Why become a member? ×

Just 'invented' a 'new' B-string technique!

dannybuoy

Now when I say invented, I mean I just thought this up after playing for years and thought the results were so good I would share. There are probably countless other people already doing it and I'm just late to the party. It woudn't be the first time - I came up with a guitar riff when I was 15 only to learn a few years later that Hendrix ripped me off when a bought a new CD of unreleased material!

People always complain about the B string sounding so different to the other strings, that when you skip to the B it's always obvious since the tonality changes to much. I just came up with a simple solution, move your plucking hand further to the bridge when playing the B string. I can now play a run going from the E to the B sliding my plucking hand left and right as I do so and they now sound like the same string!

The same technique can be used in the other direction if your D & G strings are too twangy and you want to fatten them up.

My right hand used to stay anchored in the same position, now it's floating about all over the shop like it's been possessed, but my tone has improved as a result!

Anyone else already do this?

Yes. :)

Only on a four stringer, though.

I have said this before but will say again - The Rails basses that I used to have,
taught me a lot about pick-up positioning and swapping from one bass to another
told me a lot about the position that the string is plucked, as they have different areas
to anchor my thumb.

The Magnum is ideal for playing aroung with this, as the "Corral" as they Amercans call it,
the pick-up housing on a Magnum, allows you to anchor your thumb anywhere.

[url="http://flatericbassandguitar.blogspot.co.uk/2011/10/ovation-magnum-bass.html"]http://flatericbassa...agnum-bass.html[/url]

To be fair, on a guitar, this tonal movement is used a lot to get bite thru to smooth.

:)

Edited by FlatEric

• 2 weeks later...