Why become a member? ×

How do you get your bass around without a car?!

bassist_lewis

I don't fancy the wheel in the pin hole, myself - it feels like you might damage the bass if you hit a bump too hard. I'm tall enough just to wear it backpack-style given the right case, which is ok for a short walk but ultimately I think you'd end up paying for a lot of taxis...

Nowadays I'm living slightly further out of town and we have a car, but living in the city centre with no car I used a combination of an endpin wheel, shoulder strap, buses (outside of the rush hour) and the occasional black cab. While some people worry about damaging the instrument with an endpin wheel, my wheel has done so many miles that the tread is wearing off the tyre yet I have never damaged my 100-year old bass using it. If you choose one with a pneumatic tyre, keep the tyre fairly soft and take care with kerbs then it's not a big issue IMO.
A shoulder strap is a very useful thing, especially as the wheel makes the bass too tall to easily get in and out of buses or taxis. Rather than relying on the sewn-on straps on a case, I have one which fastens around the bass neck outside of the case and has a loop for the endpin at the bottom, similar to this one: [url="http://www.bassbags.co.uk/product/double-bass-carrying-strap-black/"]http://www.bassbags.co.uk/product/double-bass-carrying-strap-black/[/url]

• 1 month later...

Just as Mr. Beer sais, buses -here in Edinburgh at least- are a perfect way to get around!
Chose a good bag with reliable shoulder-straps and have some padding where the bass meets your lower back and you'll be able to walk quite a bit without discomfort. I always thought about getting a wheel, but never really needed one...

The bass buggy (http://www.kcstrings.com/bass-buggie/) was recommended to me by Laurence Dixon and using it for the first time last week I definitely agree with him.
I travelled on the tube right across London and back (with lots of changes) & extra couple of hours walking - it made the whole experience a lot easier than I imagined it could be
Hope this helps

Depends on the bass. Black cabs, buses, trams etc are fine as required, for walking I find I can comfortably carry my Duke bass with a shoulder strap on one shoulder and that arm reaching down to hold the front carry handle. I can probably walk for 20 minutes like that because the weight distributes out nicely. My Strunal, on the other hand, is like carrying a wardrobe, so I either drive straight to the venue or leave it at home...if your bass is more like the latter then maybe a wheel is the way