Why become a member? ×

NCD - New Combo Day: Fender Rumble 500 V3

discreet

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][b]NCD - New Combo Day: Fender Rumble 500 V3[/b]

Model: Fender Rumble™ 500 (V3) Combo
Amplifier: SS/Class-D
Colour: Black and Silver
Controls: Gain, Bright/Contour/Vintage Presets, Drive/Level, Bass, Low-Mid, High-Mid, Treble, Master
Effects Loop: 1/4" - (Send/Return)
Inputs: 1/4" Jack; [/font][/size][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Aux In 3.5mm Stereo[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]; 1/4" Overdrive Footswitch (not included)[/font]
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Outputs: XLR with Ground Lift; Headphones 3.5mm Stereo[/font][/size]
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Voltage: 230V UK/EUR
Wattage: 500W RMS @ 4 ohms (with Ext Cab), 350W RMS @ 8 ohms (Internal)
Speakers: 2 X 10" Eminence Ceramic Magnet, Compression Tweeter, Twin Ports, Cloth Grille (removable)
Cab Material: 12mm Baltic Ply, Black Tolex, Chrome-Nickel Corner Protectors
Handle: Moulded Plastic Strap with Chrome-Nickel Plated Caps
Controls: Vintage-Style Radio
Dimensions: 23" X 19" X 14" (59 X 49 X 36cm) HWD
Weight: 36lbs (16.3kg)

I have never had GAS for a combo. I was put off them years ago by a less-than-great combo that was terrible, farted out before it got anywhere near loud enough and was very heavy. Just couldn't see the point. Since then I have considered combos to be somehow amateur and undesirable. Wrong! Now read on...

Did a gig last week at which the supplied back line bass amp was a Fender Rumble V3 500 Combo. I was not best pleased. I plugged in, set everything as flat as it would go, wound it up and hoped for the best.

It turned out to be a great amp and I was pleasantly surprised by it. I had in fact already read rave reviews of it both here and elsewhere (which I generally ignore), but even so I was quite shocked by the huge heft, clarity and punch on tap. I've owned quite a few amps and cabs now, including some fairly high-end gear, thus I'm quite used to hearing big sounds come out of small boxes, but this was a [i]big [/i]big sound...

Turns out I had done the right thing. All you need do is set everything flat, plug in, switch on, and there it is - that great bass sound you have in your head. And the louder you turn it up, the more natural compression you seem to get - everything gets tighter and punchier somehow - just like an all-valve amp. It's very warm-sounding and organic, and it's difficult to get a bad sound out of (it also has 3.5mm sockets for Aux In and Headphones, both stereo, for silent practise - bonus).

I was that impressed I acquired my own Rumble 500 ASAP and I'm really pleased with it. I got it primarily for its sound, but also [i]finally [/i]I get why combos are so popular... no messing with amp heads and their associated cabling, just one small box to lift. As it's plug and play no FX or preamps are necessary either, so forget those ancilliary cables and power supplies too.

Build quality is frankly not as good as you'd expect from say, Aguilar, Genz or Markbass (for example). The box seems a bit flimsy - though it is 12mm ply and is not - and I get the impression some of the components are not exactly what you'd call 'premium'... furthermore, the Tolex seems quite thin. [/font][/size][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]I think the plastic control knobs would probably break if hit hard enough or had something fairly heavy dropped on them. [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]The 'F' logo is a cheap plastic job. [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Plus, there are reports of reliability issues both here and elsewhere. [/font]

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]BUT..! How would you otherwise make this box so light and so affordable?? I think Fender have got it right this time - for their target demographic. The Class-D amp sounds excellent and even though you're getting 'only' 350W maximum without an extension cab, this combo easily handles medium to large rooms on its own. It's LOUD. With an extension cab, you'd get more headroom, certainly a lot more beans and you could play [i]any [/i]room. Or at least up to the size of room that would surely have a house PA, at which point the issue becomes moot. I think Fender have done their homework very well indeed, which would explain why these combos are shifting rapidly by the container-load.

Is it for you, though? For a punishing 50-date tour you'd need a extension cab and flight cases for sure (and backups)... though if you're touring you'd probably have crew, a tech, and could use whatever pro rig you wanted regardless of weight and haulage issues. But if you're a weekend warrior and chuck your gear in the boot of your car and park outside the pub or club you're playing in, then it's ideal. You couldn't want for more. Definitely horses for courses.

So, given the career course taken by your average real-world bass player, I'd say this is a very good horse indeed. It's light, it's loud, it's affordable and it sounds great - it's a premium brand and the retro design is on-trend. What more d'you want?[/font][/size]

Edited by discreet

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1455092302' post='2975702']
...the fender logo looks like it came out of a poundland christmas cracker... :mellow:
[/quote]

It's very crappy and definitely the worst thing about it. I may source a chrome one from somewhere.

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1455092929' post='2975707']
I recommend getting a Roq-Solid cover for it.
[/quote]

Yes, I'm ordering one today. :)

Edited by discreet

I have one of these too and my band think it sounds absolutely amazing (I'm the same as you everything flat, plug in and play!) - I'm very very pleased with it - sold my Markbass combo to get this and I've no regrets. Highly recommended.
Well done Mr Discreet - I hope you enjoy your new toy mate!

[quote name='Me And My Bass' timestamp='1455112567' post='2976006']
Anyone played one of these with an extension cab other than a fender one?
Tempted by the SWR 18" on sale here, placed under one of the rumbles.
[/quote]
I used to use mine with an Aguilar GS112, worked ok, but get a sound I prefer using the 210 rumble extension. They pair-up nicer imo.

My gf has the 100w version. After I found it too boomy typically I've now learned to eq it better.
I've read fender put a lot of work into the pre amp section from the 40w to the 500w versions all have that great pre amp. There is some interesting tech info on this floating about.
The 200 and 500w do benefit I felt from the tweeter and bigger cab (less boom) from my limited testing.

Although slightly flimsy they do seem well designed and well put together. And there all so so light.

The 100w version is fairly loud but runs out of steam half way volume. And at first I like the overdrive now I'm not keen unless it's just to add a slight bit of grit.

For a non scentific test I would like to see how the 500w combo performs against my old te 300w combo, genuinely interested as I might buy a 500w version but I would like to a/b the tone first. Also would like to see how much more head room if any it has.