Why become a member? ×

Dots on the neck

ednaplate

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but does anyone know the reason frets are marked the way they are i.e.. dots on the third, fifth, seventh fret etc? Obviously the 12th fret is the octave of the open string but is there are a theory behind it that I haven't quite got yet?

I would hazard a guess that these points are where you can pick the harmonics. That is the equal subdivisions of the string. 12th halves the string, 5th quarters the string, etc. I know you can pick harmonics in other places like the fourth fret and just past the third.

5, 7 and 12 are the big ones, being 4th, 5th and 8ve (the most important intervals in western music, that go right back to the ancient Greeks and before the diatonic scale as we know it today was even invented). 3 is the most logical stopover at that end of the fretboard, likewise 9 in the middle of the board (although I've seen instruments that had a dot at fret 10 instead of 9 - which actually makes some sense as it breaks up the mid board in the same way as 3 breaks up the bottom end). Above 12 the pattern just repeats.

I dimly remember having this explained to me in great detail by a music historian. There is no official standardisation of fret markers and a great many variations were used by different manufacturers. W have arrived at the current configuration because it is generally considered to be aesthetically pleasing (neither too many nor too few markers) while having enough markers to make finding the correct fret simple.

Just one example; to my eye, Brian May's fretboard looks cluttered, despite being easier to identify frets.

Edited by colgraff

[quote name='dlloyd' timestamp='1455303345' post='2978084']
It's just convention.

I regularly jam with a guy who has a guitar with dots on the fifth, seventh, tenth and twelfth frets.
[/quote]

Back in the 70s I think the old Eko Ranger acoustics had dots at the 10th fret rather than the 9th.

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1455317137' post='2978224']
Back in the 70s I think the old Eko Ranger acoustics had dots at the 10th fret rather than the 9th.
[/quote]

My first electric (a noname from the Freeman catalogue of the time - late 1960s) had a marker at the 10th fret as well. I don't doubt many variations exist, but I'd be surprised to find any that didn't have markings at 12, 7 and 5 for the reason I gave in my previous post. Octave, fifth and fourth are historically the three most important intervals in the scale: to have any marking system that doesn't use them strikes me as simply perverse, and of extremely dubious value given what they're there for in the first place.

[quote name='ednaplate' timestamp='1455461467' post='2979266']
It would appear that the dots are only relevant for open string keys rather than for any other key...
[/quote]

Not really. The dots are placed relative to the open strings yes, but if you're going to have them at all then it's the obvious way to do it. They're just waypoint markers though and are probably best thought of as simply telling you which fret you're on at any given time. You may be overthinking it a bit, and you certainly shouldn't be relying on them as much as you seem to be - ask any double bass player! :D