Why become a member? ×

NCD - New Combo Day: Fender Rumble 500 V3

discreet

ha ha , twin-cam , that's exactly what I'm considering I have a Trace SMX GP 7 combo which is 300 watts or 500 with the 15 inch expansion cab ... i'd been looking into gettin a class D head such as a TC or perhaps even Orange bass terror . I love my trace but its old and as heavy as plutonium , I do like the tone and i like the fact that i can pretty much treat it like dirt / not worry about It living at the cold studio but yet still rely on it to do what it needs to to on stage.

Also 300 watts of trace as we well know is not 300 watts in other peoples money ;-).

Someone should really organise some form of event where ... people could bring there things and repsective basschatters could try differnt amps and instruments , perhaps hosted in a school or other location ...
;-) .... what would be a good name for such an event .... bass boogie .... bass bring and buy ... maybe bass bash ;-)

Edited by synthaside

[quote name='synthaside' timestamp='1455184967' post='2976709']
ha ha , twin-cam , that's exactly what I'm considering I have a Trace SMX GP 7 combo which is 300 watts or 500 with the 15 inch expansion cab ... i'd been looking into gettin a class D head such as a TC or perhaps even Orange bass terror . I love my trace but its old and as heavy as plutonium , I do like the tone and i like the fact that i can pretty much treat it like dirt / not worry about It living at the cold studio but yet still rely on it to do what it needs to to on stage.

Also 300 watts of trace as we well know is not 300 watts in other peoples money ;-).

Someone should really organise some form of event where ... people could bring there things and repsective basschatters could try differnt amps and instruments , perhaps hosted in a school or other location ...
;-) .... what would be a good name for such an event .... bass boogie .... bass bring and buy ... maybe bass bash ;-)
[/quote]

Many moons ago I used to run a TE 300w GP12 410 combo with a 15" extension and play at silly volumes( 2 guitars with Marshall 410 stacks on full tilt) the thing kicked like a mule , you could somehow always feel the bass but not always hear it (if that makes sense)? The Rumble 500 with the 210 extension goes louder than anything I will ever need these days and seems to have more clarity and definition ... Simple to use and easy to get a good sound out of, unlike the trace that I never stopped fiddling with and even after 10 years or more with it could never get the sound I wanted out of it.. Played with a Warwick Streamer, Wal and Ibanez Blazer in those days. Would I go back to a trace, even if someone else was carrying it, no way lol.

I have a 300W Trace Elliot amp. AH300-SMX-12. Mounted into an ABS rack case it weighs around 12kg - similar weight to my BF Supercompact,. so makes carrying both at the same time quite balanced. It is 300W into 4Ohms and louder, with greater heft, than the TC Electronic RH750 or Little Mark Tube 800 I was using.

It is so good I bought a second to use as back up and, once a few niggles have been sorted, i think it sounds even better and is a touch lighter - out of its wooden box.

Still tempted by one of these, though...

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1455092302' post='2975702']
Great review as ever, it looks the business...
[/quote]
[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1455103741' post='2975841']
Excellent review as ever discreet...
[/quote]
[quote name='No lust in Jazz' timestamp='1455119251' post='2976125']
I really enjoyed reading your review...
[/quote]
[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1455126099' post='2976227']
Great review, Mark, as usual...
[/quote]

Thanks for the kind comments, folks... I'm definitely a combo-convert now. Just think, a whole new realm of GAS is open to me! Though maybe that's not such a great thing after all... my debit card is in tatters. :blink:

I have a suspicion that the Rumble 100 would actually be sufficient for my current band, but it's always good to have the extra on tap if necessary... isn't it..? :huh:

Edited by discreet

[quote name='synthaside' timestamp='1455184967' post='2976709']

[/quote]

That's the thing with old trace stuff it's very reliable (normally) especially considering its gigging gear so they are normally left in the cold, thrown around a bit and used at high volumes for years and years most stuff is pre 2000's and much older and still going strong. There also fairly cheap so if something goes wrong or stolen even its not a huge loss.

Time will tell if today's equipment will be up to that challenge.

The rumble v3's certainly are very good though.

[quote name='Me And My Bass' timestamp='1455112567' post='2976006']
Anyone played one of these with an extension cab other than a fender one?
Tempted by the SWR 18" on sale here, placed under one of the rumbles.
[/quote]I use a TE 1 x 15 (weighs 26kg so not too bad, and TE handles are excellent) under the Rumble 500, exactly the same width so looks neat, and more rock and roll than an angled stand I was using, I've only used it once, it did give a lot more headroom, I've never run out of volume without the ext cab but have been close. (our drummers a bit of an animal).
I too have a 300 watt Trace Elliot combo and the Rumble is not as loud as that (Trace Elliot watts are twice as loud as anybody else's), but it's just too bloody heavy to cart around

Edited by PaulWarning

I've been using mine for just over the last year now and have considered buying the 200w version as some smaller gigs I struggle to get the volume low enough while still getting a good sound, that's how loud they are. I have the input gain at 2 and the main volume at 3.5 and that's also with all of the EQ set at it's lowest point and then turning up from there to suit the room.

I thought it sounded good with my Yamaha BB1025 but with the Stingray it's absolutely incredible.

[url="http://s927.photobucket.com/user/Delberthot/media/20150718_202306_zpstvamlu0g.jpg.html"][/url]

Edited by Delberthot

Fender really have done a great job with the V3 Rumble series. The 500 combo is very loud for a 210 and has a great tone, it's very difficult to make it sound bad. The overdrive circuit can add some lovely harmonics but doesn't make you sound like you've turned into a metal guitarist. It's quite a small cabinet and very light. It must be seriously loud with an extension cab. If I were to go back to a combo then this is what I'd buy, i just really like its tone.

I've got the rumble 500 head and a rumble 112 cab (v2). Have to say it serves my needs very well and if I needed to replace I'd probably get the same thing (maybe the 115 v3 cab though). These days I don't use the overdrive or shaping buttons at the pre-amp. I also keep the eq flat. That said I always have a chorus and overdrive pedal on every song. The two things I missed going from my old amp to the rumble are a mute switch and clipping light for the gain. This doesn't bother me at all now I'm used to the amp and I have a tuner pedal I can use to mute the signal.

Great choice.

[quote name='Delberthot' timestamp='1455359531' post='2978366']
[url="http://s927.photobucket.com/user/Delberthot/media/20150718_202306_zpstvamlu0g.jpg.html"][/url]
[/quote]

May I ask where you got the stand? Is it heavy? Does it fold down small? Thanks. :)

Edited by discreet

Second gig with a Rumble 500 Combo tonight, the first one with my own Rumble 500 Combo... a small club in North London. Hopefully it won't be full of Valentine's Day couples arguing... ;) Will post a short review and autopsy tomorrow.

Edited by discreet

I've played through a 100w version a few times, at a venue my band regularly play at. It's pretty loud and incredibly light. I played through the 500w combo (at low volumes) and it was almost as light as the 100w version (ie you can pick it up with one finger type of light).

Second gig with the Rumble this evening. It's great to turn up and be ready to play in less than two minutes. I didn't need the master any higher than 9 o'clock. It really is a loud amp. Everyone (including me) could hear what I was doing, I got complimented on my sound, we went down well, and joy! I was packed up and ready to go in less time than it took to set up. :) Bass and combo in the car and I'm gone.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1455488276' post='2979607']
I played through the 500w combo and it was almost as light as the 100w version (ie you can pick it up with one finger type of light).
[/quote]

It [i]is[/i] very light (36lb/16.3kg) considering its size and the kind of tone and volume it's capable of, but I wouldn't want to walk more than about 100 yards carrying it. I can imagine it becoming quite a burden if you had to walk a mile with it. Though why you should ever want to do that, I don't know. The 500 isn't light enough to be convenient for public transport, IMHO. Great in the car though, I can get everything in the boot out of sight of the sticky-fingered public. The 100 might be OK for the bus.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1455388258' post='2978737']
May I ask where you got the stand? Is it heavy? Does it fold down small? Thanks. :)
[/quote]

+1

Looking for something to replace my modified work platform thing. This looks like a Stagg but there's a couple of models out there & I've wondered how robust they are.

Great choice, Mr. Discreet!

I've had my 500 for a year now - at gigs I always take my 115 cab as well!

I was a Markbass user for some years before switching to these, and I love them to bits. My tone was never to my liking - always a little 'sterile' with the MB gear. However, the Fender tone is just amazing - and I'm playing 1970's Ricky's into them.

If you love the 500 tone, the 115 cab just gives it a little more of a rounded push. It's more to carry, but it looks great stacked up!

I even bought the Rumble 40 as well, which I use for practice. It's got some push - went for over the 25 as it's a fair bit lighter, and the layout is the same as the 500, so I can achieve 'my' tone at all times.

I know of another bassist locally who was taken with mine, and soon bought a 500 (plus a 112). They are indeed excellent products, and I can't say enough good things about them.

.....and they look [i]uber[/i]-cool! :lol:

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1455557613' post='2980207']
Don't know why it's come out sideways, but you get the idea of the stacked Rumbles.....! :o
[/quote]

Arrrrrghhhhh!! OCD! OCD!! stacked cabinets of different sizes!! *Puff, pant* ;)
At least the logos match and are parallel. Phew!

I can just imagine how that rig sounds with a Ric - lush, with a great big hefty twang.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1455558024' post='2980212']
Arrrrrghhhhh!! OCD! OCD!! stacked cabinets of different sizes!! *Puff, pant* ;)
At least the logos match and are parallel. Phew!

I can just imagine how that rig sounds with a Ric - lush, with a great big hefty twang.
[/quote]

Indeed it does! Bags of 70's trebly Ricky goodness....not like the modern ones (I'll quit before I start to rant.....!) :ph34r:

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1455557246' post='2980200']
Great choice, Mr. Discreet!

I've had my 500 for a year now - at gigs I always take my 115 cab as well!

I was a Markbass user for some years before switching to these, and I love them to bits. My tone was never to my liking - always a little 'sterile' with the MB gear. However, the Fender tone is just amazing - and I'm playing 1970's Ricky's into them.

If you love the 500 tone, the 115 cab just gives it a little more of a rounded push. It's more to carry, but it looks great stacked up!

I even bought the Rumble 40 as well, which I use for practice. It's got some push - went for over the 25 as it's a fair bit lighter, and the layout is the same as the 500, so I can achieve 'my' tone at all times.

I know of another bassist locally who was taken with mine, and soon bought a 500 (plus a 112). They are indeed excellent products, and I can't say enough good things about them.

.....and they look [i]uber[/i]-cool! :lol:
[/quote]

How light is the Rumble 15" man? actually, how much are they as well? lol