced Two10 - Ashdown ABM C110 - Ashdown 4x8 cabs (x2) - Burman PowerPak pre/power

My Feedback

#72 lowdown

• Members
  • 6,109 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 02:41 PM

View PostBigwan, on 16 May 2017 - 01:54 PM, said:

Can anyone suggest something like this that DOESN'T need the full version of Kontakt (HOW MUCH?!)? Have a few songs that could benefit from these sort of sounds. Total newb at this sort of stuff though...

I believe there is a free sample player knocking about on the web that might load Kontakt libraries and patches.
IIRC, Dad3353 has this, so he would possibly know more about it.
Hopefully he will come along, if not PM him.

SoundCloud

#73 Bigwan

Hyper elite member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 02:54 PM

I know from the Impact Sound website that it needs the full version of Kontakt to play it, but if there was another player that would work I'd buy that in a shot!
ACG Finn 4 Standard - ACG Recurve 5 Custom - Fender US Precision - Yamaha Pulser 400

Barefaced Two10 - Ashdown ABM C110 - Ashdown 4x8 cabs (x2) - Burman PowerPak pre/power

My Feedback

#74 Mornats

Hyper elite member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,295 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 07:27 PM

A lot of the cheaper libraries require the full version of Kontakt to run. It's a shame as there's a load of top quality fairly cheap libraries out there. There's a cost to developers to get their instrument to work in the free Kontakt player and I heard it was around the £50k mark (per instrument) so it rules out a lot of the smaller developers and their cheaper libraries.
  • MarkBass CMD 121P

#75 Dad3353

Basschat Lifer

• Forum Moderators
  • 10,934 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 08:21 PM

Bigwan, on 16 May 2017 - 01:54 PM, said:

...HOW MUCH?!)?...

Would this be of any interest..?

Ebay: S/H Kontakt 5 Full bundle for sale ...

No idea at what price it'll go for in the end, of course, but that's the way to reduce the cost.
Have a nice day
Dad3353 (Douglas...)

#76 Bigwan

Hyper elite member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 11:46 AM

View PostDad3353, on 18 May 2017 - 08:21 PM, said:

Would this be of any interest..?

Ebay: S/H Kontakt 5 Full bundle for sale ...

No idea at what price it'll go for in the end, of course, but that's the way to reduce the cost.

On it! Thanks for that!

My Feedback

#77 Mornats

Hyper elite member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,295 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 06:05 PM

Do you have any third party Kontakt libraries? You can get Kontakt on a crossgrade for £209. Just log in to your Native Instruments account, click buy on Kontakt and see whether you have a qualifying product.

Another way to do it is to get the Komplete bundle. If you're in the market for one of their keyboards or a Maschine then you get Komplete Select with it which can be upgraded to Komplete (which includes Kontakt and a lot more products) for I think £319 (hard to tell as I own Komplete Ultimate 10 so it offers me the update primarily). They sometimes have sales where the upgrade is cheaper, sometimes up to half price.

I worked my way from the keyboard with a cut-price upgrade to Komplete 10 which I then upgraded to Komplete Ultimate in a half price upgrade sale. I worked out this was the cheapest possible way I could ever have bought KU10. I was after the keyboard anyway so it worked out well :)
  • MarkBass CMD 121P

#78 Mornats

Hyper elite member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,295 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 04:17 PM

Native Instruments have their summer half price update/upgrade sale on. As a result there are several ways to grab Kontakt for cheap (cheaper than normal anyway).

https://www.native-i...-of-sound-2017/

If you own a qualifying Kontakt library instrument you can grab the full Kontakt 5 for £104.50.

If you fancy some of their hardware (I have the S61 keyboard, Maschine MkII and Maschine Jam and love them all) then you get a special price on a bundle. Cheapest way to get Kontakt here is buying the Maschine Mikro and paying £159 for the upgrade to Komplete 11 - this gives you WAY more stuff than just Kontakt.

I'm currently on Komplete 10 Ultimate and since my purchase of Albion One I'm no longer looking at the Symphony Series otherwise it would have been a no-brainer bargain update for me. As it stands, I'm interested in the upgrade to Replika XT and maybe Form as that looks interesting. Not worth the update price right now for me due though. So I may just grab the Replika XT upgrade.
  • MarkBass CMD 121P

#79 Mornats

Hyper elite member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,295 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 03:00 PM

Can't believe I've not mentioned this before. If you buy the latest issue of Computer Music magazine (and can get over the content that constantly focuses on phat beats and killer lead lines for EDM) then you get a whole bunch of plugins (instruments and effects) for free. Here's the list http://www.musicrada...-effects-571808
  • MarkBass CMD 121P

#80 Bigwan

Hyper elite member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 01:56 PM

Komplete software and hardware bundles on offer at absolute music, ends today (10th July)

My Feedback

#81 Dad3353

Basschat Lifer

• Forum Moderators
  • 10,934 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 05:11 PM

View PostBigwan, on 10 July 2017 - 01:56 PM, said:

Komplete software and hardware bundles on offer at absolute music, ends today (10th July)

Ordered, but the payment process has got stuck, not recognising the delivery method (downloadable software, so...). I've sent off a PM to 'em asking how to proceed, we'll see what transpires. :sad:
Have a nice day
Dad3353 (Douglas...)

#82 Mornats

Hyper elite member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,295 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 07:26 PM

I've got a Maschine MkII, a Maschine Jam, a Komplete Kontrol S61 keyboard and Komplete Ultimate 10. I love how they all work together and make the process of coming up with a track much slicker. If you're interested in them at all then it's worth grabbing one at these prices.
  • MarkBass CMD 121P

#83 Dad3353

Basschat Lifer

• Forum Moderators
  • 10,934 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 07:49 PM

View PostMornats, on 10 July 2017 - 07:26 PM, said:

...If you're interested in them at all...

My good lady has much patience and understanding, but where £30-odd quid for a software suite passes, bigger bucks would cause a bit more than friction, I'm afraid. I content myself with the thought that, in my case at least, it's not the resources available that inspiration, nor higher quality execution; bits of string and oodles of patience bring as good a result as I'm capable of in any case. Just as well I'm 'skint', though, or I'd need to build another extension..! :lol:
Have a nice day
Dad3353 (Douglas...)

#84 Mcgiver69

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 03:20 PM

If you're bored with your bass tones and are looking for something new and FREE, check this one out! it's maybe my absolute favourite bass amp plugin. Check out the demo song for a better reference.

Download Free Bass tube amp plug-in: Vee Bass Amp by Viper ITB
Bases:
Aria GT5
ESP Surveyor LTD 5
Peavey Grind BXP 5
Amps:
Peavey Tour 450
Carvin BX500
Cabs:
Bill Fitzmaurice Omni 10
Warwick WC210

"Me, I'm strictly an equal-opportunities misanthropist - I try to hate everybody equally." (EarBrass)

#85 paul_5

Kaye Baiter Extrordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,115 posts
  • Interests:Recidivism, tea & crumpets, unlikely and bizarre things

Posted 23 July 2017 - 09:58 AM

Freebie GK amp sim here:
http://www.pluginbou...m/products/2266

Not a bad sounding little plug in.
Feedback
AMPEG, Barefaced & little boxes full of Doctortweek's lovely bits.

#86 Mcgiver69

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 10:00 AM

paul_5, on 23 July 2017 - 09:58 AM, said:

Freebie GK amp sim here:
http://www.pluginbou...m/products/2266

Not a bad sounding little plug in.

I used the first one they released and didn't like the fact that even though it was free it would stop working after 30 mins. I hope they had changed this.

Will try it as I liked the first one, it sounded great.
Bases:
Aria GT5
ESP Surveyor LTD 5
Peavey Grind BXP 5
Amps:
Peavey Tour 450
Carvin BX500
Cabs:
Bill Fitzmaurice Omni 10
Warwick WC210

#87 Dad3353

Basschat Lifer

• Forum Moderators
  • 10,934 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 10:08 AM

Mcgiver69, on 24 July 2017 - 10:00 AM, said:

I used the first one they released and didn't like the fact that even though it was free it would stop working after 30 mins. I hope they had changed this.

Will try it as I liked the first one, it sounded great.

It now come with a serial n°, and so should no longer have the time limitation. I tried it out, but would use it for more than 30 minutes in any case; I far prefer my Amplitube Hiwatt sim (well, they call it HiAmp, but whatever...) for bass. I found the GK to be, in general, excessively muddy, and the tone controls particularly ineffective. I'll try again another day when I have another bass line to create, so all is not lost (but the Hiwatt is very good indeed, so... :D ).
Have a nice day
Dad3353 (Douglas...)

#88 Mcgiver69

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 02:01 PM

Dad3353, on 24 July 2017 - 10:08 AM, said:

It now come with a serial n°, and so should no longer have the time limitation. I tried it out, but would use it for more than 30 minutes in any case; I far prefer my Amplitube Hiwatt sim (well, they call it HiAmp, but whatever...) for bass. I found the GK to be, in general, excessively muddy, and the tone controls particularly ineffective. I'll try again another day when I have another bass line to create, so all is not lost (but the Hiwatt is very good indeed, so... :D ).

Try the last plugin I posted that one is particularly good, another one to look is the Ignite Amps SHB-1 that one is good
Bases:
Aria GT5
ESP Surveyor LTD 5
Peavey Grind BXP 5
Amps:
Peavey Tour 450
Carvin BX500
Cabs:
Bill Fitzmaurice Omni 10
Warwick WC210

#89 Dad3353

Basschat Lifer

• Forum Moderators
  • 10,934 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 03:33 PM

Mcgiver69, on 25 July 2017 - 02:01 PM, said:

Try the last plugin I posted that one is particularly good, another one to look is the Ignite Amps SHB-1 that one is good

Cheers, not too impressed with the Viper either, but the Ignite sounds better to me. It's all good, they just need matching to the particular project. It's true that I rarely use overdrive or distortion on bass, for instance, either virtual or playing 'live', but sometimes (just sometimes...) a bit of 'grit' sounds OK. No, not often, but sometimes. :)
Have a nice day
Dad3353 (Douglas...)

#90 Bigwan

Hyper elite member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 07:41 PM

Selling my recently acquired copy of Komplete 10 in the classifieds if anyone is interested. Garageband is definitely more my level!

My Feedback

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users