Why become a member? ×

fret and buzz..noise!!!!!

Terry004

Hi Guys,
bought a Squier Affinity j Bass, trying to get into slap Bass style..problem is E string, really bad twangy fret noise and buzzing. Took it to a Luthier who adjusted the relief and the bridge..nice low set up and action now but still got that really annoying fret twang, I'm using 45-105 strings...anyone got any ideas...?

Here's a good video that shows how to check the height of the strings in the nut.

It's a Warwick video so it show you how to adjust the nut. You can't do this on a Fender Squier, but the method of measuring is the same. At least you can identify of you have a problem.

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NEXH61OCJY"]https://www.youtube....h?v=-NEXH61OCJY[/url]

Oh, and welcome to Basschat. :crigon_04:

Edited by Grangur

[quote name='Terry004' timestamp='1454864010' post='2973668']
Hi Guys,
bought a Squier Affinity j Bass, trying to get into slap Bass style..problem is E string, really bad twangy fret noise and buzzing. Took it to a Luthier who adjusted the relief and the bridge..nice low set up and action now but still got that really annoying fret twang, I'm using 45-105 strings...anyone got any ideas...?
[/quote]

Watch these videos and once you've watched them all, you'll be able to set up your own bass (it really isn't difficult).

http://youtu.be/te44eWXd9pc

[font="open_sans, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"][color="#333333"][size=3]Hi guys and thanks for the feedback,[/size][/color][/font]
[font="open_sans, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"][color="#333333"][size=3] essexbasscat mentioned the strings in his reply, I didn't renew the strings after the Luthier setup because the guitar is fairly new. I'm using [/size][/color][/font][color=#333333][font=open_sans, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Fender USA Bass 7250ML, NPS, (.045-.100 [/size][/font][/color][color=#333333][font=open_sans, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Gauges) [/size][/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=open_sans, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3] do you think these strings are to lite for slap bass style? also I am fairly new to bass guitar although I have played lead guitar for many years [/size][/font][/color]
Thanks
Terry

Those gauges should be absolutely fine for slap (or any other style).

Is it possible it might be a technique issue? You don't need to slap or pull the strings very hard to get a good slap sound, a lighter touch is generally better. Also basses are generally noisier than electric guitars when it come to string noise & fret buzz, especially if you hit the strings hard.

Other than that my only suggestion is to take the bass to another luthier or tech, demonstrate the problems you are having and get a second opinion.

[quote name='jimcroisdale' timestamp='1455025911' post='2975135']
Could be a loose fret somewhere?
[/quote] Or a fret lifting from the fingerboard on the E side.

Does the bass play well finger-style, with no buzzes? - If so, it's likely to be technique, rather than the bass