Why become a member? ×

Do I really need a mixer???

Westie9

Folks,

I'm scratching my head with this one....

I've been reading that an audio interface could replace a mixer in modern studio set-ups. How???

My set-up consists of three hardware keyboards connecting via a MIDI interface into my MacBook Pro running Logic X. Do I take the stereo L&R from each keyboard into the back of the audio interface and then use the interface as a mixer? All the keyboards run through a MIDI interface though??? Say I wanted to add a jack input for the tunes on my phone etc?

If I'm missing something entirely or haven't a clue what I'm talking about, please advise....

Yep, as above.

I've long been toying with the idea of buying a hardware mixer, often lusting after things like the [url="http://www.allen-heath.com/ahproducts/zed-r16/"]Allen & Heath ZED R-16[/url].

But... it would be pretty much redundant, for me at least. I can do everything that a hardware mixer can achieve via software: quicker, easier, with instant recall, etc, etc. The only thing I can't do with software is easily connect any hardware devices; compressors and the like. But I don't own any - and have software that does the same job to as-near-as-dammit the same quality (sufficient that I'd wager nobody could [i]really[/i] tell the difference with any consistency).

So for me, the era of lovely hardware devices has passed by. I'd love some sliders and knobs to play with [i](oo-err)[/i], but I really don't [i]need[/i] them.

And I'd wager that in time, you won't [i]need[/i] your hardware synths either - you'll have one controller keyboard to "rule them all". But that's another discussion for another day ;)

Edited by Skol303