Why become a member? ×

Chowny bass

Guinness21

I know there are a few threads about these basses on here already, so apologies for any deja-vu you might experience :blink:

With the CHB-2 coming out (with the 34' neck and heavier body so no neck dive) I'm sorely tempted. I'm properly excited about this bass, and without meaning to offend anyone am I more excited than I should be? Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of things about this bass to be excited about - it looks great, sounds great and the price is great - but is there something about this bass's sound that sets it apart from all other hollowbody basses out there... or is it just a nice bass and do I have a really bad case of GAS?

THREAD HIJACK!

If you guys are at the London Bass Guitar Show we will be selling CHB-1's on the day (provided you are right handed!), with a free £49 gig bag, so you can saunter out with your very own. Plus we have a CHB-1 lefty and a CHB-2 (righty) prototype to try. So if you're gonna be there it might help make your mind up.

[quote name='Chownybass' timestamp='1455033238' post='2975231']
THREAD HIJACK!

If you guys are at the London Bass Guitar Show we will be selling CHB-1's on the day (provided you are right handed!), with a free £49 gig bag, so you can saunter out with your very own. Plus we have a CHB-1 lefty and a CHB-2 (righty) prototype to try. So if you're gonna be there it might help make your mind up.
[/quote]

Hahaha! Unfortunately I won't, it's a big trek for me. I think I'm more interested in the CHB-2 due to the scale.

[quote name='Guinness21' timestamp='1455099495' post='2975782']
Are the pickups in these basses similar sounding to anything else, like the Gretsch Electromatic or Hagstrom Viking?
[/quote]

Soundwise - everybody tends to lean towards saying they are like Hofner.

There's lots of stuff on our soundcloud, and on youtube if you search for "Chowny Bass". The CHB-1 and CHB-2 use exactly the same hardware.

[quote name='Chownybass' timestamp='1455130783' post='2976298']
Soundwise - everybody tends to lean towards saying they are like Hofner.

There's lots of stuff on our soundcloud, and on youtube if you search for "Chowny Bass". The CHB-1 and CHB-2 use exactly the same hardware.
[/quote]

Like Hofner? Good to know, thanks

[quote name='Guinness21' timestamp='1455197440' post='2976927']
Like Hofner? Good to know, thanks
[/quote]

That's what I've been told. Personally I like to think they sound like "Chowny Basses". They definitely have a distinctive tone.

The Great British Bass Lounge have a short-scale one if you fancy playing one? That's relatively close to you isn't it? It'll give you a good idea of sound and quality.

[quote name='keefbaker' timestamp='1455197837' post='2976932']
I really like the sound and if you had a fretless model I'd probably snap your hand off at the bass show.
[/quote]

One of the benefits of being a small business is we could consider making you one to order. :) Come and check them out at the show, and if you like the quality, we can come to some sort of arrangement ;-)

- Stephen

[quote name='Chownybass' timestamp='1455197968' post='2976936']
One of the benefits of being a small business is we could consider making you one to order. :) Come and check them out at the show, and if you like the quality, we can come to some sort of arrangement ;-)

- Stephen
[/quote]

Will do.

[quote name='Chownybass' timestamp='1455197883' post='2976933']
That's what I've been told. Personally I like to think they sound like "Chowny Basses". They definitely have a distinctive tone.
[/quote]
It's the variety of tones available that gets me. There's even a video of a guy slapping it on the website, and it sounds great. It's not just a one-trick woofy Hofneralike, faaar from it, although it'll do that if it's what you're after.
Sorry if I'm coming across like an advert here :D but I really like these instruments. Especially the blue :lol:

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1455361602' post='2978377']
It's the variety of tones available that gets me. There's even a video of a guy slapping it on the website, and it sounds great. It's not just a one-trick woofy Hofneralike, faaar from it, although it'll do that if it's what you're after.
Sorry if I'm coming across like an advert here :D but I really like these instruments. Especially the blue :lol:
[/quote]

It was the variety that got e excited too. I was wondering whether there was something specific about it that made it sound so good in different settings, or if it was just GAS influencing my ears