Why become a member? ×

I am definitely going to get slagged for this but

Geek99

Clayton does exactly what he needs to for the U2 gig. Whether or not you are a fan, the popularity of their music speaks for itself.

I don't think any of us will be in a position to judge him as an unimaginative or 'bad' bass player until he releases a solo album that showcases the full range of his skills.

He hasn't always helped himself mind, I remember an interview in Guitarist ( or possibly Bassist) in the 90s where he spoke about using sequencers and loopers on U2's most recent tours and essentially miming for large parts of the show. I have wondered if those comments are the fountainhead of a lot of the derision aimed in his direction.

Edited by Cato

Anyone who slags you off for having the audacity to listen to a U2 album and express a positive opinion about the bass playing contained within is a snobby, self important idiot and can GTFO as far as I'm concerned. Listen and appreciate away.

I think actually I get annoyed more at people who slate simple bass players. As a bassist you have a better defined role in a band that anyone and you know what? Sometimes quarter-noting the root note is the right thing to do.

Every time I see a bass player berate a bassist for not shredding and doing root notes I think, "you're not a bass player".

Sometimes simple is the right thing to do, sometimes complex is the right thing to do. Half the time self-restraint is the real power of bass players IMO.

an unimaginative or 'bad' bass player until he releases a solo album that showcases the full range of his skills.
[quote]
He hasn't always helped himself mind, I remember an interview in Guitarist ( or possibly Bassist) in the 90s where he spoke about using sequencers and loopers on U2's most recent tours and essentially miming for large parts of the show. I have wondered if those comments are the fountainhead of a lot of the derision aimed in his direction.
[/quote]
I didn't know that part - you may be right

bassists who keep it simple often get slated, and unfairly imo.

U2 has enough egocentric w***ery in it that all AC should be doing is holding down the low end.

In some genres and bands the bassist just needs to keep it simple, the fact that he can hold down the groove and rhythm for the good of a song is a skill in itself.

[quote name='keefbaker' timestamp='1454928500' post='2974174']
Sometimes simple is the right thing to do, sometimes complex is the right thing to do. Half the time self-restraint is the real power of bass players IMO.
[/quote]
Absolutely right!

I love U2. Granted, today they are a parody of themselves but people forget, 85-93 they released some utterly incredible albums and that is what made then so big in the process! Joshua Tree is still a top 5/10 album of all time for me. No problem with Adam Clayton at all, he plays exactly what his band demands.

Edited by 40hz

Might not be the most difficult bassline in the world, but New Years Day is a great one nonetheless. I think AC has the common sense to realise just how good both his guitarist and vocalist are, so writes his lines accordingly.

Strange really how Cliff Williams of AC/DC does the same yet doesn`t receive anything like the hatred that Adam Clayton does - I should point out here I think Cliff Williams is an awesome bassist, not having a pop at him at all.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1454931896' post='2974230']
Might not be the most difficult bassline in the world, but New Years Day is a great one nonetheless. I think AC has the common sense to realise just how good both his
[/quote]
It's what made me pick up a bass, along with jamerson

Adam Clayton is a great player, because he is perfect for his band and because he has launched the careers and hobbies of many bass players.

Greatness isn't about how many notes you can play or how many scales or modes you can fit into a song.

Any numbers of us can overplay in a U2 number. AC doesn't that puts him a cut above the naysayers.

The first 3 albums have some cool lines on too - bits of high register noodling to fill in for the sparse lead guitar sound.

And agree: most non-musical listeners probably wouldn't know how right a bass line for a band like AC/DC or U2 is until you turn it off.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1454931896' post='2974230']
Strange really how Cliff Williams of AC/DC does the same yet doesn`t receive anything like the hatred that Adam Clayton does - I should point out here I think Cliff Williams is an awesome bassist, not having a pop at him at all.
[/quote]
Before I got to this comment, I was thinking the very same.
AC has more creative basslines on any one album than all CW's AC/DC basslines put together. I'm not slating CW either, he does what's needed (but he is a plodder :P ).

Occasionally I play with a guitarist who does some ZZ Top numbers. You should see the look of joy on his face when he gets my single note bass lines as opposed to the "over played" lines of his bass player.

When that type of bass line is played in the right place no other will work half as well.

[quote name='Prosebass' timestamp='1454928747' post='2974178']
When it comes to U2, Mr Clayton is not the problem.
[/quote]

+1.

U2 are not to my taste, and to be honest neither is Mr Claytons playing etc. etc.
Long story short he's in a band with bono. All things considered he's quite well loved & respected.
And he's got a nice little nest egg for his trouble!

As a rule, I tend to think that any sneering aimed at a famous / wealthy / successful musician usually has a large dose of jealousy included. It can be sneering at playing, miming, performance or complaints about the pressures of life when famous or any of a myriad of topics, but jealousy is usually in there somewhere.

I'm big enough to admit that I have been guilty of it in the past, but these days I wish them all luck. Well, maybe not Bono. ;)