Why become a member? ×

PA speaker stands. Good, fairly cheap and lightweight?

dave_bass5

Is the above possible? Looking to replace some old Studio spares stands that have all but fallen apart.
Not looking to spend much, hopefully under £50 the pair. They only need ot support some Peavy Hi Sys 1x 15 passive speakers.

Ive looked on Amazon and Thomanns, seen loads, but wanted to get some personal recommendations if possible.

Cheers.

Edited by dave_bass5

I love Quiklok stands. Great compromise between cost and performance. I have a pair that I've owned for about 8 years. No problems with them at all and they still look well alright.

I also use Quiklok mic stands too and never had any problems with any of them ever in about 5 years of solid use.

Don't get me wrong, brands like Hercules and Konig and Meyer make better stands, but they cost a lot more.

We used to have a pair off Quicklok stands, and yes, they were great. In fact I couldn't faultt them at the time, but they did fall apart after a few years. This was more than likely down to bad treatment from the guy who used to take them though.
I think they are just a bit out of my price range though. I'm having to buy these off my own back (the band think the existing ones are good for another few years) so £50-ish is really the top end of my budget.

EDIT: Meant to say I'm talking about the SP180's as being the ones we had and the ones that are just out of my budget.

Edited by dave_bass5

Proel - they do air damped and non air damped look exactly the same, but I would go for the air assisted it allows you to pull the pin and the weight of the cab to push down so you can lift the cab off easier at the end of the night. but maybe £50 v £70 I have two sets the oldest now about twenty years no probs, my son has the non air set for his disco and not as well constructed.

Cheers. i had some of those air damped Proel stands years ago. Very nice stands. I do feel the extra cost for air dampening isnt something i want to pay for, as we get by without it already.

Im thinking about these from Thomanns, or maybe the Quick-Lok SP171 set.
http://www.thomann.de/gb/millenium_bs2222_pro_set.htm

I have a Stairville stand that came from Thomann, think that's an in-house brand. It's actually primarily for lights but would be OK as a speaker stand too. Can't fault the quality, it's a lot better than the garbage aluminium jobs that were supplied with the lights. If one of your choices at Thomann is Stairville then I can vouch for the general build quality.

Thanks. I'll look in to those.
While I agree with the buy cheap buy twice comment for some things, I've had both Proel and Qucik-lok over the past 13 years. Not cheap stands really, yet the Studio Spares stands have lasted just as long.
I believe it's down to how you look after them, not how much you pay,, and I do ab it they haven't been well looked after.
None the less, the stands themselves still work fine,, it's just a bit of a pain setting them up as the parts that are supposed to lock don't anymore. We just use Allen keys through the holes in the top poles.
Let's face it, we are talking about metal tubes with plastic bits on them. Hardly high tech stuff. If I was in a pro touring band I'd spend more (or get the band to spend more), but I'm only doing the occasional gig these days, and I can't see why a £50 set of stands wouldn't be more than good enough.

Right, I've narrowed it down to a set of Proel's.
These
http://www.visiosound.co.uk/stands-cases-c11/speaker-stands-c60/proel-adjustable-steel-tripod-pa-speaker-stands-2pack-p1452

Or these
http://www.visiosound.co.uk/stands-cases-c11/speaker-stands-c60/proel-adjustable-aluminium-tripod-pa-speaker-stands-2pack-p199

Now, height aside I can't see a really difference between the two, other than the Aluminium ones are over half as light. I can't figure out why the sturdier stands are rated to hold half what the lightweight stands hold.

Our current stands are 4KG so the first are heavier and the second much lighter.

Thoughts?