Why become a member? ×

Help for a complete beginner

Guest Lee Van Cleef

Guest Lee Van Cleef

I know this is likely to draw different responses, but I had to give up trying to learn bass a few years ago because of my MA. Now I have a bit of spare time I really want to try to learn to play, from scratch.

I was wondering what would be the best resources for theory and technique that aren't too dry. I have the Hal Leonard book and find it somewhat useful, but wonder if there's anything a bit more... I don't know... Exciting?

Guest Lee Van Cleef

Cheers for that! I'm mainly into heavy metal, but I'm not averse to other music. I want to learn theory, reading music being a bonus (hence the Hal Leonard), I just hope to be able to learn things like scales and whatnot in relation to music I relate to. I'm not sure how realistic that is?

[quote name='Lee Van Cleef' timestamp='1455228527' post='2977376']
Cheers for that! I'm mainly into heavy metal, but I'm not averse to other music. I want to learn theory, reading music being a bonus (hence the Hal Leonard), I just hope to be able to learn things like scales and whatnot in relation to music I relate to. I'm not sure how realistic that is?
[/quote]

I'm also a big metal fan :) and I also love my theory... The trouble is the two very rarely go together :blink: The metal songs I write for my band are in a given key (i tend to use modes of the harmonic minor for metal) with chords related to each other.... this is the exception though as the vast majority of metal is written by bolting together totally unrelated riffs... This makes it very difficult to write harmonically interesting basslines and is basically why so many just double the guitar riff.

Edited by CamdenRob

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1455269190' post='2977584']
I'm also a big metal fan :) and I also love my theory... The trouble is the two very rarely go together :blink: The metal songs I write for my band are in a given key (i tend to use modes of the harmonic minor for metal) with chords related to each other.... this is the exception though as the vast majority of metal is written by bolting together totally unrelated riffs... This makes it very difficult to write harmonically interesting basslines and is basically why so many just double the guitar riff.
[/quote]

Well I guess it depends on the sub genre, maiden/scorpions/sabath era stuff is 95% natural minor harmonies.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Lee Van Cleef' timestamp='1455222967' post='2977281']
I know this is likely to draw different responses, but I had to give up trying to learn bass a few years ago because of my MA. Now I have a bit of spare time I really want to try to learn to play, from scratch.

I was wondering what would be the best resources for theory and technique that aren't too dry. I have the Hal Leonard book and find it somewhat useful, but wonder if there's anything a bit more... I don't know... Exciting?
[/quote]

I put together a post in [url="http://://basschat.co.uk/topic/275549-theoryreading-music-where-should-i-start/page__view__findpost__p__2942210"]this[/url] topic linking to the main theory topics on Wikipedia - exiting ? probably not, you just have to wade in, it might seem impenetrably complex to start with but one day it will just click and youl see how it all interrelates.

Edited by bassman7755

I found it very frustrating not knowing where all the notes on the fretboard were. I always thought it would all fit into place. I never really understood scales for a long time, until I really had a go at cracking the fretboard. I know everyone has a different way, but mine was simply writing each note on a piece of paper, and turning them over at random. I picked out 3 to get something going, and the first was F, A , B. Once I located the 3 notes, I found playing them all down the board a revelation, in terms of how scales are used etc. When i found you could go from F fret 1 E string,, B on the second fret A string,F on the 3rd fret D string, and B on the 4th fret G string, back to 2nd fret , G string,( basically going diagonally from F, B and octaves of ) then back to the triiangles of 4th fret G string, 2nd fret G string and 3rd fret D string, and so many combinations, all the way to the 12th fret, everything I had learned really started falling into place. Now I pick a key. and eithr Major Minor, and pick out the notes that are either in the major, or Minor keys, and finding it really helps with the notes in the scale. It works for me, but maybe not perfect. In essence, cracking the fretboard seems to be the best way to understand how things work for me.

I learnt by playing along to records I really like, just start off playing the root (fortunately I like the Ramones, all root note stuff) I find playing bass on it's own is not the most rewarding thing in the world, don't try and get too technical to start with, just enjoy it

Edited by PaulWarning

Guest Lee Van Cleef

Thanks for the responses everyone. I had some lessons with a really helpful guy called Dan, four or so years ago, who was really knowledgeable and very good at teaching. The problem was I just didn't have the time with my MA looming. At the moment I can't afford lessons or I'd probably try it again so self-teaching is what I'm going to do.

Another thing I wanted to ask, when I used to play a bit of guitar I alway found it hard to regulate the pressure I put on the strings with my fret hand, when playing, resulting in tramlines. Is there some exercise that is helpful to learn to ease off a bit because I'm not even aware I'm doing it at the time, and obviously it slows my movement down.

Guest Lee Van Cleef

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1455269190' post='2977584']

[/quote]

I'd say "I see"... But I don't really know what any of that means... Heh. Well apart from the Bolting together unrelated riffs part, because then I just imagine a Carcass song and I think I get it.

I suppose one day I hope to be able to play something by Converge, Blind Guardian or Iced Earth. But I know that's a fair way off.

To the person who suggested the Ramones, fair play. I think I learned Blitzkrieg Bop way back and that was pretty fun.