Why become a member? ×

piezos

steve-bbb

can anyone advise please on the pros and cons of piezo - specifically the sort that are the single strip under the saddle type? (do these work ok on solid bodies or are they more intended for acoustics?)

I've seen them available for bass and i have a cunning plan for my fretless to mount on underside of bridge with a small thin channel cut in the body to accommodate

how do they compare with individual saddle piece piezo bridges?

and more specifically I'm looking to fit it with the [b][url="http://www.east-uk.com/index.php/bass/piezo-magnetic-mixer.html"]east preamp[/url][/b] (into an east u-retro)

other option i guess is[b] [url="http://www.graphtech.com/products/brands/ghost/product-detail/pn-8304-00-ghost-p-j-bass-style-pickups---4-string"]replacement saddles [/url][/b] (the bridge is a gotoh 401 and this is fixed as i have attacked the body with a chisel to lower the plate flush into the body to accommodate its extra chunkiness)

i know the sound i like and am after (early TRB) but anything close would be good

ta muchly :)

Edited by steve-bbb

Under saddle piezo strips generally go hand in hand with an acoustic type saddle which comes into direct contact with it. I'm not sure how well a piezo strip would work under a regular bridge plate. The piezo channel and bottom of the saddle need to be perfectly flat to ensure good contact and even string pressure/volume. I've used Fishman and D-Tar under saddles, both in hollow body basses designed specifically for that purpose.

Piezo saddles are a good option for a solid body. I have a Hipshot piezo bridge with an East piezo buffer in my fretless ACG (in combination with a mag pickup and East SPM-01 3-band eq). This configuration works extremely well, particularly for fretless.

[quote name='ikay' timestamp='1454847572' post='2973444']
Under saddle piezo strips generally go hand in hand with an acoustic type saddle which comes into direct contact with it. I'm not sure how well a piezo strip would work under a regular bridge plate. The piezo channel and bottom of the saddle need to be perfectly flat to ensure good contact and even string pressure/volume. I've used Fishman and D-Tar under saddles, both in hollow body basses designed specifically for that purpose.

Piezo saddles are a good option for a solid body. I have a Hipshot piezo bridge with an East piezo buffer in my fretless ACG (in combination with a mag pickup and East SPM-01 3-band eq). This configuration works extremely well, particularly for fretless.
[/quote]

thanks am pleased to hear the east piezo preamp works well with the east tone board (only to be expected i guess) :)

looks like i will be ordering some graph tech saddles then and hacking bit of wood out of the body to fit it all in!