Why become a member? ×

Quick and dirty valuation please

Owen

I am not selling this here. I have two friends, one wants to sell this, one wants to buy his first DB. All repairs are solid. I have known this bass for 18 years. It has been glued up properly but the screws left in on the front because they are part of it's story. It is a no label ply bass. It need new strings and could probably do with a fingerboard true-ing. I am way out of the loop on prices. You know as much about it as I and the present owner know.

What would it's nominal value be? Sorry, Photobucket is being a royal pain and not letting me upload pics.

[url="https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipPbV3CV8NaN_Lt8tPCCLXKpLBbMD2oyvXHHS-J3N1j7lxfMtSK02p91p7cKutDKmg?key=Ui1rd0c2SGRtRlVYZnIySl9QMEVON0RBaGRzS2tB"]https://photos.googl...EVON0RBaGRzS2tB[/url]

TIA

In truth, £400 strikes me as high. You can buy a perfectly acceptable starter DB for that price, and you'll know that you can either rely on it or get a full refund.

A seriously battered bass with known issues, work needing doing, and in need of new strings? £250 tops, and that's only because it comes with inherent mojo.

Wow thats some fugly repairwork, and interesting bridge positioning. Does it sound any good?

I think both your friends need to take it to a luthier together and get a quote on how much it will cost to put right, and take this into account when negotiating the price. If you broker a sale and further issues come to light when the buyer takes it for setup, it's going to get really awkward.

It has certainly seen some action and will not ever win any beauty contests, but it sounds OK, the repairs have been stable for well over a decade and my gut reaction is that it will be an affordable way in to see if DB world is where the buyer wants to be. It will also be possible to sell it on because it is at the bottom of the market.

When I was looking for a cheap-ish bass, as my first DB a few years back
I couldn't find anything in the £200 - £350 price range. They all seemed to be £400 as the cheapest, and most others well above that
Now it seems there are reasonably priced DB's everywhere lol

Having said that, as a beginner, I would probably have steered clear of the bass on seeing the repair work
They key thing here though, is that you "know" the bass, its' owner, and some of the history - so you know the repairs are solid
I'd also say it's probably worth £200 - £250. Todays market for DB's does seem rather flat....

It's been said that this bass would "win no beauty contests" - but is it me, or am I going mad?
I think the knocks and scrapes add a bit of "mojo" to it, and I quite like the colour and look of it too