Why become a member? ×

stingray 5 intonation trouble

Damonjames

Hey guys n gals,

Just had a rather embarrassing experience while trying to record a bass track for a friend.
The intonation seems fine on the 12th harmonic, but seems out on the 3-5 fretted positions, despite adjustments on the bridge saddle we couldn't get it to play in tune.
I have thought I noticed this in the past, and checked tuning/intonation and just put it down to my ears hearing something that isn't there - apparently it is very much there!!!

I am assuming that this is one of two things, either there is something fundamentally wrong with the neck, or it is a strong issue. For reasons I won't go into here, my lead in to today wasn't the best, so I'm prepared for the lack of preparation comments, but could it just be old strings causing this? Has anyone else with a stingray 5 had this issue?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

It'd take some serious issue for the neck to be affecting intonation that much - well, enough that you'd notice the bass was unplayable.

Do you not use the SR5 much? Are the strings old?

It'd be my first port of call to swap the strings out.

Are the frets pitted/worn?

All just possibilities.

Check the intonation by playing/fretting the twelfth (with a tuner) rather than the harmonic if you haven't already.

Nut slots as mentioned above is a possibility also, these can definitely throw things way out. Get the tuner out and observe where it's off and by how much and where it's ok etc and report back :).

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1454790511' post='2973083']
Were you playing along to things that were already recorded?
If so are you sure they were in tune?
[/quote]

Fair point, I struggled tracking against a piano and drum track, the indignity of the keys player "it's a DIGITAL PIANO, durrr"

Had hit a setting on the clavinova he didn't know how to use where you could select something other than 440hz

And it looks as though early stingray 5's don't have compensated nuts, mine is a '95.

Doing some reading, it looks as though it could be a string issue. I've never had it befor and had way more dead strings before now. I'll get some fresh ernie balls on and reset everything.

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1454878331' post='2973893']
Could it be that performance anxiety for the recording is making you unconsciously press harder than usual, pulling the notes sharp?
[/quote]

Sadly, it's not that! The guitarist even tried with the same result!

If the nut is cut oddly or worn, the string may not be vibrating from the front of the nut, but further back (in the direction of the tuners)
This would have the effect of making the lower frets sharp, becoming less noticeable higher up and, of course bang on at 12th, as that's where you checked the intonation. I wouldn't have thought this effect would be [i]very[/i] noticeable though.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all, sorry for the delay, it's been a crazy couple of weeks!
So I finally got the new stings on the 'Ray, and as expected, had to adjust the truss rod a bit to get rid of the excessive relief (I don't know what strings were on there but they were stainless). I have replaced them with standard sliky's.
The Intonation was being VERY temperamental, but I think I have it close, but will report back again in a day or two once the new strong fa have settled a bit. The nut didn't look unusual by the way.
The interesting thing is that if I set the open string and harmonic to the correct pitch, (mostly e and a string) the problem area around 3-5 was still there. I had to set it up for the right pitch on the lost frets and just accept the compromise up higher.
Will keep you posted!