Why become a member? ×

Practice amp for 5 string bass

lancer

Hi Guys,
I'm coming back to bass after a little time away and would like some advice
I need a practice type amp for bedroom levels.
My question is, what wattage/power/speaker size or any other contributing factor do I need to look at when purchasing an amp to get a good sound from an extended range bass?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated 👍

If you're not concerned about weight, there are some great bargains to be had out there for second hand Peavy / Trace Elliot type stuff. Silly money really for quality kit that will make your bass sound like a bass instead of a honky parp.

... unless you get one of the tiny trace commando things I used to have... then it will definitely sound like a honky parp.

Edited by CamdenRob

If you want to go down the actual amp route (as opposed to an fx/pedal & headphones); a combo of 50-100w from one of the decent manufacturers would probably do the job quite well.

It depends on budget really - if it was me & I didn't already have amplification at all I would probably look at getting a cheap-ish 1x12 cab (new from a shop or used from someone on here) then get one of those little hotone bass amps. This set-up would be nice & small for in the house (and a manageable volume) then later down the line you could get a bigger head for if you wanted to do gigs/band rehearsals and still use the cab (you could also add another cab for more volume with the new head).

[quote name='colgraff' timestamp='1455312338' post='2978188']
I have a TC Electronics BG250 which isn't cheap, but is smallish, light and powerful and sounds beautiful across the range. It also has other handy practice stuff like a built in tuner, aux in and headphone socket.
[/quote]

I have the Tc bg250.
Absolutely wonderful amp but sounds good from a quarter on the volume dial.
By that time my mate is already complaining from two floors down.

Ive got the tc bg250 115 and its a lovely sounding bit of kit. The toneprint app is great if you dont want the expense of effects pedals. Mine came preloaded with a chorus and a flanger. Plus its got the addition of an aux in for laptops or mp3 players and a headphone socket to passify the missus or neighbours. I often plug my laptop in when practicing along with the songster app
Cheers