Why become a member? ×

Change up to what ?

The Hat

I'm talking low end around the 300 to 400 mark and am wanting to get something slightly better than my Bass Collection Nanyo. I'm after something that is easy to play in my still very much beginner hands.
Was thinking of a Squire Vintage Jazz ?
My influences are Norman Watt Roy, Stranglers, Stones , funk, none of which I can play at mo but just to give an idea of what I'm into.. Was thinking a Jazz as it would give me more versatility ?

I think that you're going to be disappointed - the Nanyo you're selling is a surprisingly good bass and great VFM - unlikely you're going to find a better bass in your price range. Having said this you may want to try a MM SUB Ray which are about £350 new.

I think you'd probably have to go used to get an good upgrade over the bass you have, but in the meantime getting to
PMT and trying as many basses as you can will be a help.

And I am sorry but Squier not Squire! unless you're a knight in which case, err, as you were I 'spose :blush:

Well in that case the Squiers mentioned have to be worth checking out. I like the look of the 70s one, black/black/maple + blocks. From the music mentioned it would do those nicely - the 70s pickup placing also very nice for funk.

[quote name='The Hat' timestamp='1454876492' post='2973873']
If I'm totally honest, I don't really like the look of it. I know that's really shallow, but ya got ya look at your bass and get excited ain't ya
[/quote]

I know what you mean. Those Nanyo Bass Collection basses are great instruments but I could never get past the fact that I think they look horrible.

[quote name='mikeycrikey' timestamp='1454875291' post='2973849']
Was in Manchester PMT and they had sunburst Yamaha BB 1024x for £350. Great value. If I didn't already have one I would of bought it
[/quote]

Crikey Mikey - that's a stonkin' good bass for that money!

[quote name='The Hat' timestamp='1454876492' post='2973873']
If I'm totally honest, I don't really like the look of it. I know that's really shallow, but ya got ya look at your bass and get excited ain't ya
[/quote]

Can't judge you for that - I liked my Warwick RB fretless until I saw a photo of me onstage with it and realised the small body looked like a child's toy on me! Promptly part-exed for a fretless Fender Jazz (which, to be fair, was also more to my liking in terms of tone).