Why become a member? ×

Hartke or SWR making the EBS type sound?

Gunsfreddy2003

I bought a Hartke amp a while ago and paired it up with two SWR Workingman 1 x 10" cabs. The sound from the rig is awesome especially when used wth my Jazz bass and has a Marcus Miller esque tone to it - plenty of high end sparkle which reminds me of the EBS tone.

Keen to gig with this set up but the 140 watt rating of the head worries me as it does not give much headroom. So would like to know from others if Hartke are known for an EBS type zing in their sound or if it is coming from the cabs? I can then work out how I make a better rig for gigging with - any comments or experiences with these two brands would be welcome.

Ah that makes sense - they sound like EBS but not quite so "zingy". Did have a Reidmar before with an EBS 2x12 but it as just a bit too harsh for my tastes. But like the EBS stuff there must be something in the Hartke heads as the Mark Bass through SWR does not sound anything like it!

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1454861599' post='2973642']
It's the horns in SWR that put them in the EBS playing field. Some players I know actually prefer running EBS heads with SWR cabs due to the higher cross over point of the SWR.

Why not go Reidmar?
[/quote]

This ^

I bought two Goliath Jr III from my good friend Mr Simpson who also used to use up to four of them with an EBS HD350 / TD650. Just two sounded awesome with the 350!

I rather suspect that tonal character you like is that of the SWR cabs so maybe you could consider a Hartke 3500 if you like their amps?

Edited by VTypeV4