Why become a member? ×

Two combos...

BrunoBass

I use a TC Electronic 250 watt combo with a 15" speaker, which I'm fairly pleased with. I wouldn't mind a bit more punch (and power) so I thought about moving the combo on and getting a head and a 2×10 cabinet. But then I thought why not get a 2x10 combo and run them side by side?
Does anyone else share my way of thinking and run two combos together? What are the advantages or disadvantages over running a single head with two cabs?

Can you not just get an extension cab for the combo? I suppose it depends on the specific model.
I'd say getting a head & 2x10 wouldn't necessarily give you more punch/power/whatever - it would depend on the head & cab.
The benefits of head plus two cabs is that they're lighter than two combos and gives you more options of upgrades/changes.

But saying all that, after EBS_Freak's post I'd say four combos is the only logical option really :-)

You cant add an extension speaker to the BG as it runs at 4 ohm with the internal speaker. I run a MAG 300 head into 2 x MI 12" cabs for larger pubs and 1 cab for small places. Its a handy set up for me.

Never tried 2 combos running at the same time but would be interested in the result.

Years ago I used to run an old Roland Cube 60 (the orangey ones) with my Sessionette guitar amp sat on top of it.
Turned the bass down a bit on the guitar amp. Quite a clean but aggressive sounding setup and seemed plenty loud. Those Sessionettes are pretty much indestructible.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='ebenezer' timestamp='1455030634' post='2975194']
I think this is a great idea! you could eq the 15 combo to deal with the lower frequency and eq the 210 for mid and
above....a basic bi-amp system if you like and better than just adding a 210 cab!!
[/quote]That would make sense if a 1x15 and 2x10 had dissimilar response, but they don't. For what you suggest a 1x10 guitar combo atop the 1x15 combo would work better. For what the OP suggests adding a 1x15 extension cab would be best, and a lot less expensive than a second combo.

I have the same amp, and as mentioned above you can't add another cab as it's running at 4ohms already.

Oh, and you'd have to use the DI out into the instrument in of the second combo - iirc they don't have an fx loop so your sound would be affected by the eq of the second amp.

Edited by Jakester