Why become a member? ×

Flightcasing your gear.

AlpherMako4

Hello dear Basschatters. I'm considering getting a flightcase to house my supertwin cab and rackmounted amp and possibly a rack tuner all in one. For two reasons really.
1- the obvious one, it's all in one place ready to go. But possibly a bit heavy and cumbersome. But with wheels on, fairly simple to manoeuvre.
2- I'm a joiner, with a very dusty workshop. If it's all cased up it will remain clean and dust free.

What do you guys think? Obviously my lightweight rig suddenly changes tack. But do the pros outweigh the cons?
I'm interested to hear your thoughts and experiences. Thanks

Will you be flying with your gear? If not, just buy some padded covers.

Flight cases are a terrible idea unless your gear literally lives on the road getting carted about day to day. Otherwise, it costs a fortune, you'll never be able to sell it on and is incredibly bulky.

Because of the weight of the flight case, you won't be able to carry it if you come across soft ground which means you'll need to take it out of the case, leave the case in the car and then dick about putting it all back in at the end of the night.

Padded covers are cheaper, they fold away, are lighter, just as smart and offer enough protection.

Yonks back, I had a Trace pre and Peavey CS-1000 power amp, racked up in a box of my own making. Even with the cabs separate, it were fookin' ridiculous! :-D
How do you transport your gear, rather than keep it? Unless it gets wheeled up a ramp into a van and back out onto an easy access stage, keep it portable!
All IMHO..

Racks are mansgeable but unless you are flying or putting your gear into a boarded out van (with loading ramp) go padded cases...

Says the man with a flightcased Fender Twin.

Even with a van, you've still got to get it into the venue...

...which no doubt has lots of stairs.

Nobody needs flightcases to play The Tickled Trout.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1454959824' post='2974646']
Racks are mansgeable but unless you are flying or putting your gear into a boarded out van (with loading ramp) go padded cases...

Says the man with a flightcased Fender Twin.

Even with a van, you've still got to get it into the venue...

...which no doubt has lots of stairs.

Nobody needs flightcases to play The Tickled Trout.
[/quote]But what if the Tickled Trout has flightcased D&B monitors being wheeled in by a bloke with fancy strides on?

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1454961932' post='2974669']
Well, that's just another kettle of fish.
[/quote]Well I've been spectating and not participating (as per usual) , and I doubt I'll be able to think of an unused fish pun , coming into the game this late ; but maybe placing the cases in a ROE , to aid loading , is the best I can do

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1454952346' post='2974559']
......Because of the weight of the flight case, you won't be able to carry it if you come across soft ground which means you'll need to take it out of the case, leave the case in the car and then dick about putting it all back in at the end of the night.

Padded covers are cheaper, they fold away, are lighter, just as smart and offer enough protection.
[/quote]

[quote name='4stringslow' timestamp='1454955403' post='2974599']
Flight cases may well protect your gear but have you seen the damage they can inflict on cars, vans, doors, walls and anything they come into contact with? That may not be a problem, but it should be a consideration.
[/quote]

Even with a van you will need a loading ramp. So, unless you are a professional touring bassist with road crew and suitable transport the reasons why not are above.

Edited by 3below