Why become a member? ×

Pick technique

offhegoes

I've always avoided using a pick and I'm now looking to develop that side of things - starting with that straight forward chugging away on the root sound used in nearly every pop-punk song. My question is how precise is the picking technique used here? Specifically if I'm playing on the A string and putting a fair bit of force into it should I be still avoiding the E string carefully, and the others? Or do I just let it hit other string too and use my fretting hand to mute? With my thumb hooked round to mute the E string?

Basic question I know, just never known or got round to asking anyone!

Im sure it's pretty open ended. Whatever works best for you to give your sound etc.
But from my point of view, work on accuracy of your picking. i.e picking just the string you intend play.
It'll do no harm if you mute the unplayed strings with your palm too, but if you get your accuracy up initially, you can decide to play however you want in future, in the knowledge you can be precise if you need/want to be.
When picking it's always useful to think of economy of motion too. The up and down picking motion should come from your wrist, not your elbow.
This will help you later on if you want to play something fast.
Hope that helps

My technique is a combination of muting with my fretting hand and palm muting.

Say for example I'm picking the A string, I'll mute the E with my palm/wrist and I'll mite the D and G with the fingers of my fretting hand.

I've also just noticed that when I play with a pick, i mute all of the strings at the bridge with my wrist and non-pick holding fingers. I rarely hit the string with the intention of having it ring out, I just use varying degrees of pressure of muting on the other strings.

I used to play with my picking hand strumming all over the place, but now my wrist is almost always firmly planted at the bridge.

• 3 weeks later...

Whatever you do, you want to make sure you're muting the other strings effectively with the left hand. For example, if you're chugging away on the A string, it's important to have at least one left hand finger covering the low E string. That way, if you want to 'showboat' and hit all the strings, it doesn't make a horrible racket! You can also do this with the thumb, but it limits your left hand dexterity and reach.

I learned pick playing for guitar and then 'imported' it to bass, although it's definitely not the same technique. one thing I've found useful is learning to skip strings 'inside outside' and 'outside inside', that way, if you need to pull off a 'fill, you won't get caught out. I can explain this in more detail if you like

For example

/\ \/
A----------------0
E-----------0-------

\/ /\
A----------------0
E-----------0-------

One more thing - learn to play songs that you already know fingerstyle with a pick again, and try to learn stuff that's more than just single string chugging away. I'll try and think of some examples.