Why become a member? ×

Bax-Shop - the new Thomann?

EBS_freak

I decided to give Bax Shop a whirl after being drawn by their very competitive prices.

I'm currently building up a fairly comprehensive rack and must say, that the saving through Bax have been significant - much like how I remember Thomann being in days gone by.

Everything has gone completely smoothly. I've ordered twice now - both on a Sunday night... both orders delivered by the following Wednesday morning. Now that's faster than Thomann fast.

Big thumbs up from me.

• Like 1

I live in Holland, like UK most small quality shops are closing down with companies like Bax and Key Music taking over.

Bax is not like Thomann. Thomann is a family owned business that became huge through performance, Bax is small in comparison and has a lot to prove over a long period of time before a comparison can me drawn.

I order at Bax now and again, from a EURO perspective they are not cheaper than Thomann; I expect the cost benefit will be short lived if the GBP to EURO changes. Forex is currently a big part of the low price points and they want to try and carve out a niche for themselves in Europe which they can only do in so many ways.

Personally I think they are ok, no more no less and prefer Thomann. More choice, better CS, longer reputation, more in stock etc etc.

• Like 1

They've got some good deals.

I bought a pair of aguilar ag 4j70 pickups from them a couple of months ago for a fair whack cheaper than they were advertised anywhere else,prompt delivery, absolutely no complaints.

They also seem to have got a fair bit of Fender Japan stuff in recently, if anyone's interested.

Edited by Cato

[quote name='HazBeen' timestamp='1455108393' post='2975934']
I live in Holland, like UK most small quality shops are closing down with companies like Bax and Key Music taking over.

Bax is not like Thomann. Thomann is a family owned business that became huge through performance, Bax is small in comparison and has a lot to prove over a long period of time before a comparison can me drawn.

I order at Bax now and again, from a EURO perspective they are not cheaper than Thomann; I expect the cost benefit will be short lived if the GBP to EURO changes. Forex is currently a big part of the low price points and they want to try and carve out a niche for themselves in Europe which they can only do in so many ways.

Personally I think they are ok, no more no less and prefer Thomann. More choice, better CS, longer reputation, more in stock etc etc.
[/quote]

Ooh thanks for the extra insight. Going to google Key in a minute also.

For me - to add to comments from others - I have been looking at a load of rack bits and bobs and that is where I have witnessed the big savings, I've ordered a couple of hundreds of pounds of stuff and saved probably fifty by going to Bax. The equivalent was cheaper than Thomanns too. I looked at a bit of bass stuff and witnessed their prices were on the whole cheaper also, hence my opening statement.

Anyway, worth checking out when shopping around to see if they can do you a good deal.

EDIT : Found Key. Nice site but not so hot on the pricing.

Edited by EBS_freak

I bought a Fender Original Precision pickup from there for a good deal less than it could be bought anywhere else. So that means it is now on my radar and, if ever I am thinking of buying something new, I will check to see how it compares. But I don't have enough store loyalty (or more likely too much of a tightwad) to shop in any one place blindly.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1455109432' post='2975948']
Do they offer a 3 year warranty like Thomann ?
[/quote]
Yes they do and I think it is a 60 day free return policy. Been using them for a while, when they are cheaper, no problems at all.
Think there is another posting on here about them.

• 9 months later...

Bax has been around for quite a while. I remember they cracked the €50M figure back in 2013.

Prices tend to be all over the place and change rapidly. They often have 'headline' deals on a couple of products from a brand that will kill all competitors but then the rest of the range are more expensive than some local suppliers. Sometimes this also means they have very limited ranges from some brands.

They've created havoc on pricing for some products / brands across Europe and caused big price wars even against massive buyers like Thomann.

This has sometimes meant that those products have virtually disappeared from other retailers because Bax are selling at virtually zero margin.

I saw a lead product from a big brand recently selling at a £9 margin on a £600 product. We de-listed it the next day. Great if you want the low price but not so good if you want to try one against a variety of other products to make an informed decision.

I've been watching GAK closely as they are being beaten on price by Bax on all sorts of things and GAK used to be my 'benchmark' for consistent good pricing in the UK.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1455123372' post='2976190']
It's funny, some items are way cheaper than over here and some are way more expensive. Same goes for Thomann.

I've also ordered items MADE IN THE UK from bikeparts.de for 60% of the typical UK price!
[/quote]

Slightly off topic but +1 on bikeparts.de, particularly for tyres.

[quote name='3below' timestamp='1481146868' post='3190121']

Slightly off topic but +1 on bikeparts.de, particularly for tyres.
[/quote]

I've been buying all my (motor)bike parts and clothing from German shops since around 2002.

Good prices, best quality gear and, mostly, great service - they generally speak better English than a lot of UK biker companies too :)

• Like 1

Dealt with Thomann for years & of course as time has gone by and the pound has dropped against the euro, they have become a less and less attractive option.
All software I buy is from the USA and although I have used Bax several times and am very pleased with their service, you DO have to cherry pick the prices.
But ny experience with Bax has been 100% reliable in terms of delivery and after sales support.
Last I looked they still have the best prices on Thomastik Infeld.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just a warning to those thinking of buying from bax music think carefully,I brought a guitar from them that turned out to be damaged, when I emailed them their customer service it is non existant and they don't answer the phone when you ring them.So if you receive anything that is not to your liking you will not get you're money back.

[quote name='Somerset' timestamp='1485634204' post='3225527']
Just a warning to those thinking of buying from bax music think carefully,I brought a guitar from them that turned out to be damaged, when I emailed them their customer service it is non existant and they don't answer the phone when you ring them.So if you receive anything that is not to your liking you will not get you're money back.
[/quote]
I have dealt with them several times and any customer service required was always on point. Most recently an Engl rackhead 1030 that I received in unopened original packaging that had a noisy hum in it. They got me a new one (I checked the product number) from Engl and kept me informed most steps of the process, without any cost to me whatsoever.
Will use again.