Why become a member? ×

Ashdown Envelope Filter (or other cheap options with downward sweep)

Beer of the Bass

I've noticed that the Ashdown envelope filters go quite cheaply used, the silvery grey ones with the meter on the top. Are they worth a punt? I fancy something that can do the Mutron-esque downwards sweep "boww" sound, and it seems like many of the cheaper envelope filters are upwards only.
Or is there anything else that's cheap and worth looking at for this? I suppose I could DIY something, but I have too many projects awaiting my attention as it is.

Edited by Beer of the Bass

I don't own one but the YouTube videos make the Ashdown sound pretty weak IMO. Personally I'd go for either a second hand big box Q Tron or Enigma Q Balls. I own both and I reckon they can both nail the Mu Tron sound and the bwap down sweep is very strong on either. The Q Balls takes more dialling in though. You can often pick either of themm up second hand for £50-60 if you look around.

Agree with the above, also the Source Audio filters can cop a good down sweep too. I've sold my Zoom units now, but they have a really good Q-Tron model in them, although I can't remember if they can do a down sweep, anyone able to confirm?

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1455914719' post='2983680']
Agree with the above, also the Source Audio filters can cop a good down sweep too. I've sold my Zoom units now, but they have a really good Q-Tron model in them, although I can't remember if they can do a down sweep, anyone able to confirm?
[/quote]

That was another thought - if the filter in the Zooms does what I need, I could certainly find a few other uses for one too. Probably the MS60B, as I may not need everything in the B3 and the B1on/B1Xon look a bit too plasticky for gigging. Having a quick peek at the manual, the way the sensitivity is numbered from -10 to +10 suggests it might have a reverse sweep.

Edited by Beer of the Bass

I used to have one of the Ashdown ones and felt that it was OK, if not a bit bulky. I now have an EBS BassIQ and a Bassballs - both more than adequate for the job, both recommended.

The MXR seems to be well fancied here - maybe for good reason. Advice from other BCers??

• 8 months later...

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1455914719' post='2983680']
[/quote]

I can't see how to make the Zoom version of the Q-Tron (they call it a Z-Tron) do the down sweep. I am beginning to regret selling my EBS Bass IQ on this forum for that very reason.

I have the Ashdown pedal. To be honest it is a bit weak, as are the other Ashdown pedals! However, the envelope filter does hold its space on my pedal board because it gives me a big attack surge for the heavily distorted sound I need sometimes.

I can't comment on the similarity to the other pedals mentioned on this thread. However, you're welcome to come and give it a test drive if you are near Hampshire.