Why become a member? ×

Digitech Bad Monkey / Variants / Mods

Dood

I've always known about this pedal and I do own a few different drive pedals already, but a new band on the horizon is pulling me towards a particular sound. I've just watched a review for a BM with the 'banana mod' which looks handy and online, people have mentioned the Digitech Hard Wired CM-2 is a suitably upgraded Bad Monkey?

So, If I am after this sort of pedal - Stock seems good as I will blend it anyway, but who makes variants of the pedal? I'd also really love to hear comparison recordings and see videos too as there doesn't seem to be a great deal online for bass.

Oh - and yes, I saw that a BM was sold on BC yesterday. It was only this am I decided I needed to try one ha!

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1455101913' post='2975822']
The Bad Monkey is basically a Tube Screamer with a bass control so there are about a million similar pedals.

Annoyingly the Bad Monkey (in its current form) has recently been discontinued so prices have risen slightly.
[/quote]

Yup, interestingly I have a TS (Mini) here but I think the BM is capable of more gain? The single tone control is slightly limiting too and I want to (hopefully) not have to use an EQ pedal to sculpt. Yup, I'm hoping! ha! I don't want to add more low end to the pedal input so won't mod that. but those smooth mids and no-fizz top end is what I would like to achieve.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1455102383' post='2975829']
[url="http://forum.music-group.com/showthread.php?6287-XR12-as-bass-preamp"]http://forum.music-g...-as-bass-preamp[/url]

;P

I will get you to buy one.
[/quote]

So, I missed the bit where it will run plug-ins too... Gonna need to give that a bit more attention I think!

so there are about a million similar pedals.

[/quote]

I guess my question is, out of the million similar, which are regarded as the most flexible. I'm not necessarily looking for one with a massive bass response, as I will blend anyway - but one with a tight low end, definitely not sludgy.

[quote name='ratman' timestamp='1455105306' post='2975863']
From my experience, the stock Bad Monkey doesn't retain much low end. It may work for you if you're thinking of blending though.
[/quote]

Exactly what I am after actually, yes - I'm not a fan of forcing too much low end through a distortion path. it creates a mushy character that I really don't like. I always prefer to distort mids and above, then treat the low end separately. Thank you! :)

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1455108320' post='2975932']
I'm just gonna sit here drop feeding stuff in...
[/quote]

You know me well, that's exactly what I am after :)

Gonna need to hear the new Sheehan pedal. I have the now 'old' version and I need a little more from it. I'd love to replace the tone controls with an HPF and LPF on it.

Ive had a few monkeys (mod'd and stock ) thought they were ok.also had the Cm2 ,although it sounded great i had a real problem with the volume knob......... using it as a dirty stomp i wanted the volume slightly louder than my clean , at a slight turn the knob goes from to quite to too loud ( was why i sold it)

Having gone through a few tubescreamer variants theNobel ODR-1 is really peaking my interest, John K (the highly regarded overdrive king ) over on talkbass is very very impressed with them (cheap as well £59 :-)
[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6TWdIEUZGE"]https://www.youtube....h?v=a6TWdIEUZGE[/url]

ill be getting one on the weekend if anyone wants any feedback?

Edited by danbowskill

[quote name='danbowskill' timestamp='1455125375' post='2976216']
Ive had a few monkeys (mod'd and stock ) thought they were ok.also had the Cm2 ,although it sounded great i had a real problem with the volume knob......... using it as a dirty stomp i wanted the volume slightly louder than my clean , at a slight turn the knob goes from to quite to too loud ( was why i sold it)

Having gone through a few tubescreamer variants theNobel ODR-1 is really peaking my interest, John K (the highly regarded overdrive king ) over on talkbass is very very impressed with them (cheap as well £59 :-)
[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6TWdIEUZGE"]https://www.youtube....h?v=a6TWdIEUZGE[/url]

ill be getting one on the weekend if anyone wants any feedback?
[/quote]

Thank you! I'd seen that you have had adverts in the For Sale section for Monkeys etc. I am interested to hear about the ODR-1 too so yes please!

Today, I've been messing with my pedals. I currently have managed to get a TS to do what I want, but the arrangement is a faff. I am using an EQ pedal as a boost that also includes a massive treble boost and low cut (Brian May Treble Boost idea). I'm plugging that straight in to the TS which is then being followed by a cab sim pedal to shape the tone a bit as well as getting rid of the top end fizz. The whole lot is in the loop of a Mosquite Blender giving me my low end back along with the rest of the clean signal.

Ideally, I'd like this to all happen in as few boxes as possible. I think a custom build is on the cards :)

More TS-like bass pedals for you to consider, more on the boutique side:

Xotic BB, Cusack Screamer, Rodenberg 808B

Plus the Ibanez Bass Tube Screamer of course!

Darkglass/Pike pedals sound like they'd fit the bill too. I know what you mean about tubescreamers sounding bloated with too much low end, these pedals somehow avoid this, plus the grunt/fat switches can filter out even more lows from the dirt channel if you should wish. They also sound like they have a built in speaker sim to remove any fizziness.

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='ratman' timestamp='1455132258' post='2976318']
That'd be right up Tom's street. A Tubescreamer with bass/mid/treble/presence, blend, and maybe a HPF on the wet signal too? Hmmm, could be tasty!!
[/quote]

My creative juices are flowing!! I've had contact with Tom before chrimbo but that was to do with Guitar Interactive Magazine, so I have his contact details. Something to think about! I'm off to experiment on my 'test rig' now!

Annoyingly the Bad Monkey (in its current form) has recently been discontinued so prices have risen slightly.
[/quote]

Has it? Was going to pass mine on to a friend, but no chance now!

[quote name='ratman' timestamp='1455105306' post='2975863']
From my experience, the stock Bad Monkey doesn't retain much low end. It may work for you if you're thinking of blending though.
[/quote]

I found it pretty good, not too much low end loss. Least, not for a pedal that cost twenty quid...

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1455181746' post='2976661']
I assume you're going the COG route now after listing all of the gubbins you were using to get that sound!
[/quote]

I'm in the process (and probably will for a while) of investigating! A custom route seems to make a lot of sense but I need to make sure I can nail a particular tone before committing it to a build. I'd like to put a Bad Monkey on the lab slab for a closer look though!

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1455188472' post='2976773']
I'm in the process (and probably will for a while) of investigating! A custom route seems to make a lot of sense but I need to make sure I can nail a particular tone before committing it to a build. I'd like to put a Bad Monkey on the lab slab for a closer look though!
[/quote]
Our friend [SFX] here on the forum used to sell pre-modded Bad Monkeys - maybe drop him a PM?

[quote name='iamtheelvy' timestamp='1455183826' post='2976688']

Has it? Was going to pass mine on to a friend, but no chance now!
[/quote]

Yes. Along with a whole other bunch of digitech pedals.

http://digitech.com/en/products/bad-monkey

I saw some comments from a digitech employee on another forum that implied that many of the Digitech pedals would reappear under the DOD badge.