Why become a member? ×

Practice Rooms in Cambridge?

RichBowman

Hi everyone....

Apologies if this is wrong section of the forum - Mods, feel free to shift it to the appropriate place - but does anyone know any practice /rehearsal rooms in Cambridge? The only one I can find is 'The Lock Up' - But some of my other band mates don't want to go there :)

Cheers in advance!

Rich

*Nuts - Just noticed this is totally the wrong section! Doh! Sorry - Hopefully I'll be shifted to the relevant one! Cheers - Rich

Edited by RichBowman

Cheers Guys,

I'll have a hunt around - I've not checked on Cambridgebands for a while, it didn't seem to be working last time I tried - I'll have another go.

Town area would be good, PA and Drums would be superb (I'm the only one with transport....) as the others are somewhat lethargic about getting about the place. I think the Lock in seemed the best bet, sa it had everything, but they (other band members) weren't too keen on hiring it for a minimum of 4 hours and paying £7 an hour (I actually don't think it's that bad a rate - especially when beggars can't be choosers.....)

Cheers again,

Rich

I'm amazed the lockup is still going We used it years ago and it was a tip then. Loads of stories of nicked car hi fi and dodgy substances being dealt in thr car park. Allegedly!
Cambridge centre is a sad place for rehearsal spaces. There used to be a small place called Flightpath studios on newmarket Road and that's about it I'm afraid. I've also used the place mentioned above near RAF whyton in the back of beyond; converted packing case type rooms but still better than the lockup. PA and drums quite good.
we also used a place called The Warehouse in fulbourn.
i now live in saffron Walden and rehearse with my band in either Harlow or Chelmsford.

sorry I don't know of anywhere else
Good luck!

[quote name='lonestar' post='33335' date='Jul 17 2007, 10:52 PM']I'm amazed the lockup is still going We used it years ago and it was a tip then. Loads of stories of nicked car hi fi and dodgy substances being dealt in thr car park. Allegedly!
Cambridge centre is a sad place for rehearsal spaces. There used to be a small place called Flightpath studios on newmarket Road and that's about it I'm afraid. I've also used the place mentioned above near RAF whyton in the back of beyond; converted packing case type rooms but still better than the lockup. PA and drums quite good.
we also used a place called The Warehouse in fulbourn.
i now live in saffron Walden and rehearse with my band in either Harlow or Chelmsford.

sorry I don't know of anywhere else
Good luck![/quote]

Yup we use the place in Wyton occasionally too - it's handy as it's central for us, but a bit out of the way for you guys. Have you tried The Portland and Man in the Moon for nights when they've not got bands on?

Cheers guys, thanks for all your comments!

I've practised (and played) at RAF Wyton too, and we used to have a regular practice ((and occasional gig) at The Sun, if any of you have frequented there - Though that was all with my other band that was based in Huntingdon.

What band are you in Muppet? I might have heard of you lot!

Cheers,

Rich

[quote name='Muppet' post='33919' date='Jul 18 2007, 11:47 PM']Three bands Rich, The Brackets out of Peterborough, Burlesque (!) out of Huntingdon and Bottled Out sort of Cambridge/St Ives based.

I'm not at home a lot :)[/quote]

Hi muppet. i have occasionally depped for Bottled out too, being good friends of Alan & Julie.
Small world!

Cool - I'll keep and eye out for you - Where do you gig? I've not played in Huntingdon (with my band called Sushi)for a year or so (maybe more) but the remnants of the band are starting to do some acoustic type shenanigans that they want me involved in - should be good fun.

Do you know/ have you heard of Jakobi by any chance?

Cheers,

Rich

All over mate. Covers band normally plays from Huntingdon up to and around Peterborough, but the Brackets - we'll play anywhere. In Cambridge it's the regular places, The Moon, Portland, Loft, but lots in Peterborough and beyond. Jakobi rings a bell but not a very loud one!

Lonestar - I reckon they have loads of bass players! Been up at Wyton tonight infact with them. I'll mention you to them next week.

Cool - I'll defo keep an eye out for you in Cambridge, I'll pop in and say hi next time you're about. Drop me a line if you've got anything on and I'll try and get along.

Cheers,

Rich

P.S. You don't know any drummers available in Huntingdon/ St. Ives do you...? :-)

I used to rehearse at the Warehouse - it's a shame it's gone, that place was fantastic! No facilities to speak of beyond a crappy little kitchen, but huge space with a really good live sound.

The Lock Up is still going apparently, though I haven't been there for a couple of years. And I did wonder if my car would still be there at the end of the rehearsal...

Currently I'm hearing recommendations for Mulletboy's new rehearsal space:
[url="http://www.mulletboyproductions.com/"]http://www.mulletboyproductions.com/[/url]
Not tried it myself, though.

[quote name='funkysimon' post='34516' date='Jul 20 2007, 10:49 AM']I used to rehearse at the Warehouse - it's a shame it's gone, that place was fantastic! No facilities to speak of beyond a crappy little kitchen, but huge space with a really good live sound.

The Lock Up is still going apparently, though I haven't been there for a couple of years. And I did wonder if my car would still be there at the end of the rehearsal...

Currently I'm hearing recommendations for Mulletboy's new rehearsal space:
[url="http://www.mulletboyproductions.com/"]http://www.mulletboyproductions.com/[/url]
Not tried it myself, though.[/quote]

Ah, now that might be handy, and if it's as good as it sounds......

Warehouse, twas a laugh there. Just ensure you went to the loo before you got there. :)

No way! Small world, and all that :)

If you saw Casa and the bassist was really good, then that was probably our old bassist... if you saw Casa and the guitarist was really good, that probably meant I was on bass :huh:

Maybe I'll catch one of your gigs around town, or vice versa! It looks like we have some sort of Cambridge basschat possee in the making.

• 4 weeks later...

The more the merrier!

perhaps we should have a little Cambridge/ East Eangland get together, Dan's not too far away in Norwich, then there at least Mike in Witham that I know of in the area.

Cheers

Rich

[quote name='lonestar' post='46648' date='Aug 16 2007, 10:42 PM']Can I join too although I'm in Saffron Walden rather than Cambridge now??!!

Mike[/quote]