Why become a member? ×

Playing EUB on a stand

lowlandtrees

So I have been playing my Kania upright for around three years now. I find it difficult to balance especially when bowing the low E. There is no weight or real substance to it so some things I struggle with as it tend to twist away from your body.....like everything that you learn

Anyway I remember that some EUBs are are mounted on a stand or support.....so I put the Kania on its stand and adjust it to playing position and suddenly it is just so much easier to bow and fingering is a dream. The type of stand it is....with neck support means that you cant access the top notes.
Anyway....is this regarded as a kindof amateur way to proceed?

I don t envisage getting enough funds in the near future to afford a full size real thing so was thinking along the lines of a different type of stand that would give me access to the top of the fretboard.
Btw ..I still like the Kania a lot for other things like portability and the amplified sound is good.

I think there are some who would be horrified at the thought of playing your bass on a stand.
I've heard some people saying you need to "dance" or move with your bass.

However, I've had a very painful problem with my foot, which precludes standing in a fixed position for too long
So I hardly play my DB now - as it causes pain if I do it for too long :(

My EUB (Eminence) came with a stand, which allows me to play the bass while on the stand, and access most of the fingerboard quite easily. This has been a real revelation for me. Although I haven't had much time to play it lately, it does mean I can play for longer, as I can move about more. Usually, when I'm playing DB / EUB, I'm also doubling up, playing bass guitar for some songs too and the stand has really helped reduce time switching between the two, and I have more confidence, knowing the bass is secure, and won't fall etc

Indeed, had it not been for the EUB on the stand - I probably would have had to give up DB!
Perhaps it would be good practice for you, if you practiced both methods, if possible?

I did once see a "hands free" DB stand on ebay, sometime ago....

Edited by Marc S

I'm not familiar with the Kania, and not sure what fixings you have on it
But I'd thought about this previously - the Stagg I used to own had a 1/4" threaded bolt fixing socket on the back
I'm sure it would be fairly easy to adapt a Cymbal stand, to make a good hands-free EUB stand
If you could find one going second-hand, it's a low cost option - just a thought?
(EDIT: As the ebay hands free stand was quite expensive, I seem to recall)

Edited by Marc S

If you have issues with your EUB rotating, you could try something like this modified endpin which prevents unwanted rotation.
http://www.talkbass.com/threads/stagg-eub-megathread.344951/page-14#post-10319425
There are a bunch of interesting solutions to making EUBs behave more like a DB when it comes to playing them on the various megathreads.

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1455012533' post='2974921']
However, I've had a very painful problem with my foot, which precludes standing in a fixed position for too long
So I hardly play my DB now - as it causes pain if I do it for too long :(
[/quote]
Try playing sitting down instead - I started off only playing standing up, but my arco tutor has converted me to the benefits of sitting down on a lowish stool with both feet flat on the floor, it makes everything easier as the bass is completely stable with no input from either hand. Might take a little experimentation to find a seat height that works for you.

[quote name='SubsonicSimpleton' timestamp='1455015700' post='2974965']
If you have issues with your EUB rotating, you could try something like this modified endpin which prevents unwanted rotation.
[url="http://www.talkbass.com/threads/stagg-eub-megathread.344951/page-14#post-10319425"]http://www.talkbass....4#post-10319425[/url]
There are a bunch of interesting solutions to making EUBs behave more like a DB when it comes to playing them on the various megathreads.

Try playing sitting down instead - I started off only playing standing up, but my arco tutor has converted me to the benefits of sitting down on a lowish stool with both feet flat on the floor, it makes everything easier as the bass is completely stable with no input from either hand. Might take a little experimentation to find a seat height that works for you.
[/quote]

Thanks for the link to that endpin - a useful idea / adaptation :)

And yes, I have tried sitting. Last gig I did with DB was sitting, but it wasn't the most comfortable feeling, somehow....
I suppose it's a question of getting used to it really. But my intonation was definitely out a little.
Sadly, I can't get a stool into my (home) rehearsal space.
ideally, I'd like to be able to do both - eventually

Edited by Marc S

When I were a lad, learning DB in the early 80's, everyone - genuinely everyone - who sat down to play used a high stool and had right foot on the floor, right leg straight. When did the trend for lower stools and a "cello" type position start? I really can't get on with it, but maybe it's just me being old-fashioned...

This thread has a bunch of interesting discussion and information about sitting positions
http://www.talkbass.com/threads/finding-a-comfortable-seated-position.1153835/

I just looked at a load of different players and tried their approaches to see what was most comfortable and efficient for my bass and body mechanics. I'm not sure exactly when it started, but most musical institutions at some point introduced alexander technique, and training musicians to avoid work related injury as part of their education programs.

The modified end pin looks like a good idea. I don t intend to use the stand as anything but a stop gap practice thing. While trying to stop the EUB spinning I find that I am missing a lot of important finger stuff. As said my eventual aim is to get a real DB but that is an investment (which I would make if there was a band on the go)/

I made a stand for my Stagg EUB and play, standing, with it fitted but I not sure you could use the same idea for your bass.
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/6749-stagg/page__st__540__p__2727377#entry2727377"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/6749-stagg/page__st__540__p__2727377#entry2727377[/url]

I don't know whether this helps but I played a rental stick on a two week residency. It had a rubber cap on its end pin. I found a rubber mat to stand it on and found it quite easy to pizz. I didn't bow though.

I had a Steinberger for a while on a fixed stand and didn't enjoy the restriction after the mobility of a double bass.