Why become a member? ×

NBD - Fender jazz bass with Aguilar pickups

bassbiscuits

I paid a visit to Bass Direct on the weekend, to trade in my Sandberg TT4 - a stunning bass, amazing to play and so light and comfy, but rather too polite and hi fi for me, and sadly just not the sound i have in my head. I am something of a Fender fanboy I must admit.

Came out with this - a 2008 USA jazz, which the previous owner had pimped with a pair of Aguilar hot jazz pickups. It sounds immense.

I had a good noodle of a lot of really nice basses while there, but this one came out the best match for my needs - fat and full and loud, but still with the extra tonal range on offer from a jazz over my existing P basses.

I love the black/tort/maple combination I've gotta to say!

Currently doing the thing of just carting it around the house with me so I can look at it wherever I am sitting. Done a lot of sofa noodling.

Likely to get a chance to gig it this weekend, and prepared for my band to go: "What? Another bass?" And me having to say: "Ah yeah but this one is different...."

Excuse the upside down pics btw - can't seem to correct them but you get the idea anyway.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1454884330' post='2973957']
Congrats, I`ve just recently got hold of a US 2012 in the same colour combo and agree, love it. Bet those Aggie pickups are good.
[/quote]

Cheers Lozz - and congrats on your new purchase too! Yep those pickups certainly sounded great at the store thru an amp even with the EQ flat. Plenty of welly and fatness but still a passive pickup tone.

I spent a fair bit of time playing the various basses I liked unplugged first anyway, to get a feel for which were loud and most resonant.

I had a half hour blast of it when I got home just straight into a Little Mark head and my Schroeder 1210 cab and it sounded really good.