Why become a member? ×

DIY Sound Tests

Skol303

Here’s a handy thing I found online for testing the stereo image of studio monitors. It’s called the LEDR test: [i]Listening Environment Diagnostic Recording.[/i]

[url="http://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_ledr.php"]http://www.audiochec...otests_ledr.php[/url]

All very easy. Follow the instructions, play the audio files and listen to how the sound ‘moves’ up, between and behind your monitors.

My own set up - a room with fairly decent acoustic treatment - replicates all of the files as they’re supposed to sound apart from the vertical test, which it fails on quite miserably. I think it's probably due to my monitors being on the large side (8” woofers) and positioned close to my listening position. So I'm going to try shifting the placement of my monitors to improve on it.

But anyway. Don’t panic if your own system doesn’t produce the sounds as its supposed to. The test is typically used by mastering studios and home audiophiles to position monitors inch perfect.

Try it for yourself. And then try tweaking the position of your monitors and check how it affects the results.

Hours of fun. Really :)

Edited by Skol303

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1455280011' post='2977722']
Does it work with headphones?

It's a good excuse for me to buy a pair of monitors.
[/quote]

Actually yes, it does! In fact you should try it on headphones and then compare with your monitors... once you've bought some, that is ;)

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1455281405' post='2977735']
Actually yes, it does! In fact you should try it on headphones and then compare with your monitors... once you've bought some, that is ;)
[/quote]
I'm gonna give it a try when I get home (supposed to be working just now).

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1455280011' post='2977722']
Does it work with headphones? :yarr:

It's a good excuse for me to buy a pair of monitors.
[/quote]
its really good on headphones, if you like having a small steam train driving sedately through your brain. :blink:

Edited by Grangur

• 2 months later...

[b]A quick update to this thread...[/b]

Here's a page of very useful sound tests and audio test tones for checking the performance of your home music set up:

http://www.audiocheck.net/soundtestsaudiotesttones_index.php

I've been repositioning stuff at home and am happy to report that my system now passes the LEDR test (for stereo imaging) quite nicely - yay! :) No money spent, just some time and patience involved getting everything in the right location.

I've also discovered that my set up can reproduce bass frequencies down to 30Hz very comfortably - something that surprised me - and that my upper hearing frequency is between 15-16kHz.

[i](And yes, I do have a large pile of washing up to attend to... but this is helping me avoid it. Speak to my wife, she appears to have a strong opinion on this matter).[/i]

Try some of the tests out for yourself and share the results. Honestly, this is fun!!!