Why become a member? ×

What's happened to Trace Elliot?

MarkG3

Any one know any inside news about them? The news section on their website hasn't been updated for 3 years, have peavey brushed them under the carpet or are they on the verge of announcing new lightweight amps and cabs? It's a shame as I've always liked the trace elliot gear I've had in the past, barring the weight

Doesn't answer your question, but it looks like a year ago it was still being actively distributed in France but not the UK: [url="http://www.mi-pro.co.uk/news/read/namm-2015-barnes-mullins-take-on-peavey-distribution/019623#after-ad"]http://www.mi-pro.co.uk/news/read/namm-2015-barnes-mullins-take-on-peavey-distribution/019623#after-ad[/url]

There was a post on here a while back from Paul Stevens (designer, engineer and electronics whizz from the '90s and Peavey days) suggesting that there was something new on the horizon. I googled him and it looks like he's gone to Black Star recently.. :unsure:

I think that Peavey has quietly let the band trail off. The first sign was when manufacturing was moved from the UK to the USA. The second was Paul Stevens leaving.

I think that the new line of Trace Elliot missed the boat a bit. They sounded alright but they were still big and heavy and had that 'hi-fi mid cut' sound in an era where people wanted 'lightweight', 'flat sounding' or 'gritty valve' type qualities from their amps.

I still have a set of the Peavey era Trace Elliot speakers. They are pretty good.

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1455876336' post='2983119']
The TE website doesn't appear to have been updated for some considerable time.

It's won't be long until TE is no more I imagine.
[/quote]

...again... A sad piece of deja vu for a great, badly mistreated brand.

I actually asked Chris Goodwin, the International Customer Service Manager at TE about reducing the weight in my 7215 combo earlier today. He replied to my query after which I asked about development of the Class D head - waiting for his response. I'll post it on receipt.

I could save 10LB by changing to a Neodynium magnet speaker - with it weighing 35KG, not really that significant. Love this part of the review:

[font=Verdana, Arial][size=3]"A compact and [i]reasonably[/i] lightweight combo amp with 300 watts of power. The 7215 uses Trace's GP-7 preamp to give excellent control with a clear user interface."[/size][/font]

Edited by TheGreek

A few years back, I was busy lugging my heavy old Trace combo from gig to gig, an acquaintance of mine told me he was thinking of trying out this new amp by someone called Mark Bass.
Never heard of him I said. It will never catch on..... :unsure:

Edited by Hobbayne

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1456269827' post='2987365']
A few years back, I was busy lugging my heavy old Trace combo from gig to gig, an acquaintance of mine told me he was thinking of trying out this new amp by someone called Mark Bass.
Never heard of him I said. It will never catch on..... :unsure:
[/quote]Maybe it is me but Mark Bass seem to be on the wane too now.

• 8 months later...

iv used trace for years.. would never change as for me all the current offerings and lightweight stuff just dont cut it.. and nothing sounds like a trace.. im running an ah1200 head and a pair of 1015's.. heads actually still under warranty, had a fault with it last year.. but no one was interested in sorting it despite warranty, i have tried every avenue to ge hold of trace elliot to no avail for over a year now.. looks like they have gone.. not great as i paid 1200 quid for the head, plus another grand for the cabs.. sounds stunning as you would expect.. but looks like im going to have to keep it alive for a very long time as i literally cant find anything i'd replace it for..sad.. very sad..

My "new Trace" is the Retroglide 800 from Ashdown (owned by Mr Gooday, who was a long time owner of TE) Hasn't got the slap switch, but its small, light, powerful and has a 12 band graphic...nothing else. Its a really nice little amp. Very different to every other amp they currently sell...but I guess they couldn't resist?

Crashdown should buy Trace - at least they'd stand a fighting chance!

Their current ABM / Rootmaster ranges could continue flying the Ashdown flag and the quirky 'modern but hark back to our heritage' type ranges such as the 'Superfly', 'Retroglide' and the 'Tonal Enhancement' plus possibly a new model could run the Trace badge. Ashdown win on all fronts as it extends their range plus the Trace brand gets access to new tech and we'd see some new amps. Maybe they could re-introduce the acoustiic range too - not sure Ashdown still make the 'acoustic radiator' series? Top of my list would be a new V-Type range but can't see that ever happening as the CTM range seems quite popular and probably not different enough to justify developing..

Peavey still own Trace Elliot. They brought out a new line in about 2006, construction was moved to the US soon after that. Nothing has been announced since they launched their acoustic stuff about five years ago. There is the odd forum post from a supposed Peavey employee talking about new products being worked on, but nothing of substance.

I'm pretty sure Peavey are paying no attention to the brand, as otherwise they would have proceeded with litigation against this guy's removal service, unless this is actually Peavey's idea of a relaunch!

http://trace-elliot.co.uk

The problem with TE, IMO, is that the GP was so integral and only valves in the chain could sort it out. That sound is outdated and things move on.

SWR and a Jazz was the beginning of the end for TE, imo. Always new kids on the block..except Ampeg who are still in denial..:lol: